Jabsie

Foods that slide through the sleeve

10 posts in this topic

I've seen references to foods that slide through the sleeve too easily. Can some one describe to me what some of those foods are?

Fluids, shakes, soups, yogurt - basically anything that doesn't have much density.

Carbs such as crackers, popcorn, chips, any sugary dessert/goodie/cookie/cake/thing, candy and pretty much any other "bad" thing we should stay away from.

That is basically the gist of it.  But important to note that every one's sleeve is different.  I know some people find popcorn and nuts filling -  but for me its a slider, I basically have very little resistance when eating such things and can eat tons and tons of it.

My sleeve is very much about density.  If its not meat  (or hard boiled eggs), I don't have much restriction.   (which also is not to say I don't have any restriction, its just way way more noticable with density and bulk)

PapaG and Ms. Corona like this

Jolls is right, we are all different.  Popcorn is filling for me, yet is a no no for her.  Sliders for me are liquids, very soft foods like a mousse, anything that slides down the throat easily is what I class as a slider.

Jolls nails it.  Only thing I have to add is food dryness.  For example, I can handle moist meat better than dry.  Dry turkey I'm lucky to get in 2 ounces, moist I can easily eat 4 ounces.

Ms. Corona and raeann67 like this

another factor is chewing !

the more you chew your food, the slider it becomes.. 

13 hours ago, Raneemme said:

another factor is chewing !

the more you chew your food, the slider it becomes.. 

Would you mind sharing the research reference for your statement 

thank you

13 hours ago, Spunkycat said:

Would you mind sharing the research reference for your statement 

thank you

this is my own experience.. the more i chew my food, the easier it is to slide through my stomach..

I noticed this while i was doing the opposite actually,

when im in a harry, i chew less. consequently, i end up unable to finish because food is stuck.. 

again, it varies from one to another.. i thought it might be useful to share what works for me.

10 hours ago, Raneemme said:

this is my own experience.. the more i chew my food, the easier it is to slide through my stomach..

I noticed this while i was doing the opposite actually,

when im in a harry, i chew less. consequently, i end up unable to finish because food is stuck.. 

again, it varies from one to another.. i thought it might be useful to share what works for me.

Poorly chewed food does sit heavier in the stomach, but that doesn't mean its a slider.  Well chewed steak doesn't move through the stomach any more quickly than poorly chewed steak.  A slider is something soft like yogurt that kind of pours/moves quickly through the stomach; it isn't dense so more can fit in.  

cinwa and Spunkycat like this

whether something is a slider or not depends ( for sleevers) how the food hits the pyloric valve(which  sleevers still have). When a dense food like steak, chicken, ham hits your pyloric valve, the valve can tell whether the food  should be let into the intestine or held in the stomach longer for more digestion to occur. Some digestion occurs both in the mouth and stomach . When you eat mainly sliders you are more likely to get hungry faster. Many programs encourage you not to have a protein shake after 6 months because shakes are definitely sliders. It is also okay to have healthy fats because fats help you feel satiated longer. I always add a small pat of butter  to my cooked veggies.

best...

tracyringo likes this

Just about anything heavy in protein tends to "stick" for me.  Even shakes. Water is extremely dense for me too for some odd reason. For me,  sliders are more carb based foods or cooked veggied that are mushy, like mashed potatoes or long cooked broccoli. For me,  I can't eat endless amounts of them... I can't eat that much of anything.  But, I can eat maybe half as much more,  like if I can eat a cup of taco meat, I could eat a cup and a half of mashed potatoes. I also noticed,  the fattier something is,  like beef taco meat vs shrimp, the more of it I can eat.