kazoo

Exercise making me nauseous?

5 posts in this topic

I am four weeks out today.  I had a tough start with the pain from my gallbladder being removed, and then at two weeks out I had a blood clot in my lung.  

I started on the elliptical yesterday (only 3 minutes and I was huffing and puffing) and I felt horrible all day.  I assumed it was my bowels and took a laxative, which worked. Then, today I was on it for four minutes and within two minutes of getting off, I was so nauseous that I took a Zofran.

Any ideas why?  

Thanks.

You're still very much in the healing stage, it could be that you are pushing too hard too soon.  I'd recommend starting with some walking and work your way up to the eliptical.  Did you use the eliptical before surgery?

wow, I would cut back, especially after that surgery. I agree with PapaG---take it easy -- My surgeon wouldn't even let me walk more than 1 block until I was 6 weeks, and I started out with a lower pre-surg weight than you.

Don't push yourself. Walking, elipitical, treadmill -- it's the same as weights. You probably have a weight restriction (no lifting more than X lbs until Y weeks) -- that goes for exercise, too. The same muscles you use to lift are the muscles you use when walking and elipiticalling (?). Take it easy. Take some walks around the block, do some stretches. Don't push it, you really could rupture your sutures (I'm a nurse, have seen it happen more than once with abdominal surgeries)

It was 6 weeks before I was cleared for an elliptical.  Prior to that, it was just walking. 

I finally get to exercise next week and I will be 6 weeks out. I have just been walking the new puppy Zoey.