Res Ipsa

Loose Skin?

12 posts in this topic

Guys,

There are lots of postings on TTF by women stating that they have a large amount of loose skin after 100+ pounds of weight loss, especially in the stomach area, the arms, and thighs.  As you may know, women biologically have very different skin then men, in that women store much of fat directly under their skin, while men store most of their fat inside their bodies away from the skin.  

My question is whether you have had a real loose skin problem after your weight loss?  In other words, if you went out shirtless in a bathing suit would it be obvious that you had lost a lot of weight?

Omar2.0 likes this

Short answer, yes, it would be very obvious I lost over 200 pounds.  And I say that knowing that my lose skin problem is not nearly as bad as many face.

Omar2.0 and Res Ipsa like this

5 minutes ago, PapaG said:

Short answer, yes, it would be very obvious I lost over 200 pounds.  And I say that knowing that my lose skin problem is not nearly as bad as many face.

Thank you for responding on a topic that men generally do not talk about.  

You lost a lot more than me ( I lost only about 125 pounds) - and I am impressed at your accomplishment.  It would not be obvious to anyone who saw me in a bathing suit that I had lost a lot of weight.

Omar2.0 likes this

Thats great news.  I'm actually very pleased with my situation, it could have been much worse.  I had a plastics consult yesterday (considering having the skin removed) and the doctor commented several times that the excess is not nearly as bad as he would have expected for someone that lost as much as I did.

Res Ipsa and Omar2.0 like this

47 minutes ago, PapaG said:

Thats great news.  I'm actually very pleased with my situation, it could have been much worse.  I had a plastics consult yesterday (considering having the skin removed) and the doctor commented several times that the excess is not nearly as bad as he would have expected for someone that lost as much as I did.

That is my point - I think that men do not have the same excess skin problem as women. It would be interesting to hear from more men on this. 

Omar2.0 likes this

3 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

That is my point - I think that men do not have the same excess skin problem as women. It would be interesting to hear from more men on this. 

From my experience I agree.  We are lucky, loose skin doesn't seem to be as much of a problem and we also tend to lose weight faster; we're very lucky.

I think I have less excess skin today than I did a couple of months ago.

42 minutes ago, bcd said:

I think I have less excess skin today than I did a couple of months ago.

That is great!  Does you have enough loose skin that it bothers you?

Omar2.0 likes this

No, the excess skin I have doesn't really bother me.  The spare tire is smaller; love handles are currently gone.  They have gone away before and then come back as I lost more weight only to go away again.  I think the stalls are really useful in allowing the skin to "catch" up with the weight loss.

Omar2.0 likes this

31 minutes ago, bcd said:

No, the excess skin I have doesn't really bother me.  The spare tire is smaller; love handles are currently gone.  They have gone away before and then come back as I lost more weight only to go away again.  I think the stalls are really useful in allowing the skin to "catch" up with the weight loss.

This was my experience too - I lost weight without getting lots of loose skin in the long term. :)

Omar2.0 likes this

I really think that for guys two things,

1. How large they were before WLS
  2. How much weight they had to lose.
  3. Guys tend to talk less about excess skin than women do.  

For myself I dropped 152# my excess skin is nothing like my wife that lost 137#.  My Surgeon told me that Men tend to be a more leaner body mass than women do.  No the issue for me has been just to hide what I have because currently I  can't get the Insurance to pay for the skin removal.

Check this article out, there may be hope in the future. 

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video/3413927-consumerwatch-loose-skin-removal-surgery/

Caspian, Omar2.0 and Res Ipsa like this

My arms and chest are not bad but my stomach apron looks horrible like a deflated tire I used to take off my shirt with no problem when I was 360  but now I can't at 220 hopefully it will get better with time but I doubt it lol .

Omar2.0 and IWANT2GETSKINNY like this