chrissyrode

Sleeve to RNY 4/18

22 posts in this topic

Hi friends, 

I've been home for a couple of days now following my revision repairs. On Monday, my surgeon repaired my 3 1/2 yr old sleeve to a full bypass and also fixed a hernia that was causing my stomach to be pulled down out of normal position. I was suffering terribly from acid reflux, especially at night. I wasn't nervous at all - I just wanted to feel better! I hadn't had any other problems with my sleeve and was quite happy with the results I had gotten. 

The surgery went perfectly. I spent 2 days in the hospital. I was NPO for the first day and water trials started at 6 am the following morning. I had a very good hospital experience - the care was excellent, and the human well-being care was superb! I was given full fresh linens twice daily and was given the encouragement to sponge bathe myself as I woke up on day 2. It felt so good to just feel clean! The nursing staff was just awesome - I can't say it enough! I had excellent pain management and assistance. I walked the first evening quite a bit, and was encouraged every 2 hours or so to get up and move. I did have some gas pain that settled into my shoulder, but otherwise - it wasn't nearly as painful as I remembered my sleeve surgery being. I could get in and out of bed or the reclining chair fairly easily, unlike with the sleeve. One major difference this time - I have a drain hanging from my right side. I went in on Monday at 283 - I came home at 300.... Lots of fluids to move! 

I came home Wednesday morning, fairly early! The ride home was pretty comfortable - again, very different from having my sleeve done. I got settled in and unpacked - but still had gas pain that was bothering me. I walked the back yard with my dog, rested/napped on and off. I've been documenting my day's happenings to share with the surgeon on Monday's apt (drain removal). So far so good. Each day is better and better! 

I've been able to get in 3 shakes and my 64 oz of water each day easily. I am feeling pretty good and haven't had pain meds since yesterday morning. I do, however, WANT to eat. I forgot how hard this stage is. I have to be on clear liquids and shakes until Wednesday. I've been enjoying broth, sf gelatin, and sf popsicles. My husband has been home, which is good! But - I have to say... It's hard to have meals with him. I'm trying to be as normal as possible - just eating widely different than he is... But yikes! I keep telling myself I can't have that stuff yet - it'll destroy my insides (which, I won't sway) but I can't say I don't want it.  I'm trying not to be grumpy about food. It's tough. 

I keep sipping my shakes and g1 stuff - did you feel full from liquids in the beginning? 

Thanks & more soon! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by chrissyrode
Add pictures
WendyH, LeeC, rxmom2007 and 1 other like this

Congratulations on your revision Chrissy - sounds like you're off to a great start.

Are you rid of the acid reflux problem now?  

Congratulations! And good luck!

Glad all went well!

I think it is pretty universal on the liquid thing with sleeve or bypass early out -   once again all those nerves and such were cut and messed with;  I shouldn't think it is unusual at all to not feel full off of fluids.  Also remember now that you are bypass you no longer have the pyloric value which holds that in -  it kind of just run right through now (compared to sleeve with the valve that is).

I'm glad to hear that things have gone so well so far. After as miserable as you've been, you deserve easy. You'll get through the yucky part of advancing your diet. Hang in there. :D

Down 9 lbs from last Monday - and the 17 from surgery is also gone!

Feeling good - no pain meds and no naps since Friday. My drain comes out this afternoon! Yay! 

Edited by chrissyrode
rxmom2007, srattee and WendyH like this

The drain removal was quite possibly the weirdest thing I've ever felt. Blaaaah!

The good  news is - it's out! And Wednesday I can move to stage 2 diet. Surgeon and dietician are happy with my progress so far. 

WendyH likes this

Good to hear about your progress!!!  I am looking at maybe having to do the same thing, revise from a sleeve to bypass due to acid reflux.  I have more testing next month.

chrissyrode and srattee like this

Rxmom2007 -  so far it's been completely acid free for me. Granted - today, I've just started on stage 2 diet, but so far no reflux at all.

The deciding factor for me was the night it came out my nose and I woke up choking with reflux coming out my nose. I couldn't live in that state any longer. Once I called my surgeon that morning with what had happened - it went pretty quickly. They did opt for a less invasive dilation first to see if that did the trick. Sadly, it didn't. I didn't realize how many people suffer with GERD after sleeve that never had it prior to surgery. I know it's a crap-shoot; but I just never thought I would be one of 'those' repaired people they talk about. Frankly, I'm so glad that I am. I FEEL so much better & it's only day 10 post-op. 

I just had revision surgery from VSG to bypass on 4/9.  So far I'm happy with my decision but I've still been having some reflux so I am wondering if I had a hernia that needed repairing and that didn't happen.  I guess I just wait and give my stomach more time to heal and see if it the reflux stops.  It's definitely much better than it was before.

chrissyrode and rxmom2007 like this

Chrissy, how are you doing now?  It's looking more and more likely that I will have to revise from VSG to by-pass.  I had an endoscopy in May and it shows chronic inflammation of the esophagus and upper stomach.  Had another medicine added and not too excited about that.  

Hey! Doing well! I am still reflux free and feeling great. I have also had the benefit of losing about 30lbs since my revision - hopefully I can keep that going! I am learning to eat again - so far the only thing that's really bothered me was fish... but I feel like it might have been too dry. I'll try again at some point! 

I go back to the surgeon in mid July, that's my first round of blood work post revision... so we'll see where I'm really at.  

Hey guys - I'm in this boat too, terrible acid reflux about a year and half post sleeve and strongly considering a revision. I have a question on insurance. Did ya'll have any issues? Did you have to go through all the hoops of getting approved like the first time around? 

I have UHC and no issues just take a few extra days to get approved. Before surgery if you have not tried dexilant for reflux it may help. It is alot stronger then anything you can get OTC.

Edited by srattee

NashvilleGirl - I had absolutely no problems with insurance and have blue cross. 

58 minutes ago, chrissyrode said:

NashvilleGirl - I had absolutely no problems with insurance and have blue cross. 

There are many plans under the blue cross banner, just saying -- they are not all the same.

tmcgee - that's very true! Many companies have different offerings based on what the employer sets up.

I have excellus PPO - and am fairly positive that when my revision was coded in it was to repair the sleeve due to reflux, rather than hiatial hernia (It too got fixed, but wasn't the primary reason for surgery). I've learned that a lot of the approval process is all in how it's coded to be submitted to the insurance company. The requirements on my end for the approval weren't as stringent as the initial surgery. 

Thanks for the feedback! I personally have an Aetna PPO, they weren't difficult the first time around (even though I heard crazy stories about Aetna) so fingers crossed for this time around. 

That bit of coding information is definitely good to know! The more knowledge you have going in makes things go much smoother. I appreciate it.

So got my approval from Aetna for the revision (yay) but it shows approved for 1 hospital night, this seems too quick! For the Sleeve, i was in for 2.5 days and they said I was ahead of the curve. 

How many nights did everyone stay in the hospital? (with no complications) Would you recommend I try to tackle this with Aetna directly or through my Surgeon? Thanks! 

I was overnight for 2 with my revision. I didn't have as much pain as with my sleeve and was up & down out of bed walking and sitting in an armchair. I did get pain meds for the first night on the button, but by night 2 I had liquid pain meds - so I would see if your surgeon can write something or submit something to the effect of 'pain management'.

Monday is surgery date, gulp. Nervous and excited. I think I'm ready..getting things in order. I really hope I don't have a lot of cravings as family is coming to visit 2 week later and their also foodies and wine lovers. I never had to deal with dumping, probably part of the reason for the weight gain now in highly nervous! I work with a lot of ppl and I don't want to have that conversation as I learn what works and what doesn't. 

Question to ya'll - when and what did you do for exercise? How soon after and what type? Big gyms or small classes? I really want to tone and be easy on the knees.

looking for ideas for liquid/purée stage too! Thanks guys

7 hours ago, NashvilleGirl said:

Question to ya'll - when and what did you do for exercise? How soon after and what type? Big gyms or small classes? I really want to tone and be easy on the knees.

Straight out of the gate, walking should be your focus and they'll be getting you out of bed pretty soon after surgery to do that.  And the more you walk (and keep up with your fluids), the easier your recovery will be.

I had a large hernia repair with my RNY so wasn't able to do any other form of exercise for 6 weeks other than walking.  I walked A LOT and I built my pace up so that my heart rate and breathing were increased.

To this day, walking at a stiff pace is the one form of exercise I enjoy - I do 3 miles every day (I have a treadmill with an incline).