bellamoma

Have you heard of ThreadUP? I do NOT recommend for selling your clothes!

19 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! So I am an anti-packrat. If it's no longer useful, it goes.  I had some nice shoes and clothing (both mine and my kids) that were in great condition, so I looked into ThreadUP.  They have partnered with Macy's- they send you a bag, you fill it and send it in (postage is pre-paid by them).  They promise a fair evaluation for your goods, and pay you in Macy's credits to use in the store.  Seemed like a win-win.  Except that I easily donated about $400. worth of nice clothes and shoes and they only credited me ten dollars.  TEN. DOLLARS.. I know lots of folks here are looking for ways to get rid of their old clothes.  ThreadUP, in my opinion, ain't one of them.  (PS- fine to get stuff from them, you can find some deals, just don't give them your nice stuff!)

Connie77, Lidia6321 and Murk like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering about them, and have so much to sell right now.

ive been too lazy to list on eBay, but maybe I should get over that!

Connie77, bellamoma and mburnsb1 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bellamoma said:

Hi everyone! So I am an anti-packrat. If it's no longer useful, it goes.  I had some nice shoes and clothing (both mine and my kids) that were in great condition, so I looked into ThreadUP.  They have partnered with Macy's- they send you a bag, you fill it and send it in (postage is pre-paid by them).  They promise a fair evaluation for your goods, and pay you in Macy's credits to use in the store.  Seemed like a win-win.  Except that I easily donated about $400. worth of nice clothes and shoes and they only credited me ten dollars.  TEN. DOLLARS.. I know lots of folks here are looking for ways to get rid of their old clothes.  ThreadUP, in my opinion, ain't one of them.  (PS- fine to get stuff from them, you can find some deals, just don't give them your nice stuff!)

Wow. You'd get a better tax deduction by donating $400 in clothing to Goodwill. I will check out to buy but not donate. Thanks for letting us know!

bellamoma likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As word gets out that they are so chintzy with their valuations, their selection will suffer, so now may be the time to buy, before it implodes.

bellamoma likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GAviv said:

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering about them, and have so much to sell right now.

ive been too lazy to list on eBay, but maybe I should get over that!

I'm in the market for cute jeans and capris in size 6 if you have anything! Tops are an extra small-small but I figured that's the size you're wearing too so unless you're bored with them it would only be bottoms! 

bellamoma likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, JulieW said:

I'm in the market for cute jeans and capris in size 6 if you have anything! Tops are an extra small-small but I figured that's the size you're wearing too so unless you're bored with them it would only be bottoms! 

I will let you know once I get through my bins! What about size 4 jeans? You are tiny!!

bellamoma likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I often donate to purple heart, but when I saw the promise of macy's cash I thought it would be a great way to finance my new wardrobe.  I was so wrong! Anyway, do check it out for some good buys, Wendy may be right, get while the gettin's good :)

 

Edited by bellamoma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WendyH said:

As word gets out that they are so chintzy with their valuations, their selection will suffer, so now may be the time to buy, before it implodes.

Good point Wendy. I've bought several things from them but have never sold through them. Thanks for the advice Bellamoma. 

bellamoma likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GAviv said:

I will let you know once I get through my bins! What about size 4 jeans? You are tiny!!

My skinnies are size 6. I honestly haven't tried any pants on for a couple months now. I'll have to get to the store and see what fits! I think I just have wide hips! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 0:57 PM, GAviv said:

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering about them, and have so much to sell right now.

ive been too lazy to list on eBay, but maybe I should get over that!

If you still have anything left in size 10 pants or size medium/large tops please let me know!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, mburnsb1 said:

If you still have anything left in size 10 pants or size medium/large tops please let me know!!!!

I don't have that available, sorry! Have you looked on eBay? I bought a lot there as I was going down in size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I give everything away. It blesses me to bless other people and it always comes back to you one way or another. If that isn't your thing you can always try a local consignment shop. Typically they run 70/30 or 60/40. Just remember to pick your things up at the end of each season if they don't sell otherwise they will be donated. 

BurgundyBoy and bellamoma like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a shopper: I've used Poshmark a lot, not sure if you've heard of them. I've bought a bunch of handbags from there. Thanks for the tip on the experience with ThreadUp/Macy's.

Otherwise, I donate clothes usually.

bellamoma likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, Bellamoma, for the heads-up about selling to ThreadUp. Good to know and I will spread the word to friends and family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$10?!?! Geesh! Really not worth it!

I personally don't donate to Goodwill because of things I have read about them, but I do call the Veterans of America who are much better w/ the money and workers and donations etc. AND they come pick up your stuff for free!!!  I usually set up an appt on line and then it forces me to go clean out a closet (plus then things don't end up "waiting" in the back of my car for a Goodwill run)! :) (you can read about donation places on line)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2016 at 11:20 PM, bellamoma said:

Hi everyone! So I am an anti-packrat. If it's no longer useful, it goes.  I had some nice shoes and clothing (both mine and my kids) that were in great condition, so I looked into ThreadUP.  They have partnered with Macy's- they send you a bag, you fill it and send it in (postage is pre-paid by them).  They promise a fair evaluation for your goods, and pay you in Macy's credits to use in the store.  Seemed like a win-win.  Except that I easily donated about $400. worth of nice clothes and shoes and they only credited me ten dollars.  TEN. DOLLARS.. I know lots of folks here are looking for ways to get rid of their old clothes.  ThreadUP, in my opinion, ain't one of them.  (PS- fine to get stuff from them, you can find some deals, just don't give them your nice stuff!)

I know this is an old thread... but... 

Used clothes, unless they are in great shape, get boxed up and sold abroad. I work in East Africa and US clothes wholesale there for $0.50 a pound, which is the way they are sold, by the pound. (One bad element is the cheap hand-me-downs from the US suppress local clothes manufacture in Africa). They are not worth very much if anything.  Here in Boston, unless you are consigning your Giorgio Armani suit... not likely it will be worth very much - so I target my old clothes to people who can really benefit from them. 

I purposefully have donated my otherwise in good shape clothes - good button down collared work shirts, wool pants and jackets suitable for work - to agencies which direct them to the homeless, who often lack good clothes in which to seek a job or keep a job. The line between being homeless or not is often a medical expense or a missed paycheck.... it could be me in a slightly different world. The clothes that are ratty become household rags, the good ones are targeted to people who need 'em. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BurgundyBoy, yes this is true. my husband is west african and we see the clothes you're talking about over there all the time.  they are treasured. we try to send as much to our family there as possible.  they have their own beautiful clothes, but man, if it's from AMERICA?they love it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@bellamoma I was in West Africa in May and was with a young man who was clearly wearing a US castoff, his shirt said "I'm in Miami B*tch". Lol, he had no idea what it said but liked the bright colors.

BurgundyBoy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes!!!!! my husband just showed me a pic of an elderly lady wearing a bright green and white t shirt that was totally and completely vulgar- she had no idea. that kind of thing breaks my heart.  but yes! you'll see that! i make sure my mother in law doesn't get any of those things haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now