BlueEyedGirl

Healthy Snacks

17 posts in this topic

What are some of your favorite healthy snacks? I am getting sick of the same old things. :)

I go the whole realm from sweet to savory to salty......

Cheese sticks, jerky, quest bars, natures valley protein bars, GNC total lean bars, Greek yogurt, popcorn, mixed nuts, apples and  peanut butter, frozen blueberries, quest chips, ham or prosciutto and cream cheese roll ups, pickles, olives.

And tea.  I've recently discovered very yummy new teas by Republic of Tea and enjoy sitting down with a cup.  I'm bored, I want a snack....hey, I'll have a cup of tea!

Stephtay and BlueEyedGirl like this

Cheese sticks, yogurt, yogurt/fruit parfait, shakes, smoothies, jerky, lunchmeat n cheese rollup, edamame, fruit, sugar free popsicles, hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, franks hot sauce + cottage cheese for a dip with veggies, cheese n 'crackers' (cucumber slices), spoonful of peanut butter, pickles.

I stay away from protein bars, popcorn, trailmix and nuts only because I can't control myself with them and eat far far more then I need/should  (and they are sliders for me so the sleeve does little to stop me with those things).   I do like them all and on occasion will have some, but its too easy for me to fly off the deep end so as a general rule of thumb, I just try to stay away.

I eat hardboiled eggs, cheese and lunchmeat/cheese rollups A LOT.  I still find hardboiled eggs filling even after 3 years.  I like the thick cut rotisserie turkey breast from the Super One deli and a slice of the deli three-pepper jack cheese or the rosemary gouda. :)  2 pieces of the turkey with a slice of cheese inbetween is my sandwhich.

Edited by Jolls

cheese! nuts too, but I haven't been feeling them lately.

Cheese, nuts, (no more than an oz of either) an occasional granola bar with less than 8g of sugar, apples, pears-pretty much it right now. 

Jerky (Tillamook Country Smoker is my favorite, and it's cheap if you order direct from their website), sharp aged cheeses, honey roasted nuts (sometimes plain), hard boiled eggs (I like using mustard and mayo packets to make on the fly deviled eggs). I use coffee with non-dairy creamer (hey, I love the taste) as a treat.

Edited by MarktheNerd
duffman27 and BlueEyedGirl like this

Roasted edamame/soybeans, nuts, dried fruit, fresh fruit, celery, celeriac, right now, half a small avocado with cottage cheese, hummus with raw veggies, feta on sliced cucumber.

BlueEyedGirl likes this

rosemary gouda. :) 

Rosemary gouda?! How did I not know such a cheese exists?! I must try it! Thanks for listing it Jolls!

Pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds (general snacks) and walnuts (which go in my oatmeal) have been my mainstays lately. Pure Protein bars. Cheese is hit or miss. My sweet snack is still SF popsicles, to which I might have an addiction. 

I wish I didn't have such an aversion to protein shakes post-op - they'd be really useful right now to keep my protein levels up. Sigh.

BlueEyedGirl likes this

Oh yeah, I forgot about the veggies.  I keep raw carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, and cucumbers in the fridge all the time.  Dip em in ranch or poppyseed dressing or sometimes splurge on spinach or artichoke dip.

BlueEyedGirl likes this

Snap peas, almonds, cheese sticks of any style/type, 100 cal popcorn bags, apples with laughing cow light Swiss smeared on. 

BlueEyedGirl likes this

Thanks so much everyone! I have a lot of good ideas! :)

My new fave is Moon Cheese. It a crunchy baked cheese snack- the only ingredient is cheese! I love the pepper jack. I also eat almonds and peanuts, Cheese Thinables, Greek Yogurt, and the occasional mixed berries.

BlueEyedGirl and duffman27 like this

My new fave is Moon Cheese. It a crunchy baked cheese snack- the only ingredient is cheese! I love the pepper jack. I also eat almonds and peanuts, Cheese Thinables, Greek Yogurt, and the occasional mixed berries.

I love Moon Cheese! :)

cherylm321 likes this

I love Moon Cheese! :)

ditto! Cheese in any form is yum, but I love the crunch with moon cheese.

i need to order some more, now that I think about it...

Pumpkin seeds and Protein Bars (Pure Protein from CostCo) are my go to snacks.

But I'm getting some really good ideas on here.

Keep me coming 

BlueEyedGirl likes this

If you like salty things then sardines, herring, smoked baby clams, and those flavored tuna packets are all good, too.

Oh--and try frying cheese or baking it into little fried cheese chips and then using them to scoop salsa (or whatever you want to use as a dip).

Edited by MarktheNerd
BlueEyedGirl likes this