Punk_Noodles

Pureed and soft foods?

16 posts in this topic

I am three weeks post and I am now at the pureed stage. It's really difficult trying to find things to eat ( that is pureed) does anybody have any suggestions or recipes they can share? It feels like my meals at this stage is very limited. 

also, how much food can our stomachs hold at this point? getting full happens too often and its uncomfortable. Thank you everybody!

i had my surgery the day before you. I was having trouble with pureeds, and even more trouble getting my head to understand that a few bites was all I could handle.  My surgeon's plan allows pureed chicken and fish (tuna), well as pureed bean soups, refried beans, cottage cheese (pureed), hummus, thinned out mashed potato, soft scrambled eggs, grits, cream of wheat.  I can only have a few bites before i feel like it's in my chest.  I had to learn to stop before I got to that point.  So even though i'm allowed 1/4 cup, i half that and make it last 20 minutes.  i'm allowed to go back for the remaining portion if i'm not full yet, but that doesn't happen.  It is amazing how little my sleeve can hold.  They said that's ok for this stage and that it will get easier as time goes by.  My advice is to not think of your "meal" as a whole lot for now.  it's not that Yay! finally some food! kind of thing. it's sit, take a tiny bite, make it last forever, wait a minute or two, take a tiny bite...even if the food tastes glorious, that's about all you'll be able to get in.  If you keep going, your sleeve sure will tell you.  I know mine has! Good luck!

Thanks bellamoma! ya, just the thought of pureed chicken to me is like eating something foreign ( just the thought of the texture taking on a whole new concept). I really haven't been pushing too much on the food because I actually get sick from liquids at this point, but when I do eat, I don't want that uncomfortable fullness but I am going to use your suggestion, make them tiny bites last..... :rolleyes:

In the early days I was considering putting pizza or Chinese food in the juicer. :)

bellamoma, LeeC and Punk_Noodles like this

Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, tuna....I kind of stuck with this stuff plus my protein shakes....the thought of puréed chicken or meat made me sick. It's temporary, so just stick with your plan.

Aw. We have two thumbs down on puréed chicken. My favorite purée meal was puréed chicken with puréed black beans and a sprinkle of sharp cheddar warmed in the microwave. 

I used canned chicken and canned black beans, leaving enough liquid in the beans to yield a runny texture. I puréed each separately with the stick mixer. The extra moisture in the beans thinned out the chicken a bit, which helped it go down.

Im craving the chinese food!! 

11 hours ago, tmcgee said:

In the early days I was considering putting pizza or Chinese food in the juicer. :)

I can't wait to have some chinese!! hehehehe

tmcgee likes this

It's hard when youre so limited... I just can't wait for this stage to be over!! Thank you everybody for your suggestions! :P

Pureed food is just a short phase Punk_Noodles.  You can do this.

Punk_Noodles likes this

Baby food (lol, does anyone really do that?), yogurt (no fruit pieces), pureed meat, cottage cheese, SF pudding, cream of wheat/oatmeal (needs to be runny consistancy), pureed veggies/fruit (no skin/seeds), strained soups, beans,   It is kind of a limiting phase but it doesn't last long.  Since we can eat so little at this point anyway, I still primarily used shakes still with a bit of yogurt, cottage or beans thrown into the mix.  It was for 2 weeks so just a few limited options I didn't really find an issue.

Quantity kind of follows the week you are on:

0-2 weeks =  0-2 ounces
2-4 weeks = 2-4 ounces
4-6 weeks = 4-6 ounces
6-8 weeks and forever = 6-8 ounces

You do not NEED to eat these amount -  they are just guidelines to stay within to prevent accidental over eating until the nerve connections are all working again and you know your new full feeling warning.  Progress as your sleeve allows -  you do not need to rush it.  If you can't eat more then 2oz on week 4 that is perfectly fine and normal....  progress as the sleeve allows.

12 hours ago, Punk_Noodles said:

I eat a little bit of it, when my daughter and son in law bring some home. I peel the batter off the chicken fingers, and there are a few other things I'll eat, but not many.

LeeC likes this

22 hours ago, Punk_Noodles said:

I eat egg drop soup about once a week.

On 2/21/2016 at 5:24 AM, cinwa said:

Pureed food is just a short phase Punk_Noodles.  You can do this.

Thank youI I really need the encouragement!! somedays can really be emotional:blink:

12 hours ago, WendyH said:

I eat egg drop soup about once a week.

OMG that sounds good too!! Yummy

22 hours ago, tmcgee said:

I eat a little bit of it, when my daughter and son in law bring some home. I peel the batter off the chicken fingers, and there are a few other things I'll eat, but not many.

You're giving me some great ideas!! ;):P

On 2/21/2016 at 6:29 AM, Jolls said:

Baby food (lol, does anyone really do that?), yogurt (no fruit pieces), pureed meat, cottage cheese, SF pudding, cream of wheat/oatmeal (needs to be runny consistancy), pureed veggies/fruit (no skin/seeds), strained soups, beans,   It is kind of a limiting phase but it doesn't last long.  Since we can eat so little at this point anyway, I still primarily used shakes still with a bit of yogurt, cottage or beans thrown into the mix.  It was for 2 weeks so just a few limited options I didn't really find an issue.

Quantity kind of follows the week you are on:

0-2 weeks =  0-2 ounces
2-4 weeks = 2-4 ounces
4-6 weeks = 4-6 ounces
6-8 weeks and forever = 6-8 ounces

You do not NEED to eat these amount -  they are just guidelines to stay within to prevent accidental over eating until the nerve connections are all working again and you know your new full feeling warning.  Progress as your sleeve allows -  you do not need to rush it.  If you can't eat more then 2oz on week 4 that is perfectly fine and normal....  progress as the sleeve allows.

I'm really glad you gave me a guideline. I didn't know how to gage what and how much to eat thank you