✿ Paula ✿

Cervical Fusion tomorrow

29 posts in this topic

Little brother had several spine operations and is on disability, he had a lung removed a couple of years ago, and will be going on oxygen soon. He's got a few more issues too, but at least he isn't drinking anymore.

I can relate to some of this. My mother had horrific spinal issues. One year they inserted rods along side her spine to keep her from becoming hunched. I totally disagreed with her having that procedure as she had osteoporosis. Sure enough, the screws pulled loose. She lost some of her lung to cancer and went back to smoking. Poor thing just had an addictive personality. She used to rinse her gums with schnapps saying she just rinsed and spit to keep her gums/dentures comfortable. Not 100% true. She died young at 64 due to care isses at a nursing home. That is sugar coating the rehabilitation center story.

Being a pain sufferer myself I have a greater understanding of what she may have gone through. Just wish I understood better at the time and was more companionate.  Prior to surgery, I found myself relaxing with cocktails at night, just desperate to numb.  Scary road learning so much about transfer addiction. Just being relieved of this horrid neck, self medicating is a thing of the past. I'm blessed.

I'm sorry your little brother is living a tough road. Pain is tough, tough. You are great support for him and have so much to offer him. Family first my friend.

Eight months out. Been a longish recovery. Lots of PT with exercises ,dry needling, relaxation techniques, pain management. I won't be returning back to my Special Ed job just yet. It's too physical and I'm too restricted.  Sick of the HR & short term disability paper work. They make it very difficult.

Result is one level is fusing, one is not. I guess some can take longer or it will end up being a non Union. Been seeking a psychologist to help me accept I may always be a chronic pain patient & learn coping skills.

For many months we figured the healing and pain were worse because my neck has been messed up for so many years.17 years! Everyone would say my muscles are atrophied or dysfunctional. At what point is that not the case?

For now the game plan is to work smarter. Turn my body rather than my neck when speaking with someone. Don't bust my butt to exhaustion. Take breaks and return to activity. It's hard to retrain how I've done things. 

Cheesehead and Res Ipsa like this

3 hours ago, ✿ Paula ✿ said:

Eight months out. Been a longish recovery. Lots of PT with exercises ,dry needling, relaxation techniques, pain management. I won't be returning back to my Special Ed job just yet. It's too physical and I'm too restricted.  Sick of the HR & short term disability paper work. They make it very difficult.

Result is one level is fusing, one is not. I guess some can take longer or it will end up being a non Union. Been seeking a psychologist to help me accept I may always be a chronic pain patient & learn coping skills.

For many months we figured the healing and pain were worse because my neck has been messed up for so many years.17 years! Everyone would say my muscles are atrophied or dysfunctional. At what point is that not the case?

For now the game plan is to work smarter. Turn my body rather than my neck when speaking with someone. Don't bust my butt to exhaustion. Take breaks and return to activity. It's hard to retrain how I've done things. 

I am sorry that things are not going great for you. We are here to support you and help you in any way that we can. Hang in there. It is always darkest just before the dawn. 

✿ Paula ✿ likes this

On 7/26/2016 at 10:05 AM, ✿ Paula ✿ said:

Hi all, update is notthing changed. 13 months out. One level fused one possibly not. CT/ixray says this. But surgeon doesn't feel super concerned. He said it is so hard to see behind the titanium, so lets wait a little longer. I'm fine with this game plan. Don't want a revision on the neck. For now, stilll at home.

LeeC likes this