Punk_Noodles

A recipe for healthy cookies or nutrition bar?

Hey Everybody!!

I hope I'm not the only one that is craving something sweet! Is there such a way to make a "healthy cookie"? or a homemade nutritional bar? I was thinking of buying a nutritional bar in the store but I didn't want to pay a lot of $$$ and end up not liking it. 

Does anybody have a recipe they're willing to share? What should I use? Has anybody had any luck using a sugar substitute? Please help!

I did a forum search for "cookies" - there seem to be some interesting recipes but I can't vouch for any of them.  I prefer to use protein shakes.

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/search/?&q=cookies&type=forums_topic&search_in=titles

4 minutes ago, cinwa said:

I did a forum search for "cookies" - there seem to be some interesting recipes but I can't vouch for any of them.  I prefer to use protein shakes.

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/search/?&q=cookies&type=forums_topic&search_in=titles

Thank you Cinwa~~^_^

I just want to throw a word of caution out there for anyone who may happen to read -   I have made, and posted, 'healthier treat' type things and while they are good and can fill the need;  I encourage everyone to still view them as treats that should be had in moderation.   Unfortunately for me I do not do well with moderation and I tend to eat the batch of 'whatever it is I made' in no time flat which defeats the purpose of making something healthy only to eat it all in less time then is intended.  Anyway.....  not everyone is like me but I like to put it out there.

For a sweets craving I usually eat my Calcium Chews;  I have chocolate, caramel, raspberry and lemon flavors and they almost always hit the spot for me  (but I also don't crave sweets often).  Otherwise protein shakes or fruit or fruit/yogurt or jello or sugar free pudding have been other alternatives.

Trim Healthy Mama recipes use sugar substitutes and there's a lot of options for sweet treats that have some nutritional value (like black bean brownies). There's Facebook groups and tons of ideas on Pinterest. Also, I've seen some people make "cookies" out of Quest bars, which if you have a local GNC, can be bought by the bar, so you won't be stuck with a whole box if you don't like a flavor. Since I'm still working on hitting my daily protein goal and, like Jolls, have some issues with moderation, I haven't made anything in a while, but those are some options. I'd just encourage you to be careful since it can be a slippery slope (at least for me). Hope that helps! :)

22 hours ago, athenarose said:

Trim Healthy Mama recipes use sugar substitutes and there's a lot of options for sweet treats that have some nutritional value (like black bean brownies). There's Facebook groups and tons of ideas on Pinterest. Also, I've seen some people make "cookies" out of Quest bars, which if you have a local GNC, can be bought by the bar, so you won't be stuck with a whole box if you don't like a flavor. Since I'm still working on hitting my daily protein goal and, like Jolls, have some issues with moderation, I haven't made anything in a while, but those are some options. I'd just encourage you to be careful since it can be a slippery slope (at least for me). Hope that helps! :)

Thank you Athenarose! Ya, that sounds good I will check out Pinterest! but it's probably best to stay away from goodies :P

On 3/6/2016 at 9:00 PM, Jolls said:

I just want to throw a word of caution out there for anyone who may happen to read -   I have made, and posted, 'healthier treat' type things and while they are good and can fill the need;  I encourage everyone to still view them as treats that should be had in moderation.   Unfortunately for me I do not do well with moderation and I tend to eat the batch of 'whatever it is I made' in no time flat which defeats the purpose of making something healthy only to eat it all in less time then is intended.  Anyway.....  not everyone is like me but I like to put it out there.

For a sweets craving I usually eat my Calcium Chews;  I have chocolate, caramel, raspberry and lemon flavors and they almost always hit the spot for me  (but I also don't crave sweets often).  Otherwise protein shakes or fruit or fruit/yogurt or jello or sugar free pudding have been other alternatives.

You're right! treats and goodies should be the very last thing on my list. I just want to find a healthier alternative. Where do you find the Calcium Chews?

12 minutes ago, Punk_Noodles said:

You're right! treats and goodies should be the very last thing on my list. I just want to find a healthier alternative. Where do you find the Calcium Chews?

I like Celebrate Soft Chews

I was having a terrible craving for some gooey, chocolatey goodness from the oven this weekend and tried a recipe from Pinterest.  They were good right out of the oven and satisfied that craving, but aren't that great once cooled off (kind of chewy). 

2 ripe bananas, mushed, stir in 1 cup of oats and 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips.  Drop onto greased pan and bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees.

I went out and raked leaves all afternoon and burned off those extra carbs.  It doesn't make a huge batch which is good.  If I make them again, I'm going to stir in some peanut butter flavored protein powder and see how that tastes. 

I avoid sweet treats most of the time but sometimes a relatively healthful alternative hits the spot.  I stay completely away from things I have had trouble with in the past, like oreos and snickers. 

I use the Bariatric Advantage Chews.  I use the 250mg ones and I wait for a sale then buy like 10 bags. 

There are other calcium chews out there you can find locally -  whichever one you do choose though;  it is best to get a Calcium Citrate one (and not the Calcium Carbonate).  

Edited by Jolls

Have you ever ordered the sample pack from Celebrate? They offer several versions of soft chews (multivitamins & calcium) and they're pretty good about including a good number of them in the sample packs. It might be worth the $3 just to have different flavors on hand to try (and maybe you'll find a new favorite or two to satisfy your sweet craving).

I make these fairly often. After they cool I put them in the freezer in baggies, and I'll take a couple in my lunch box. I buy the natural crunchy Market Pantry peanut butter at Target, and use the Market Pantry mini chocolate chips. I buy the rolled oats at Trader Joe's. Each batch makes about 20 cookies. I use a small cookie scoop and bake for 17 minutes. I entered the info in MFP and each cookie has 63 calories. If you wanted to avoid the sugar in the chocolate chips you could leave them out or substitute with some chopped craisins or other dried fruit for a little sweetness. 

http://mydarlingvegan.com/2014/02/4-ingredient-chocolate-chip-peanut-butter-cookies/

Recently I found this recipe on FB:

http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/1075205/low-carb-gooey-skillet-brownie-for-two?adbpl=FB&adbpr=sheknows.com&adbpi=1075205

I've made it twice, and it's really yummy. I like that it's small. I divide into 4 portions. I use almond meal and Swerve sweetener. My sister loved it too! I didn't add anything like ice cream or whipped cream. It's delicious all by itself.

On 3/7/2016 at 11:41 AM, msmarymac said:

I went out and raked leaves all afternoon and burned off those extra carbs.  It doesn't make a huge batch which is good.  If I make them again, I'm going to stir in some peanut butter flavored protein powder and see how that tastes. 

I

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... but doesn't the protein in protein powders degrade in hot foods/baking? Might want to do some research on that.

27 minutes ago, Sue Dohnim said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... but doesn't the protein in protein powders degrade in hot foods/baking? Might want to do some research on that.

Sue, Pea protein doesn't degrade when "baked".  I've used it in pancake mixes (instead of 2 cups of flour, I used one cup flour the other pea protein).  The pancakes were probably slightly on the chewy side, but after not having pancakes for 6 months I didn't care!

On March 7, 2016 at 1:18 PM, cherylm321 said:

I make these fairly often. After they cool I put them in the freezer in baggies, and I'll take a couple in my lunch box. I buy the natural crunchy Market Pantry peanut butter at Target, and use the Market Pantry mini chocolate chips. I buy the rolled oats at Trader Joe's. Each batch makes about 20 cookies. I use a small cookie scoop and bake for 17 minutes. I entered the info in MFP and each cookie has 63 calories. If you wanted to avoid the sugar in the chocolate chips you could leave them out or substitute with some chopped craisins or other dried fruit for a little sweetness. 

http://mydarlingvegan.com/2014/02/4-ingredient-chocolate-chip-peanut-butter-cookies/

http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/1075205/low-carb-gooey-skillet-brownie-for-two?adbpl=FB&adbpr=sheknows.com&adbpi=1075205

I've made it twice, and it's really yummy. I like that it's small. I divide into 4 portions. I use almond meal and Swerve sweetener. My sister loved it too! I didn't add anything like ice cream or whipped cream. It's delicious all by itself.

Do these taste like banana?

3 hours ago, Sue Dohnim said:

I often wondered about that too myself... Anybody here know?

30 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

30 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

On 3/7/2016 at 11:18 AM, cherylm321 said:

Thank you! I know having a goodie every now and then can be guilt free :P

You can bake with the protein powders especially the more name brand ones at least like Syntrax and plenty of others.

4 hours ago, Jolls said:

You can bake with the protein powders especially the more name brand ones at least like Syntrax and plenty of others.

Interesting! I often wondered if warming up a chocolate protein powder would taste like hot cocoa... 

5 hours ago, Punk_Noodles said:

Interesting! I often wondered if warming up a chocolate protein powder would taste like hot cocoa... 

Many people like them better microwaved them for a few seconds. For the baking, soften in the microwave, cut into 8 pieces, smash flat, and bake. I prefer my bars "straight up", but no matter what variety and amount of heat you apply, unless you add ingredients to it, it's still the same nutrition bar. 

Protein bars tend to be carb heavy. Many here (including me) eat Quest Bars. They have a better balance of protein and carbs, and much of the carb content is fiber. I've also seen that the Oh Yeah One Bar tastes pretty good. I haven't had opportunity to try it, but the nutrition on it looks good.

15 hours ago, Sue Dohnim said:

From what I understand, the protein remains intact with heat such as baking.  The problem with protein powders and heat is that it tend to "clump" over a certain temp, so if using it in liquids like soup, coffee, hot chocolate it can be clumpy if above a certain temperature (and I don't remember what that temp is).  I do know I had that happen with the Unjury chicken soup flavor but it didn't bother me, still tasted good.

56 minutes ago, msmarymac said:

From what I understand, the protein remains intact with heat such as baking.  The problem with protein powders and heat is that it tend to "clump" over a certain temp, so if using it in liquids like soup, coffee, hot chocolate it can be clumpy if above a certain temperature (and I don't remember what that temp is).  I do know I had that happen with the Unjury chicken soup flavor but it didn't bother me, still tasted good.

From Unjury's website:

For all UNJURY® flavors, do not use in liquids hotter than 140º F. Proteins, when heated, change texture. For example, you have seen an egg white go from a clear gel, to firm white, when cooked. For UNJURY®, in a hot liquid, the proteins tend to clump. A food thermometer is a good way to get the temperature nicely warm…just right.

I did a search on baking with Unjury (I'm assuming it would apply to other protein powders).

The protein quality of UNJURY will not be compromised when you bake with it. You will still be getting all of the high quality protein benefits of UNJURY! When cooking with UNJURY there are 2 things you should keep in mind:

1.     The protein will absorb water
2.     Whey promotes browning

Here is what I suggest:

1. When you add UNJURY to batter, such as muffin batter, the batter will become very stiff. When this happens, add more liquid (water) to bring the batter back to the desired consistency. *If you forget to add more liquid your product will turn out very dry.

2.You may notice that your product browns faster than usual. This is normal, in fact bakers actually add whey to breads for a nice brown color........

UNJURY(R) Protein 
Medical Quality Protein (tm)
1 800 517 5111

19 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

No-they taste mostly of the peanut butter. The banana is pretty subtle.

21 minutes ago, cherylm321 said:

No-they taste mostly of the peanut butter. The banana is pretty subtle.

Thanks Cheryl!

13 hours ago, msmarymac said:

Okay, good - I knew there was something about the proteins and heat, but couldn't remember. Thank you!