bellamoma

Have you heard of ThreadUP? I do NOT recommend for selling your clothes!

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! So I am an anti-packrat. If it's no longer useful, it goes.  I had some nice shoes and clothing (both mine and my kids) that were in great condition, so I looked into ThreadUP.  They have partnered with Macy's- they send you a bag, you fill it and send it in (postage is pre-paid by them).  They promise a fair evaluation for your goods, and pay you in Macy's credits to use in the store.  Seemed like a win-win.  Except that I easily donated about $400. worth of nice clothes and shoes and they only credited me ten dollars.  TEN. DOLLARS.. I know lots of folks here are looking for ways to get rid of their old clothes.  ThreadUP, in my opinion, ain't one of them.  (PS- fine to get stuff from them, you can find some deals, just don't give them your nice stuff!)

Murk, Connie77 and Lidia6321 like this

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering about them, and have so much to sell right now.

ive been too lazy to list on eBay, but maybe I should get over that!

Connie77, bellamoma and mburnsb1 like this

1 hour ago, bellamoma said:

Hi everyone! So I am an anti-packrat. If it's no longer useful, it goes.  I had some nice shoes and clothing (both mine and my kids) that were in great condition, so I looked into ThreadUP.  They have partnered with Macy's- they send you a bag, you fill it and send it in (postage is pre-paid by them).  They promise a fair evaluation for your goods, and pay you in Macy's credits to use in the store.  Seemed like a win-win.  Except that I easily donated about $400. worth of nice clothes and shoes and they only credited me ten dollars.  TEN. DOLLARS.. I know lots of folks here are looking for ways to get rid of their old clothes.  ThreadUP, in my opinion, ain't one of them.  (PS- fine to get stuff from them, you can find some deals, just don't give them your nice stuff!)

Wow. You'd get a better tax deduction by donating $400 in clothing to Goodwill. I will check out to buy but not donate. Thanks for letting us know!

bellamoma likes this

As word gets out that they are so chintzy with their valuations, their selection will suffer, so now may be the time to buy, before it implodes.

bellamoma likes this

6 hours ago, GAviv said:

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering about them, and have so much to sell right now.

I'm in the market for cute jeans and capris in size 6 if you have anything! Tops are an extra small-small but I figured that's the size you're wearing too so unless you're bored with them it would only be bottoms! 

bellamoma likes this

31 minutes ago, JulieW said:

I'm in the market for cute jeans and capris in size 6 if you have anything! Tops are an extra small-small but I figured that's the size you're wearing too so unless you're bored with them it would only be bottoms! 

I will let you know once I get through my bins! What about size 4 jeans? You are tiny!!

bellamoma likes this

I often donate to purple heart, but when I saw the promise of macy's cash I thought it would be a great way to finance my new wardrobe.  I was so wrong! Anyway, do check it out for some good buys, Wendy may be right, get while the gettin's good :)

Edited by bellamoma

7 hours ago, WendyH said:

As word gets out that they are so chintzy with their valuations, their selection will suffer, so now may be the time to buy, before it implodes.

Good point Wendy. I've bought several things from them but have never sold through them. Thanks for the advice Bellamoma. 

bellamoma likes this

2 hours ago, GAviv said:

I will let you know once I get through my bins! What about size 4 jeans? You are tiny!!

My skinnies are size 6. I honestly haven't tried any pants on for a couple months now. I'll have to get to the store and see what fits! I think I just have wide hips! 

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 0:57 PM, GAviv said:

If you still have anything left in size 10 pants or size medium/large tops please let me know!!!!

53 minutes ago, mburnsb1 said:

If you still have anything left in size 10 pants or size medium/large tops please let me know!!!!

I don't have that available, sorry! Have you looked on eBay? I bought a lot there as I was going down in size.

Personally I give everything away. It blesses me to bless other people and it always comes back to you one way or another. If that isn't your thing you can always try a local consignment shop. Typically they run 70/30 or 60/40. Just remember to pick your things up at the end of each season if they don't sell otherwise they will be donated. 

bellamoma likes this

As a shopper: I've used Poshmark a lot, not sure if you've heard of them. I've bought a bunch of handbags from there. Thanks for the tip on the experience with ThreadUp/Macy's.

Otherwise, I donate clothes usually.

bellamoma likes this