herealways

Male plastic surgery post-VSG

2 posts in this topic

Hello Dr. Gupta,

I had VSG in August 2014. I started at 290, down to 175 at my lowest. I'm 5'11" and my doctor set my long term goal between 175-185. I've been working with a trainer for about a year and we've upped my calorie intake a bit since I wasn't gaining muscle mass. I've gained about 10 pounds in the last 3 months - some fat I'm sure (body fat percentage went up about a percent and a half) but I think some muscle.

I'm unhappy with a few areas on my body. I have some excess skin around the stomach area and love handles. I have what feels like a relatively solid pooch below my below my belly button as well that I can't tell if is skin or fat. Finally I'm also unhappy with how saggy my chest is - when I flex my pec muscles they are much higher than my nipple line. Overall I just feel saggy and droopy in my chest and stomach. 

Curious whether plastic surgery timing is right given the small weight gain I've had over the last few months and what procedures you would recommend.  I have a consultation with a plastic surgeon in a few weeks but wanted to get your expert opinion as well.

I've included some recent pictures to hopefully help weigh in.  Thanks so much!

Mikeunnamed_(2).thumb.jpg.00b6c92560afce904dunnamed_(1).thumb.jpg.5930194f2c5d41a495

Hello Herealways,

Thanks for your question and congratulations on your achievement.

The best time for your plastic surgery reconstruction after weight loss is once your weight is stable within a 5-10 pound plateau.  If you anticipate gaining a significant amount of weight with further weight training then I would recommend delaying surgery until you have finished building muscle mass.  Otherwise I believe the time is right for you to consult with your plastic surgeon to discuss your surgical options.

Good luck with everything.

Sincerely, Abhay Gupta, MD, FACS.