Readytotransform

Have my first appointment today

13 posts in this topic

Today was great went over insurance info and found out I have to pay 3000 and they will cover the surgery 100%....have to pick up a second job:( or take donations:D and how I had my blood work today and my next appointment with the actual doc is March 3 and see the nutritionist the same day...I to do 4 months of seeing nutritionist I'm soooo excited but stoked about how I'm going to come up with $3000 in 4 months and they want have by my 2nd NUT appointment! Any how I have officially started my WL journey who knew they would draw all this blood 13 tubes WOW

Edited by Readytotransform

My WLS office got a lot of blood from me too. When I was a much younger man, I absolutely hated needles - I even fainted once at the hospital when the nurses tried to draw blood. They brought me back around with smelling salts. Then I started on a monitored medication called lithium. After a year of monthly blood level checks, I was a pro. After 3 years, I barely even thought of it as a discomfort.

Still, 13 tubes is quite a bit. Did they make you stay put for a while after so that you wouldn't be dizzy on the way out of the office?

Nope had to get to work I was fine I'm sooo excited about this 

The blood testing and other physical examinations before weight loss surgery is very extensive as the doctor wants to make sure that you do not have any illness or deficiency that may cause problems once you have the weight loss surgery.  Since I give blood evert few months at the Red Cross, I just viewed it as an extra blood donation! :D

I am sorry that you have to pay $3,000 - some of us at this forum had to pay relatively little (I think that I had to pay about $500) for our surgery, while others had to pay the entire cost of the surgery due to a lack of health insurance coverage for it (with the result that some people went to Mexico for the surgery).  

In any case, as long as you really want to lose weight, weight loss surgery is a very effective way to become skinny, healthy and more active.  I have never regretted getting my gastric bypass, except that I regret that I waited so long to get it.

Cindypraying likes this

Well the good thing is if it's not all paid it won't stop my surgery 

Cindypraying likes this

I had to pay about $7k out of pocket for my surgery. Please be aware that success in post-weight-loss-surgery means money. The supplements are not inexpensive and they are not covered by (most) insurance. Protein shakes/powders are expensive and not covered by (most) insurance. There is the cost of buying new clothes, even if at the thrift store.

I'm not trying to be negative, or get you to not have surgery -- but I don't think that many people are aware of the post-surgery costs. I know several people in my surgery center's support group who were able to afford the out of pocket expense for the surgery, but were not able to afford the protein supplements, multi-vitamins, or higher-quality food after surgery. There is no .39 mac-n-cheese. Eggs and milk and cheese and protein cost money. The cheap things at the store are high carb, high calorie garbage.

Good luck!

Readytotransform and ShrinkMe like this

Oh yeah thanks for that insight but I'm aware and have been blessed and fortunate to have me family to assist in this support plus I recently been blessed with a great raise I decided then to leave it in gods hands I'm sure he will take care of me....I been pricing around and looking around at different protein shakes...and looking forward to spend some money on new clothes :D 

RTT, remember that with the protein shakes as with any food, you tend to pay for quality. I'm not an expert, but I know that some proteins are more readily absorbed than others, which is imoortant in byoass. Also, in the world of nutritional supplements, claims are not regulated by the FDA. I would suggest sticking with well known brands, even if it costs a couple of dollars more. If you want to see what others think about a product, you may want to look for reviews on body building sites. Those people are serious about their protein. 

Readytotransform and ShrinkMe like this

On 4/25/2016 at 4:46 PM, heddi said:

I'm not trying to be negative, or get you to not have surgery -- but I don't think that many people are aware of the post-surgery costs. I know several people in my surgery center's support group who were able to afford the out of pocket expense for the surgery, but were not able to afford the protein supplements, multi-vitamins, or higher-quality food after surgery. There is no .39 mac-n-cheese. Eggs and milk and cheese and protein cost money. The cheap things at the store are high carb, high calorie garbage.

Good luck!

My surgeon's group told me the average WLS patient has a net savings of $5K a year on food and drink. I believe it. I know I save more than that even with all the vitamins, supplements, etc.

Caspian and Readytotransform like this

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 7:46 PM, heddi said:

I have not found there to be a higher cost since my surgery - I buy my vitamins on sale at CVS or Walgreens and use their house brands, the only protein supplement/shake that I have used is Carnation Breakfast Essential No-Sugar Added mix (which is available at the supermarket and in not expensive), and I eat much less food than before.

Readytotransform likes this

The issue that these folks brought up is that 1) supplements are not covered by insurance, and not covered by food stamps or SNAP and 2) Protein Powders aren't covered by food stamps or SNAP -- because of how they are categorized.

These folks were all medicare/medicaid, not private pay insurance. They were low income and, knowing philadelphia, probably lived in a Food Desert where their choices of grocery stores were limited to what was on the bus line. Depending on where they lived, they could be relegated to shopping at Family Dollar or a corner store, not a grocery store with true options. 

And while the food costs go down for a bariatric patient, many of these folks have families. That means a meal for them, and a meal for the rest of their family. Their grocery bills aren't going down, because they're still buying food for the family plus the higher priced protein for themselves.

I'm just relaying what they mentioned during these group supports, that they had checked out the prices and they were unaffordable for them in the long run because of their family and financial situations.

I get my vitamins at Costco & BJ's -- again, cheap for me. Bariatric Advantage and the like are even expensive for my dual-income, 2 RN, no-child-no-debt household, and *that* is what my program pushed *hard*. Get these speciality vitamins and it makes it easier. It may make it easier, but it's way more expensive.

I don't know anyone's financial situation, but I became aware that just because something is affordable for me doesn't mean that it's affordable for everyone, and that the long-term costs of maintenance, protein, shakes, "special" (i.e. higher quality) food, and downsizing of clothes, was something that was out of these folk's budget and therefore made the surgery not an option for them

Readytotransform likes this

1 hour ago, heddi said:

The issue that these folks brought up is that 1) supplements are not covered by insurance, and not covered by food stamps or SNAP and 2) Protein Powders aren't covered by food stamps or SNAP -- because of how they are categorized.

These folks were all medicare/medicaid, not private pay insurance. They were low income and, knowing philadelphia, probably lived in a Food Desert where their choices of grocery stores were limited to what was on the bus line. Depending on where they lived, they could be relegated to shopping at Family Dollar or a corner store, not a grocery store with true options. 

And while the food costs go down for a bariatric patient, many of these folks have families. That means a meal for them, and a meal for the rest of their family. Their grocery bills aren't going down, because they're still buying food for the family plus the higher priced protein for themselves.

I'm just relaying what they mentioned during these group supports, that they had checked out the prices and they were unaffordable for them in the long run because of their family and financial situations.

I get my vitamins at Costco & BJ's -- again, cheap for me. Bariatric Advantage and the like are even expensive for my dual-income, 2 RN, no-child-no-debt household, and *that* is what my program pushed *hard*. Get these speciality vitamins and it makes it easier. It may make it easier, but it's way more expensive.

I don't know anyone's financial situation, but I became aware that just because something is affordable for me doesn't mean that it's affordable for everyone, and that the long-term costs of maintenance, protein, shakes, "special" (i.e. higher quality) food, and downsizing of clothes, was something that was out of these folk's budget and therefore made the surgery not an option for them

Understandable but I feel that when u make this decision it is a bit expensive when I first really had a breakdown of my cost I was like ok now it's time to buckle down because there is no way I'm not having this surgery over this....I imagine it can get expensive to get the high end protiens and fresh foods...I would advice to a person who is not rich like my self but is working to take care of them selves and family...do it do it when there is a will there is a way

Cindypraying likes this

7 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

I have not found there to be a higher cost since my surgery - I buy my vitamins on sale at CVS or Walgreens and use their house brands, the only protein supplement/shake that I have used is Carnation Breakfast Essential No-Sugar Added mix (which is available at the supermarket and in not expensive), and I eat much less food than before.

I could see how this works they always have nice sales and promotions I love Walgreens and cvs