helpi'mfatagain

Maintaining

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone had any long term success with wls if so how are you doing it or is it a fact that you're bound to gain the weight back ?

I'm close to 8 1/2 years post RNY.  

True, a lot of WLS have some rebound after reaching their goal.  I have not but that's due to the fact that I still stick with my programme and weigh/measure everything with calories.

Res Ipsa, GAviv and JulieW like this

I had 35# regain when I was about 40...middle age spread and all....I went on a ketogenic way of eating and lost 25# and have maintained the re-loss for almost 2 years....it's 12 years for me this year in May

Res Ipsa likes this

I'm only 26 months out, so not really long term, but I have maintained with no regain for over 1 1/2 years.

Res Ipsa likes this

I began my weight loss in August 2013, had my gastric bypass in November 2013, lost a total of about 125 pounds to reach my goal weight, and have been a bit below my goal weight ever since with no weight regain (see chart below).  It is not inevitable that there is weight regain with weight loss surgery.  However, I am fairly careful what I eat, I take a walk almost every day, and whenever I gain a couple of pounds (usually after a nice vacation) I immediately crack down on my diet in order to drop the extra pounds.  Weight loss surgery turned me from a fat and unhealthy person into a skinny and healthy person - it changed my life and my health.

Remember that weight loss surgery is a tool, a powerful tool, but just a tool.  Like any tool it needs to be used properly - which in this case means sticking to the diet given to you by your surgeon.  People who do not stick to their post-surgery diets will not be able to succeed long term with their weight loss.

weight.png.1af43e3a6ea7573c82caad38f2590282.png

Edited by Res Ipsa
ThinCVT likes this