duffman27

Routine Change/results

17 posts in this topic

I have changed up my workout routine, added the climber to my routine and it makes me sweat. I have also cut my calorie and sodium intake. My appetite has been low recently. ( not a bad thing) These changes have resulted in more weight loss. I am now down to 184. I was 192 almost 4 weeks ago. I will adjust accordingly. I want to get to normal BMI again. 178......

LeeC and Jolls like this

That's outstanding Duff!  You're just 5.5 lb away from your lowest (178.4 lb).

Kudos to you for getting on that climber - my knees can't it and I'm not upset about it.  Those machines are brutal.

Stephtay and duffman27 like this

Bodies usually respond to change :)   GREAT !   I wish my gym had some cool stuff.

duffman27 likes this

I like mixing it up. Pre-wls I would do 45 - 60 mins on one machine. Now when I do cardio, the only machine I am on for longer than 10 mins is the treadmill. But I will vary the speed and incline. I am a big fan of the versa climber. 5 minutes on that and I am exhausted and my legs are wobbly.

duffman27 likes this

I took a very wise persons advice on this and it is working!

Mike, just so you know, your decision to kick up your workouts a notch has inspired me to get off my duff and get moving. Less than a week ago I got back on the treadmill after never getting fully into the swing of exercising on this weight loss journey. I did it again today, and it was easier. I had a better sense of my endurance level and paced myself better. I still did a mile in 13 minutes, alternating between 4.0 and 6.0 mph, but my intervals had a better sense of rhythm. And it occurred to me that I actually have a goal in mind. I want to be comfortably doing three mile runs so that one mile feels like a warm-up. Then I'll layer on strength training once I can do a warm-up run. 

But for now it's one minute at 4.0, thirty seconds at 6.0, one minute at 4.0, thirty seconds at 6.0. Lather, rinse, repeat for one mile (13 minutes).

Hey, Mike, once you get back from vacation, let us know where you stand on your exercise routine.

As for me, I have identified a short-term goal to work toward, and I started on it today. My kids' school district is having a 5K/1mi run/walk on Sunday 5/15. My goal is to run the one mile course without walking.

Today I slowed down my top speed on my intervals from a 10 minute mile to an 11 minute mile. I can run two minutes at that pace with one minute walk breaks between. Ran a positive split, though. Last two intervals were 1.5 minutes instead of two. I'll flip it next time.

On 4/26/2016 at 1:31 PM, WendyH said:

Today I slowed down my top speed on my intervals from a 10 minute mile to an 11 minute mile. I can run two minutes at that pace with one minute walk breaks between. Ran a positive split, though. Last two intervals were 1.5 minutes instead of two. I'll flip it next time.

I forget if my last workout was Thurs or Fri, but I did flip around my split, starting with shorter intervals and progressively lengthening them.

Today I slowed down my top speed even more to lengthen my intervals further. I ran an evenly paced session with four three-minute intervals at a 12-minute mile pace with a one-minute walk at a 15-minute mile pace between each one. It was a very satisfying and not overly strenuous. It feels good to know I can run a quarter mile non-stop.

Day after tomorrow, I think I'll do another one just like today's, and then the one after that I'll stretch the top speed to three four-minute intervals.

My goal is to close the intervals and be able to run a mile non-stop by two weeks from today. I will continue to rest every other day to make sure my body thoroughly recovers between each workout (no more bone injuries for me).

I think it's totally doable.

duffman27 likes this

Well, that was satisfying and a testament to having a goal and a plan. After getting my youngest son on the school bus this morning, I had a 20 minute window before the light turned green on the twins' clock.

As I described the day before yesterday, I planned to do an 18 minute workout today, so I grabbed my window of opportunity. I skipped weighing and left on yesterday's jeans that I'd thrown on to walk my son to the bus. I put on my running shoes and slipped on a sports bra. I grabbed a water bottle and threw a schrunchie into my hair on the way downstairs. I skipped putting on my heart rate monitor and jumped on the treadmill. I put on my headband, headphones, and safety clip as I did my one-minute walk before my first running interval.

I got today's run in before the twins got up. I'm one step closer to being able to run one mile non-stop by a week from Sunday. Mission accomplished.

Hi Wendy -

I did workout and run on Vacation, I did NOT eat very well though. I still have not stepped on the scale. I know my body and I am getting close to my comfort zone. I am gaining muscle. my legs, my butt, my core , my chest, shoulders and neck and my biceps are all noticeable and muscular. certainly not perfect, but I am happy with what is going on with my body.

WendyH likes this

Today is my every other day rest day. Yesterday I did my planned workout, quick walking warm-up followed by three four-minute intervals at 5.0 mph (12 minute mile), with a walking cool-down. 

Tomorrow will be similar but tagging on a fourth interval. I'll seek four minutes but will be okay with a minimum of two. My plan is for the extra distance to prepare me for two six-minute intervals on Monday in an effort to close the gaps between the intervals.

It's kind of weird to be training to run one mile, but that's where I am right now.

Little bird and duffman27 like this

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 10:51 AM, duffman27 said:

Hi Wendy -

I did workout and run on Vacation, I did NOT eat very well though. I still have not stepped on the scale. I know my body and I am getting close to my comfort zone. I am gaining muscle. my legs, my butt, my core , my chest, shoulders and neck and my biceps are all noticeable and muscular. certainly not perfect, but I am happy with what is going on with my body.

I guess we know I was in denial when I posted this.....

WendyH likes this

4 hours ago, duffman27 said:

I guess we know I was in denial when I posted this.....

So what's next?

I have an appointment with my program on 05/19, I think I am going to be asking for some help with the issues I am having as far as obsessing about the scale. I am driving myself crazy 

I slacked off for a few days. I haven't been on the treadmill since Thursday. I hadn't thought through getting on the treadmill today. Then I picked up the workout pants I got from Amazon and threw a pair on to make sure they fit so I could throw away the packaging. Once I had them on, all of a sudden it was time to go running. 

So today I got on the treadmill, and after having a strong workout five days ago, I figured, let's just run a mile straight, so I did. No walk breaks, no fatigue, just ran a mile. I stopped and will observe my rest day tomorrow, because regardless of what my cardio fitness will support, I need to make sure I build up my body composition to support the additional stress on my body without getting injured.

MarktheNerd likes this

Wendy, your mile run is this weekend, so I wanted to ask how you are feeling? I am excited for you and I think you are going to do great. I also wanted to say that intervals are super good for cal burn and many people actually do a much faster overall pace with an interval. I run with a group that does 30 second walk/2 min runs that are sub 9. It is crazy cool. And they can go forever!!!

WendyH and MarktheNerd like this

Mission accomplished. 1 mile in 11:31 with no walking.

rsz_120160515_094551.jpg

Edited by WendyH
Flip picture
duffman27 and Clickin like this