Salinger14

Flat Soda? Drinks?

Why do I keep seeing people saying no carbonated drinks unless flat? What the heck is a flat carbonated drink? this makes no sense. I haven't drunk soda since college but I used to love the cascade ice but it is sparkling so I cut it out and just drink tea and water but am curious.

Edited by Salinger14

I couldn't handle carbonation early out, but now it's okay at 2.5 years.

Just let a carbonated beverage go flat; pour a glass or open a soda and let it sit for a day or so.  

Not sure how one could stand it that way though. To me, once it has gone flat, it tastes totally different, and not for the better.

Not sure how one could stand it that way though. To me, once it has gone flat, it tastes totally different, and not for the better.

my thoughts exactly.  But I guess it's for some people that either can't tolerate carbonation, or know they aren't supposed to drink carbonated beverages but are so addicted to something that they can't give it up.  After all, some ingredients in soda (both diet and regular) are more addictive than cocaine.  Other than something to mix my whiskey or rum in, I was never much of a soda drinker.  I was an avid microbrew drinker, however, but beer was just something I knew I'd have to give up.  Certainly Not willing to drink it flat.

The carbonation in drinks can either upset your pouch/sleeve or fill your space up with gas. Plus, it's empty calories. It's recommended that if you must drink a soda, let it go flat and have no bubbles. So, "carbonated flat drinks" are sodas that have no carbonation left in them.

I agree with Michael. Flat sodas taste gross. Actually, anything that is carbonated that has gone flat is gross. At least it is to me. I dropped soda about a week and a half before my surgery and haven't looked back...it's been over 19 months since my last Pepsi. Coffee and teas, on the other hand....well, I'm not as bad as I used to be, but cold weather and warm drinks do me good.

A couple of years ago, I developed a terrible pain in my left elbow and had no idea what was causing it. I drank diet soda heavily at the time. I don't remember why, but for some reason I had to not drink any for a few days, and that elbow pain completely disappeared. It was then that I gave up diet soda, switching instead to water (with flavor enhancers) and flavored sparking water. I only have a diet soda now when I meet my buddies for lunch at a restaurant. The elbow pain has never returned.

You can also remove carbonation by stirring rapidly with a spoon. My mother used to do this when I was sick as a kid and only able to handle liquids.

Thanks guys for all the a advice! Like I said no soda since college but was just wondering about some of the sparkling flavored zero calorie water but yes for sure prob too much excess gas for me will stick to iced herbal tea and water.

I had gastric bypass in July of 2012 I drink sodas and have no problems with sodas and I drink the sparkling waters also and I have no problems

Channing