duffman27

Really mixed it up last night

4 posts in this topic

Was a beautiful night, so rather than drive to the gym I chose to talk a nice walk. No Headphones, Mrs D and My Dog Bethany took a 4+ mile walk along the Lake. Was very relaxing and I accomplished a decent cardio session without driving 30 minutes to the gym. I drive 90 minutes a day to work and back and on gym nights it adds another hour of driving. I will have to post some pictures of my route as lake Champlain is Beautiful.

That sounds nice. I live in the inner city of Rochester, so my walks are generally in the downtown area, which I don't mind but it's nice to get out further to the suburbs and walk along the Erie Canal and things too!

duffman27 likes this

You definitely don't need to go to a gym to get a good workout. It's taken me years, but I have collected the right assortment of goodies for good workouts at home. The treadmill was the biggest investment, but considering that running is my thing, buying it was a great choice. I also have a decent bike, but I'm not a big fan of riding. Beyond that I have an incline bench with leg curl and preacher curl attachments, two 25# plates, pairs of hand weights in 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, 12, and 15# increments, and exercise balls in 45, 55, and 65 cm, plus exercise bands and the perfect post in the basement to use as an anchor. (I just need to replace my nice exercise mat that my husband cannibalized for some household projects.)

For many people these items would simply collect dust. For me they represent the means and opportunity to actually get in regular workouts. The drive to the gym is a deal breaker for me, but I will set my alarm 40 minutes early and get it done. In fact, I value putting my needs first in the day, before I need to do anything for anybody else, and I enjoy having that time to myself. But add driving to or from anywhere, and the time investment would be too much.

Cuban_Momma and duffman27 like this

I really like the gym. I am competitive by nature. I  still play Hockey and have a fire that burns inside me. When at the gym I am pushing myself as I am looking around and watching others work out. I am going for one more rep, I am trying to run faster and longer. I ahhve equipment at home and do take advantage when I have things to do around the house, but..I push myself harder at the gym

WendyH likes this