Judy2877

Anybody 9-10 years out & regaining or struggling to stay on track?

16 posts in this topic

I am new to this site am going to start the 5 day pouch test tomorrow but am still worried about my pouch. I feel that I have restretched it because I can eat a large amount of food but then also have days where if I don't eat much, I get super full fast with a few bites. I still get dumping syndrome from time to time but not not like I should. I can eat certain sweets & be ok but wish I would get the dumping syndrome so I wouldn't eat it period. I found that throughout the years I have slowly slipped into my bad habits again & that scares me. I am gaining weight again & I know I need to do something quick to stop it. I would like to connect with someone with the same problem so we can try to help each other through this problem & connect with everybody else that has had gastric bypass as well.

Edited by Judy2877

My wife had surgery ten years ago, and she is experiencing the same thing as you. She also has other health issues like diabetes and Parkinson's, and she is dying. I have no idea what I can do for her, but I do try. We've been married 39 years in September, and I don't want to lose her.

You already know what worked for you after surgery -- go back to those things, and it should get you on track again. My wife won't, although I do try to encourage her without being a jerk about it.

Waisting, NC63, Judy2877 and 5 others like this

Thank you tmcgee I am so sorry to hear your wife isn't doing well, & that's never an easy thing to go through or to watch your loved ones slowly slip away...I'm sorry. It has been tough as the years have passed, I don't know how I got myself back into my old habits again, I know I have lost a lot, even loved ones, have been really depressed & stressed out beyond my limits these past 5 1/2 years so without paying attention I have put my health behind me yet again. I am back at being overweight, I too have medical issues & this is the reason I need to do something to get back on track to become healthy again. I used to always workout, be active & full of energy after my surgery but now I work full time, am a single mother at this time, & always tired. I feel as if I failed myself. I eat whatever because I am too tired to prepare meals at times, which isnt good at all. I wish your wife & you the best, & my prayers are with you both.

Edited by Judy2877
Res Ipsa and tmcgee like this

6 hours ago, Judy2877 said:

I need to do something to get back on track to become healthy again. I used to always workout, be active & full of energy after my surgery but now I work full time, am a single mother at this time, & always tired. I feel as if I failed myself. I eat whatever because I am too tired to prepare meals at times, which isnt good at all.

I just recently lost all my excess weight, and people ask if I have so much more energy. Truthfully, I don't. I'm tired all the time. One son just started Early Intervention, with a preschool assessment looming, because he got started so late, and I have a big meeting this week to get another started on an IEP. Two more start kindergarten next year, so on top of needing to take a day off to take my youngest to his preschool assessment, I also need to take two days off during the next month and a half to get them enrolled in school. We have six kids total, two of whom started college this year, so my husband is working much more than he used to, spending most weeks out if town. I've been struggling at work, making my job situation uncertain, so when our au pair finished her assignment with us earlier this month, we sent her home without replacing her, and my mom came up from Texas to help out. Of course she had rotator cuff surgery in November, so she has to fly home for doctor appointments periodically, and we have to figure out back-up child care for the days she's gone. So yeah, I'm tired, but I am much more capable of dealing with everything than I was before.

What I would say to you is plan ahead and think things through. Have some canned chicken and tuna around the house and some canned vegetables as back-up. Grab a rotisserie chicken at Costco and throw some broccoli in the steamer for a quick and easy dinner. Cook breakfast for dinner sometimes. Kids like it, and eggs are quick and have a good nutritional profile (eggbeaters are even better if you like them). Eat a bowl of cottage cheese (my kids love eating that). Have a cheese stick as a snack. Or some beef jerky. Put spaghetti sauce from a jar over grilled chicken or some cauliflower. Have a Dannon Light and Fit Greek yogurt for breakfast. I also routinely have a shake while feeding my family a meal.

Plan ahead and keep the items you need in your house to make the right decision also be the easy one.

Edited by WendyH
Added mention of the younger twins and more food ideas.
Judy2877, Waisting, debbio and 2 others like this

Thank you. Yes life can definitely get busy & feel like there is not enough time. I am starting the 5 day pouch test today, I have stocked up on canned tuna which is very easy to get to. When it comes to cooking actual meals is my struggle because by the time I get home from work, & cook something, its getting late. My daughter & I usually eat sandwiches, soups, mac n cheese, not filled much with protein so it leaves me feeling hungry. When I do have time to cook, its usually not too bad, I cook eggs, chicken, fish, pork, rarely red meat. I eat salads, veggies, rarely any rice, maybe once a month pasta. So I don't choose too bad of foods, I am working on portionizing again too. I am not someone into sweets but occasionally I will have a candy, birthdays a piece of cake. Those are the things I wish I wouldn't tolorate. I know it's not often having them items but being able to tolorate them doesn't help me from eating them. I will take your advice & try to have chicken on hand, I want to try to prep cook but I have a hard time with the taste of leftover already cooked chicked or pork, it has a taste to me that I dont care for but I am willing to work on it to make this work. Making breakfast for dinner was something I used to do, I think I'll try that again too.Thank you so much for some tips.☺

NC63 likes this

16 hours ago, tmcgee said:

My wife had surgery ten years ago, and she is experiencing the same thing as you. She also has other health issues like diabetes and Parkinson's, and she is dying. I have no idea what I can do for her, but I do try. We've been married 39 years in September, and I don't want to lose her.

You already know what worked for you after surgery -- go back to those things, and it should get you on track again. My wife won't, although I do try to encourage her without being a jerk about it.

Sorry to hear about your wife Tom. Sending you a big hug.

Waisting and tmcgee like this

18 hours ago, Stephtay said:

Sorry to hear about your wife Tom. Sending you a big hug.

Yes, so sorry Tom. 

Waisting and Stephtay like this

I regained 35 pounds around 8 years post-op....lost 25 by going on a ketogenic diet and have maintained it for 2 years..turning the big 40  and leanrin to live as a middle age person is different! I'm 12 years out this May

On 2/29/2016 at 11:10 PM, tmcgee said:

Hugs to you, Tom.

Waisting and Res Ipsa like this

On 2/28/2016 at 11:19 PM, Judy2877 said:

I am new to this site am going to start the 5 day pouch test tomorrow but am still worried about my pouch. I feel that I have restretched it because I can eat a large amount of food but then also have days where if I don't eat much, I get super full fast with a few bites. I still get dumping syndrome from time to time but not not like I should. I can eat certain sweets & be ok but wish I would get the dumping syndrome so I wouldn't eat it period. I found that throughout the years I have slowly slipped into my bad habits again & that scares me. I am gaining weight again & I know I need to do something quick to stop it. I would like to connect with someone with the same problem so we can try to help each other through this problem & connect with everybody else that has had gastric bypass as well.

Judy,  I will be 7 years out on April 28th 2010. I lost down 10 pounds below goal and was a little bit on the thin side. I have now put back on 30 pounds from my smallest. I started this past Tuesday cutting out the junk because I was eating anything I wanted just small amounts. I have lost 3 pounds in 3 days. I think the key is to remember that just because we can eat a larger amount still or can eat sweets without getting sick we have to have the control not to or to limit how much and how often we do. I know that is the hardest part because if I could control that I would not have needed to have surgery. I am reading on this site more I read everyday for 5 years now have just come back a handful of times in 2 years. I am reading more to keep myself aware of some of the things I have forgot and getting tips and support from others. I wish you well on your journey just remember always take one day at a time. Crash diets don't work so start by cutting back on a or 2 things that are a trigger for you and then go from there. Best of luck on your sucess I know you can do this. 

I am 6 years out. My weight is now starting to creep back. I broke my foot in the fall, so that was a set back for the last 3 months. My bad eating habits have resurfaced after all this time. I also binge drink now. I do have days I can endless eat and other days my pouch feels small. I can't figure out why this is happening. Does anyone know? How big is our pouch after many years? 

I need to buckle down , any support would be helpful. :)

Res Ipsa likes this

27 minutes ago, Brends said:

I am 6 years out. My weight is now starting to creep back. I broke my foot in the fall, so that was a set back for the last 3 months. My bad eating habits have resurfaced after all this time. I also binge drink now. I do have days I can endless eat and other days my pouch feels small. I can't figure out why this is happening. Does anyone know? How big is our pouch after many years? 

I need to buckle down , any support would be helpful. :)

First of all, relax - you can do this. Remember that your gastric bypass is still in your body ready to help you lose weight. 

Now is the time to go back to basics - eat only the post operation lean protein based diet, drastically limit carbs, drink lots of liquids, take your vitamins, follow the rule of drinking no liquids from 30 minutes before eating a meal until 30 minutes after eating, and be as active as you can. Get unhealthy food out of your house, even if you gave to throw it away, and out of your diet. No booze, please, it is empty calories and a problem.  And stay off the scale for a week.

I think that you will love seeing a real weight loss at the end of the week, which should inspire you for week two of the same, etc. You really can get your weight back under control. It will take a few weeks or even months, but then you will be in great shape for summer and summer clothing. 

Remember, nothing (truly nothing) tastes as good as skinny feels. 

By the way, it is normal for many of us to have days when we can eat a lot more.  Plan your meals and don't keep eating just because you can.

We are here to support you!

Waisting likes this

Hello I am new to this group and I am having the same issue as you are it's scary and I feel like a failure I am going back to the things I did post surgery I have a bad time not drinking while I eat and I thought my pouch was stretching but if I eat just a couple pieces of steak I feel full and kind of sick but I don't get hunger for hours so I have to go back to more proteins and see if that helps I am 6 years out and still never got to my goal weight came close but just could never rid those last 10 pounds now as time past I need to lose 40 to get there now

5 hours ago, Daughter1 said:

Hello I am new to this group and I am having the same issue as you are it's scary and I feel like a failure I am going back to the things I did post surgery I have a bad time not drinking while I eat and I thought my pouch was stretching but if I eat just a couple pieces of steak I feel full and kind of sick but I don't get hunger for hours so I have to go back to more proteins and see if that helps I am 6 years out and still never got to my goal weight came close but just could never rid those last 10 pounds now as time past I need to lose 40 to get there now

You are not a failure. You have lost a lot of weight and have kept most of it off after six years. You rock! :)

In terms of losing some more weight now and getting back on track, many people here have had a lot of success kicking off their weight loss after some regain with the Five Day Pouch test:

http://www.5daypouchtest.com/plan/theplan.html

Otherwise, you just need to get the unhealthy food out of your house, and get back right now to your post op diet basics of a low carb high protein diet.  This guide from one of the best hospitals in Boston should be helpful in reminding you about the proper diet and vitamins (the same plan applies to both the bypass and the sleeve):

https://www.tuftsmedicalcenter.org/~/media/Brochures/TuftsMC/Patient Care Services/Departments and Services/Weight and Wellness Center/GBP Diet Manual12611.ashx

You can do it, and we are here to support you!

Waisting likes this

Thank you I am going check those sites out I have however started today made sure I had nothing near me to drink while I am eating but one more thing I love soup like my husband says he never seen someone like it like myself I could eat homemade chicken noodle soup daily I use no yolks noodles celery carrots chicken thighs I used to use breast but I take one bite or two and feel sick like it's not digesting properly but I then can't eat for a while after that...is soup considered a slider food the broth is clear with can of cream of mushroom added still pretty thin though.

Non-cream based soups generally are good things to eat as long as they have a fairly high meat (protein) content. To that end, cream of mushroom soup is not the best soup choice. Better choices would be beef or turkey chili, beef stew, chicken soup with lots of chicken in it, etc.