Carnie

Salmon?

19 posts in this topic

I am not a big fish eater.  Pre-surgery was fish sticks or filets breaded/fried.  I tried salmon once a long time ago and I didn't like it but I want to try again.

Anyone here fix it?  If so, suggestions on how to make it flavorful?  

I haven't been able to eat meat of any shape or form since my RNY - regardless of how it's prepared but I tolerate fish/shellfish so I generally eat it at least once a day.

I like to cook my fish in a cast iron skillet (brushed with EVOO), or, I like to shallow poach it.  That consistently produces a moist end product and is especially good for salmon as it's as good cold as it is warm which is ideal for a WLS patient so I cook 2 or 3 pieces at a time so I've always got some ready to go in the fridge.  

This is the recipe I use (you can omit the wine if you want but it really does help the flavour).  I use it with other lean fish like tilapia, cod, sole, haddock, snapper, trout, halibut or shrimp (I often add a few shrimp when I'm poaching fish.  They're always welcome as a snack). 

1 to 1½ pounds salmon fillets, pin bones removed
Salt
½ cup dry white wine (a good Sauvignon Blanc)
½ cup water
1 shallot, peeled and thinly sliced or a few thin slices of onion
Several sprigs of fresh dill or sprinkle of dried dill
A sprig of fresh parsley
Freshly ground black pepper
A few slices of fresh lemon to serve

Read more: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/poached_salmon/#ixzz3xVxdZdBS

This is another good way of cooking fish/shrimp to keep it moist:  Fish en Papillote (in paper or foil)

GAviv likes this

As popular as salmon is, if you didn't like it before, you may not like it now, and you may want your forray into increasing your fish consumption to be a different variety.

I don't like salmon. I've never liked salmon. I thought at first that I didn't like sushi. I do like sushi but didn't know it, because the people I was with the first couple of times I tried it recommended rolls made with salmon.

I do like tilapia, which is mild and commonly available. My favorite variety of fish is haddock. I've recently discovered a variety called barramundi that I really enjoy. I tried branzoni last week, and it was pretty good. As I recall Chilean sea bass is pretty good, but a bit oily for my tastes. I also like tuna (esp sashimi) and swordfish. And that's just off the top of my head.

But I don't like salmon, and it's okay if you don't either.

Caspian likes this

try tilapia first.

drizzle some olive oil, pepper, garlic to taste.

i wrap my fish in foil and bake it that way. It seems to stay more moist.

Marie1 and duffman27 like this

Thanks for the tips.  I'll be experimenting to find one I like!  I can do haddock without breading but the last time I tried cooking it myself I overcooked it and it was really dry.  I need practice!

Thanks again!

I eat fish on occasion but it isn't my go to.  To me it just all tastes the same no matter what type or how its prepared.  Maybe there will be a great recipe posted here that will finally get me excited about fish.

carnie

try shrimp. I eat shrimp 2 or 3 times/ week.

cold with a dab of cocktail  sauce or hot as scampi over steamed zucchini.

Marie1 and Carnie like this

Spunkycat that shrimp scampi with the steamed zucchini sounds good! Did you use the veggeti to make it into noodle zucchini? ( I think that is what it is called!) 

duffman27 likes this

I like talapia with garlic and a lot of lemon juice in a foil packet on the BBQ pit. Very good and moist! Or in the oven with a little parmesan cheese sprinkled on it and garlic salt. Something to try.

Edited by Marie1

I did not spiral the zucchini. Cut it into thin rounds, then steamed them, I find the garlic and other juices from the shrimp

sop up the juices when you make scampi.

Marie1 likes this

Sounds wonderful! Thanks. :D

I used to eat salmon a few times a week before WLS, now it's tough since it doesn't always sit well. Usually, I like it with citrus, prefer OJ. Cold fish sits better for some reason, I like the Alaska cod I get at TJ's.

Tilapia is so mild you can do just about anything with it. Seasoning with cayenne and drizzling with sesame oil comes to mind.

tmcgee and Spunkycat like this

Tilapia is so mild you can do just about anything with it. Seasoning with cayenne and drizzling with sesame oil comes to mind.

I like the idea of sesame oil, especially the hot stuff -- think dopamines!

Spunkycat likes this

I took my son back to college yesterday and we went to TGI Fridays for dinner.  I chose Mahi Mahi.  Never had it and it was nice.  I'll eat it 2 more times before it's gone!  I wonder if eating shrimp is an ok thing for me now.  I'm just under 2 months post op.  My nutritionist plan says soft fish.  I don't think of shrimp as soft, but if I took small enough bites and chewed to mush I wouldn't think it would hurt.

I do like cold shrimp, not hot though.  I don't know why I have never been able to eat it warmed.

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

carnie

buy a bag of cooked frozen shrimp. Take 2 or 3 and put  them on a plate or in a bag. I sometimes defrost them under  cold running water in the sink. They are greatas a quick, lunch dinner or snack.

Carnie likes this

I was able to eat shrimp after a few months, I prefer it cold as well, but sometimes I stir fry shrimp with Chinese vegetables and "Mongolian Fire Oil" which is the same thing as spicy sesame oil.

Carnie likes this

I like my fish a couple of ways - broiled or grilled with salsa on top ( thanks greer)

I also like it grilled with a little spray butter and dill or spray butter with lemon pepper seasoning..

I love shrimp scampi with zucchini noodles..

GAviv, tmcgee and Marie1 like this

I like my fish a couple of ways - broiled or grilled with salsa on top ( thanks greer)

I also like it grilled with a little spray butter and dill or spray butter with lemon pepper seasoning..

I love shrimp scampi with zucchini noodles..

Try salsa verde if you haven't already. I love it from a real Mexican source, and the Trader Joe's version is good as well.

duffman27 likes this