Liv

Would love to hear from anyone who weighed/weighs 350 lbs or more.

14 posts in this topic

I weigh 385 lbs and hope to have GB end March/early April (I see my surgeon later this month). I know my surgeon will want me to lose 20 to 30 lbs at least before surgery.

I'd just like some encouragement from anyone who is/was super obese. How much did you lose before surgery, and how much post-op and how fast?

I turn 40 in July and I would like to weigh significantly less than I do now. What is a reasonable loss after GB? Would it be possible for me to weigh under 300 lbs by July?

Thanks!

TheGreyPilgrim likes this

I had sleeve but I was 428lbs when I started the process -  389lbs the day of surgery.  I lost 26lbs during the 6 month insurance required supervised weightloss and 13lbs during the 2 week liquid only pre-op diet.   I lost 168lbs in the first year after the sleeve.   Hard to say what I would have lost with bypass but statistically speaking I probably would have lost an around 30-50 more lbs in that first year had I had bypass.

ikantspel likes this

I had sleeve but I was 428lbs when I started the process -  389lbs the day of surgery.  I lost 26lbs during the 6 month insurance required supervised weightloss and 13lbs during the 2 week liquid only pre-op diet.   I lost 168lbs in the first year after the sleeve.   Hard to say what I would have lost with bypass but statistically speaking I probably would have lost an around 30-50 more lbs in that first year had I had bypass.

Thanks for sharing :-) I like hearing from people who weighed as much as I do or more. Sometimes I get discouraged about the 200 lbs I need to lose. Do you have a lot of excess skin? I'm scared of the excess skin - but I realise that's better than being super obese.

What, for you, has been the best parts of weighing less? Were you diabetic or hypertensive before surgery?

Yes I have a lot of excess skin; pretty much everywhere....  but I also don't think it is as bad as it could have been.  Teeny part of the reason I chose sleeve was because it was a slower weightloss and I had hopes it would help with the skin.  But deflating 250lbs it wasn't like I was expecting to be as taught as a 80lb teenager, of course.  I full expected a mass of excess.  My stomach is what is the worse, it so bulbous and massive and squishy it often feels like I haven't lost anything at all despite knowing I've lost over 20 inches from it....  so it can be hard on the mind.   I feel awesome in clothes, I think I look awesome in clothes.... out of clothes BLEH though, I rather hate it and it can be hard.  But it is what it is and I would still rather be a melty playdoh-y flabby body then filled with fat 400lbs and not being able to fit behind the steering wheel of my car. 

I was pre-diabetic, I didn't have to take any meds for it yet but they were threatening to start me on them which was the last straw to drive me to seek WLS.  My starting A1C was 5.8 and by 3 month post 4.7 so I an no longer considered diabetic, still so 3 years later.

The best part about weighing less for me was getting rid of stress incontinence which was soley caused by my weight.  Next was being able to fit into cars, seats, booths and being able to walk more than 2 blocks without thinking I was going to die of heat stroke.

ikantspel and Liv like this

Thanks again for your quick reply. I also have stress in continence. How much weight did you lose before that stopped?

Do you fly often? I hate flying because of my size. I live in South Africa but will be flying to USA in June. I hope to have lost enough by then. Flying obese is the worst. I flew to the USA and Dubai last year, but mom travelled with me so at least I wasn't squashing into a stranger's space.

I'm not really sure how much I lost before the stress incontinence resolved, around 50lbs maybe?  (in addition to the pre-op loss) so it was less then 100lbs.  I haven't flown since I lost any weight but I will be in January!  I'm pretty excited to sit in a seat, not overflow it and not needing a seatbelt extender. 

ikantspel likes this

Liv, I'm considered a light weight but had lost 120 pounds in 9 months.  I'm also not into gyms so if you get active it could come off quickly, but keep in mind everyone loses at their own rate!  Btw, I'm bypass.  It's the best thing I could have done for myself!  I had diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, took 18 pills a day.  Now I take 1 thyroid pill, plus vitamins...good luck!

athenarose likes this

I started at 356, doc wanted me to lose 10-15 pounds in the two months before surgery, I lost 20.

Started at 359 and lost 26 pre surgery. The low carb plan makes my body happy. Head loves carbs but body loves being heathy and active. 

A friend of mine was about 340 lbs she had the sleeve. I believe she lost about 120 lbs in less than a year.

Liv,

When i started this process about 6 mos ago i weighed in at 425 lbs after 6 nutritionist visits i was down to 411, not huge but I was showing progress. Then i had the 2 week liquid diet pre-op that got me down to 396. I had a RNY and about 2.5 weeks later i am down to 365. I chose my surgery because i was pre-diabetic and wanted to nip it in the bud. 

Hope this helps a little just remember you need to make the choices that are right for you and before I had my surgery I read studied and talked to several doctors before making this decision to change my life forever.

Good luck in what ever you decide to do!

I'm 42, weigh 340 pounds and am scheduled for GP on January 13th. (Friday the 13th, lol) I don't have a set amount of weight to lose before surgery but I do have to go on a liquid diet 2 weeks before and after surgery.

Edited by TheGreyPilgrim
Added more info

8 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I'm 42, weigh 340 pounds and am scheduled for GP on January 13th. (Friday the 13th, lol) I don't have a set amount of weight to lose before surgery but I do have to go on a liquid diet 2 weeks before and after surgery.

A 2 week liquid pre-op diet can be tough - especially the first 3 or 4 days but if you've stuck with it and not cheated, it does get easier.

Usually, the main reason for a 2 week liquid is to shrink the liver because your surgeon will have to lift it out of the way to do your WLS so it's vital that you stick with the programme and not cheat.

We've had several members who didn't adhere to their liquid diet which resulted in their WLS being deferred because their liver was still too large.  

TheGreyPilgrim likes this

11 hours ago, cinwa said:

A 2 week liquid pre-op diet can be tough - especially the first 3 or 4 days but if you've stuck with it and not cheated, it does get easier.

Usually, the main reason for a 2 week liquid is to shrink the liver because your surgeon will have to lift it out of the way to do your WLS so it's vital that you stick with the programme and not cheat.

We've had several members who didn't adhere to their liquid diet which resulted in their WLS being deferred because their liver was still too large.  

I plan on sticking to it. I know easier said than done but I really feel ready for this. Also, my surgeon is excited that I already had my spleen removed. She said that spleens are also in the way and just love to bleed even if they're barely bumped.