Cuban_Momma

When do you work out?

9 posts in this topic

I am curious about what time of day most people have found works best for them to work out? Morning? Afternoon, Evening? Not at all?

I tried the evenings after work, but quickly gave up on that after I cancelled one to many times because of working late (a lot), homework problems and afterschool activity pickups.  I tried at night after everything was done (about 10 pm) but couldn't work up the energy for that. Mornings seem to work best. I can get up early and get it out of the way without any other responsibilities getting in the way. Until recently. My husband has surgery, and needs several months rehab. So while he is in recovery, I have to leave the house 1 hr earlier than usual to take my son to school. (he used to do that) That was the time I usually worked out and to be honest, I can't get myself up 2 hours earlier than normal to workout before having to take him to school. My workouts have fallen to the wayside, and I can't seem to find the time/energy to start again.

Just looking for some thoughts and ideas.

Although working out is a great idea to support cardiovascular health and fitness, as well as additional benefits of stress management and increased energy level, it is not essential to weight loss. I prefer to work out in the mornings for the same reasons you do, but I was sidelined with a bone injury in my tibia during the time when I wanted to build up to running, and I'm still grappling with getting a solid foothold into an exercise routine. Even so, I have lost 100% of my excess body weight, and I am now working up to being able to run again.

You need to take care of yourself first. If your husband were permenantly disabled, I would recommend that you figure out where to fit exercise into your life. However, there is a light at the end of your tunnel and a genuine desire to settle into a fitness regimen.

Based on your current circumstances, I would consider whether the first step in establishing that regimen is picking a start date after you're done with the extraordinary circumstances, and focus on getting sufficient sleep.

Cuban_Momma likes this

I usually work out after work, but I also have to work late/go to class/do homework sometimes so I'll fit in a 1/2 walk at lunch instead. Is that an option for you?

Cuban_Momma likes this

I am not a morning person at all -  it takes will power just to get up to start work at 7 (or 8 usually cause I can't be bothered to get up at 7).  I usually go for a walk on my 70 min lunch break and because I often work until 8pm, I don't go to the gym until late evening.   It also is not abnormal to find me heading out for a walk at 10, 11pm if I wasn't able to get much of anything else in the day.  Because I sit for pretty much 12 hours a day, I really try and get some sort of movement - even if that just means a 15 min walk at 11:30pm.

Cuban_Momma likes this

I gotta go with "not at all".  I work 60-80 hours a week, as well as housework, yardwork, and horses to take care of.  The last thing I want to do after all that is exercise.  If I get a chance I may go on a hike with my dog a couple times/month, but  I have a recumbent bike and Nordic track collecting dust in my spare room.   

Cuban_Momma likes this

I generally workout in the evening. I'm not a gym person so I have a collection of DVDs and equipment that I utilize at home.

If it's an option for you, I suggest DVDs or YouTube. There are tons of options.

Cuban_Momma likes this

I usually do some form of exercise after work, but am thinking of getting up at 430 in the morning to do a bit of morning workout. I had heard somewhere that if you workout in the morning it is better for the body for some reason, but I forgot why... has anyone else heard that morning workouts are better? 

Cuban_Momma likes this

I work out in the evenings during the week and the mornings during the weekend. I try to time my workout so it does not take away from family time.

Cuban_Momma likes this

I love to exercise, and have for a very long time. Since WLS, I have upped my mileage and tried new things. I workout at the gym doing HIIT 5-6:30am on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Wednesdays, I do a short run at lunch or early afternoon with a friend that works near my office. On Fridays, I generally do a long bike ride or swim in the morning before work. Saturday mornings are my long run. Sunday mornings I swim and run or swim and bike. If I am not Tri training, I do a HIIT class with my husband on his schedule. Mondays are a firm rest day...I also work late on most mondays, so I don't like starting too early :)

duffman27 and Cuban_Momma like this