Bigfuzzy

macadamia nuts

your thoughts on macadamia nuts. are they good, bad or the same as other nuts?

not talking about the chocolate or candy coated 1s. talking about plain, roasted, salted or garlic & onion?

I know it would be a long time after surgery, but would they be like any other nut?

There isn't a nut I don't adore but I steer clear of macadamias because they're way higher in calories/fat and lower in protein:

Almonds:  164 calories/oz, 14.2g fat, 6g protein.

Macadamias:  213 calories/oz, 20.9g fat, 2.4g protein

There isn't a nut I don't adore but I steer clear of macadamias because they're way higher in calories/fat and lower in protein:

Almonds:  164 calories/oz, 14.2g fat, 6g protein.

Macadamias:  213 calories/oz, 20.9g fat, 2.4g protein

I like them once in awhile, although it prolly been more than a year since I've had any.

I have to keep my nuts in the freezer - out of sight, out of mind.

When I do eat them, it's usually almonds or pistachios and I restrict myself to .5 oz.

I love macadamia nuts, they are only a special treat occasionally. Like Cinwa, I am an almond and pistachio gal. 

I treat all nuts (and nut butters and seeds for that matter) equally.  They must not ever enter my house as they are the worst slider foods for me.  I can't stop eating them.  Bring on the ice cream, the cheesecake, cookies, pies, cakes, chocolate, whatever.  None of them compare to the addiction I have for nuts.  I might grab a single serving pack for a snack when I'm traveling, but never are they allowed in bulk in my house ever again.  And since I've never counted fats or calories, so to me a macadamia is no better or worse than any other nut out there.  

I view macadamia nuts as a special treat since they are so low in protein.  My "go to" nuts are peanut and almonds, and occasionally cashews.  

My follow up bariatric doctor told me no nuts, too high in fat for the protein you get.  I am by no means perfect as far as following what she recommends but I do only buy nuts for traveling since they are so convenient.  Like others have said they are dangerous in my home on a regular basis.

Almond person here. I've never been a big fan of macadamia nuts. Ours is a nut household all around. Right now we have four flavors of almonds, pistachios, cashews, and peanuts, plus three varieties of sunflower seeds. We also have half a dozen people who eat those nuts, and my 6'1" 183# husband is the biggest nut eater of the lot of us. I'll eat up to an ounce of cocoa or habanero barbecue flavored almonds once a week or so.

Dill pickle flavored sunflower seeds in the shell on the other hand, I eat half a cup a day more often than not.

I treat all nuts (and nut butters and seeds for that matter) equally.  They must not ever enter my house as they are the worst slider foods for me.  I can't stop eating them.  Bring on the ice cream, the cheesecake, cookies, pies, cakes, chocolate, whatever.  None of them compare to the addiction I have for nuts.  I might grab a single serving pack for a snack when I'm traveling, but never are they allowed in bulk in my house ever again.  And since I've never counted fats or calories, so to me a macadamia is no better or worse than any other nut out there.  

Speaking of ice cream, I've been working on a quart of "frozen pudding" for over a month, and there is still 1/4 of it left. I used ti be able to polish it off in one sitting! :)

thanks