Sign in to follow this  
jerrod24

I think my Gallbladder is a problem now 8 years out.

Over the last 2 weeks I have been having pain under my right rib cage near the outer edge.  It is kind of a dull pain that is there more than its not.  I addition to that, I'm having excessive diarrhea, bloating, vomiting early in mornings and sometimes later in day,even had hot and cold spells. I have been researching it some on webmd and It sounds to me like my gallbladder, just not sure.  I called my doctor and they first did a upper endoscopy 2 days ago,  I had no ulcers and nothing that would explain my symptoms.  Now I am going to have a ultrasound in about 48hrs here locally to look for problems.

First, does it sound like gallbladder to you. Are there any tell tale signs.   Second, I live 3 hours away from my GBP doctor.  If it is gall stones,  should I go to a doctor that does GBP or see a local doctor about removing it?  

Edited by jerrod24

Dear Jerrod24,

A gallbladder ultrasound sounds like a good idea. Patients who have undergone gastric bypass have a 30% chance of developing gallstones. The risk of developing gallstones can be reduced to about 2% if a patient takes ursodiol (Actigall) 300mg twice daily for 6 months after surgery. Gallstones can cause upper abdominal pain, upper back pain, right shoulder pain, nausea, and vomiting. However, diarrhea is not a usual symptom of gallstones. If gallstones are causing the problem, the gallbladder can be removed safely, laparoscopically by most general surgeons. There is no need to travel to see your gastric bypass surgeon unless you have faith in him and he is willing to do your surgery. 

For more information see: Mayo Clinic  article.

Dr. Callery