Sassyclassysteph13

My first consultation!?

10 posts in this topic

So I had my first consultation today and they told me that because of my past drug use ( been sober for a year and 3 months ) that surgery doesn't seem like the safest option for me at this moment so she started me on phentermine. Mind you that my drug of choice was Meth ) and she says that while I check in once a month this will still count towards my 6 months so surgery isn't completely out but I don't understand this. Why give me phentermine with my past but say no to surgery right now? And what if during these next 6 months I do lose weight which most likely will and then I don't qualify for surgery anymore. This doesn't make sense. I don't know what to do I just figured I would post here and see if anyone had any thoughts.I went to the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis. 

Stephtay likes this

My experience with the 6 month diet was that insurance considers the weight at the start of the diet, not the end but you should ask about that. 

I think Phentermine is a narcotic.  Congratulations on your sobriety- don't risk it by taking the Phentermine. Surely your doctor has a 6 month diet plan that doesn't include taking medications?  I'd ask.  I was offered the medications in my 6 month diet but refused them.

Stephtay and Trish1967 like this

8 hours ago, Sassyclassysteph13 said:

So I had my first consultation today and they told me that because of my past drug use ( been sober for a year and 3 months ) that surgery doesn't seem like the safest option for me at this moment so she started me on phentermine. Mind you that my drug of choice was Meth ) and she says that while I check in once a month this will still count towards my 6 months so surgery isn't completely out but I don't understand this. Why give me phentermine with my past but say no to surgery right now? And what if during these next 6 months I do lose weight which most likely will and then I don't qualify for surgery anymore. This doesn't make sense. I don't know what to do I just figured I would post here and see if anyone had any thoughts.I went to the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis. 

I took Phentermine a couple of times and my dr. specifically said he wouldn't prescribe it to anyone who'd ever had a problem with meth. Don't risk your sobriety over anything, especially Phentermine. It doesn't work that well anyway. For most people, as soon as they stop taking it, they gain all the weight right back. That is what happened to me both times I took it. 

athenarose, Zen_Steph and Trish1967 like this

3 minutes ago, Stephtay said:

I took Phentermine a couple of times and my dr. specifically said he wouldn't prescribe it to anyone who'd ever had a problem with meth. Don't risk your sobriety over anything, especially Phentermine. It doesn't work that well anyway. For most people, as soon as they stop taking it, they gain all the weight right back. That is what happened to me both times I took it. 

Agreed. I took Phentermine, and while it didn't give me the energy boost that it does for most, I lost 40 pounds on it. Once I stopped, I regained that 40 plus 15 more. I really wouldn't recommend it. Not to mention the fact that I'd be wary of a doctor who is so willing to write a prescription like that for someone in recovery. It seems thoughtless at best.

Stephtay and Trish1967 like this

Get a second opinion, stat.

That makes absolutely no sense. 

Zen_Steph, athenarose and Trish1967 like this

I agree. Your gut instinct is right on. Don't fill the script, and find another practice.

Trish1967 likes this

Phen has been on the market since 1960. I took it 20 years ago for a year and lost 130 pounds. It took almost 20 years to regain it because I changed everything I used to eat to better choices. It isn't for everybody, but when I couldn't get it anymore, the weight gain happened. It is prescribed for 6 months worth of use, although some folks take it for many years and it works for them. Like everything else in life, I research the hell out of something before using/trying/buying it. When I bought a business phone foprn my house 20 years ago, I printed well over 500 double sided pages...  :rolleyes:

OMG. Run as quickly as you can to a different doctor. Please don't take the phen. Bad drug, bad side effects .

LeeC, Trish1967 and athenarose like this

My first consultation is June 16 can someone give me some insight on what is next and how much longer for surgery

Sassyclassysteph13 likes this

Update** I stopped taking the phentermine after 2 months. It didn't do anything for me. I'm going on month 4 of my 6 month diet. I refused pills and started back on depression medication. Now I have to wait about 4 to 6 weeks until my councilor says my depression is stable then I can schedule my psych evaluation for surgery. I hope this process starts going by fast again. My 6th month diet will be done by the end of July and I'm hoping for surgery in August 

WendyH likes this