ThinCVT

Bacon Lovers Unite!

27 posts in this topic

Let me start off by saying I love bacon.  But as we know bacon can be messy to cook and it's barely worth making a pan dirty (not to mention the grease spatter) just for the 1-2 slices that I can eat.  I discovered Hormels Real Crumbled Bacon shortly after moving to solid foods and have been using it for well over a year.  Precooked bacon bits in a resealable pouch.....Greatest invention ever!  It's SO convenient and there is really nothing stopping me from adding bacon to everything.  It's just sitting there on the top shelf of my fridge door ready and waiting! Bacon cheese omelets, bacon in chicken salad, bacon protein pancakes, bacon on my salads, bacon-cream cheese-chives dip, bacon and sautéed mushrooms, bacon-avocado-tomato dip, and tonight I had one of my favorites - mashed cauliflower, bacon and melted cheese.  Mmmmmm.  And for those of you who track stuff, it's just 25 calories and 3g protein per tablespoon.

Share your favorite bacon recipe.....

Edited by ThinCVT

Favorite bacon recipe:

Bacon

Put paper towels in the pan to soak up the rendered grease if you cook it the traditional way. Makes cleanup a whole lot easier...

ThinCVT likes this

Glad you found something that works for you. At 190 mg of sodium per tablespoon be carful do, it adds up.

Glad you found something that works for you. At 190 mg of sodium per tablespoon be carful do, it adds up.

thanks PapaG but that's the beauty of never tracking/counting.....I can eat my bacon crumbles guilt free.  And at 22+ months out, maintaining below goal, perfect labs and low normal BP, I'm not too worried about my sodium intake.  I actually never salt my food, but I'm more than happy to eat my bacon flavored sodium ;)  And hell, the quest bars I eat every day have more sodium than the bacon.

but you're right, folks with blood pressure issues or other cardiovascular health problems probably shouldn't enjoy bacon as much as I do!

Edited by ThinCVT
Res Ipsa, Clickin, New guy and 3 others like this

but you're right, folks with blood pressure issues or other cardiovascular health problems probably shouldn't enjoy bacon as much as I do!

They can enjoy it as much as you, just maybe not as frequently. ;)

I have a daughter who trained herself to tolerate bacon because it's in so many things that she has trouble avoiding it. Kinda freakish.

ThinCVT likes this

thanks PapaG but that's the beauty of never tracking/counting.....I can eat my bacon crumbles guilt free.  And at 22+ months out, maintaining below goal, perfect labs and low normal BP, I'm not too worried about my sodium intake.  I actually never salt my food, but I'm more than happy to eat my bacon flavored sodium ;)  And hell, the quest bars I eat every day have more sodium than the bacon.

Yep, glad it works for you.  I don't have BP issues but high sodium like that found in processed meats cause me to retain fluids which is very evident in my legs.  Keeping my sodium down makes me feel so much less bloated, etc.  Again, glad it is working for you.

ThinCVT and New guy like this

I love bacon but I'm the same way if my sodium intake goes up a little I will retain lots of water especially in my legs but definitely going to try it on occasions cause I love bacon,lol

I love bacon but I'm the same way if my sodium intake goes up a little I will retain lots of water especially in my legs but definitely going to try it on occasions cause I love bacon,lol

It was worse when I was bigger, losing weight definitely helps.  My issue is due to low copper in my blood which results in poor blood flow to my extremities.  Keeping sodium down helps, but it happens no matter what I do.

Poor, poor bacon gets such a bad rap :(  here's the sodium content per serving of the Hormel crumbled bacon vs other "Bariatric friendly" foods WLS patients eat all the time.....

bacon 190mg

premier chocolate 210mg

Quest bar 210mg

cottage cheese 400mg

so back to our regular scheduled program.  Am I and Mark the only bacon lovers?!  For you closet bacon lovers out there I Forgot to include another favorite recipe.....Brussels sprouts sautéed with bacon and onions.

I enjoy bacon too. I just don't choose to eat it very often. Right now I'm in active weight loss, so it doesn't fit with my nutritional objectives. 

You know what sounds good, though. There's a little restaurant in a nearby town that makes a "bacado" omelet. Bacon, avocado, and I think jack cheese. Yum.

And the brussels sprouts dish you suggest is yummy. Prosciutto works in it too.

ThinCVT likes this

Oh, and as far as I'm concerned, Panera Bread is the bacon turkey bravo store. May not work out so well post-WLS, though.

SlimSmitty and ThinCVT like this

love bacon.  bacon is food of the gods.  I haven't tried the Hormel bacon bits but I'm going to the store after work today.  yes working ot today.  Christmas is coming after all.

the Brussels sprouts sound yummy.  I like Brussels sprouts.  strange considering how many foods I don't like. 

ThinCVT and MarktheNerd like this

Am I and Mark the only bacon lovers?!  For you closet bacon lovers out there I Forgot to include another favorite recipe.....Brussels sprouts sautéed with bacon and onions.

No, I love bacon. Pure, unadulterated, worthy of sacrifice, wonderful, divine bacon. I practically cried tears of joy when I found I could eat it without a problem. I make sure that I dab as much grease off of it as humanly possible, and insist that it's crispy so it disintegrates when I chew it (I've always preferred it crispy anyway). 

I limit it to about once a month, though.

ThinCVT likes this

Lucky me....since losing 125lbs I have developed low blood pressure.  Like 90/50, my PCP says to increase my sodium intake!  And I do!!!!!  Love me some bacon.  BTW, it is great to season your cast iron skillet.

BrigidD, MarktheNerd and ThinCVT like this

My uncle always put a gross amount of salt on his food--popcorn, steaks, vegetables, anything. He started having some health issues and his wife made him go to the doctor, convinced it was his salt.

They did blood work and the diagnosis was low sodium--eat more salt. :)

LeeC, 50zann, walkat103 and 1 other like this

Poor, poor bacon gets such a bad rap :(  here's the sodium content per serving of the Hormel crumbled bacon vs other "Bariatric friendly" foods WLS patients eat all the time.....

bacon 190mg

premier chocolate 210mg

Quest bar 210mg

cottage cheese 400mg

so back to our regular scheduled program.  Am I and Mark the only bacon lovers?!  For you closet bacon lovers out there I Forgot to include another favorite recipe.....Brussels sprouts sautéed with bacon and onions.

Love bacon. 

ThinCVT and 50zann like this

I buy bacon at Trader Joe's -it's uncured, 40% less fat, and totally yummy! I have a microwave bacon cooker,  and it isn't messy at all. So I open a package, put it all in the microwave, then freeze it in a baggie-so I can grab a couple of slices in the morning,  or add to a salad, whatever-anytime!

I love bacon!

LeeC, duffman27 and ThinCVT like this

bacon, bacon, bacon. ( Image of a dog jumping for a bacon treat)

If allowed, I would eat bacon every day and twice on Sunday.

Crumbled bacon on top of deviled eggs. My mouth is watering.

cherylm321, ThinCVT and MarktheNerd like this

I actually use (and choose) Turkey bacon for really the most silliest of reasons.....  it stays flat when you cook it.   I do love bacon but don't use it a ton.  Things I primarly make though:

Cream cheese stuffed Jalapenos wrapped in bacon 

Chicken, bacon, ranch salad.  http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/topic/98661-chicken-bacon-ranch-salad/

BLT  (tomato, bacon and cucumber as bread)

Omlettes

ThinCVT, MarktheNerd and cherylm321 like this

1. I don't eat it very often.  But my sodium levels are too low.  Got to go back in to be retested.  Everything tastes too salty.  And to think I used to salt everything from cheese to watermelon!  Bacon doesn't even taste good any more:(

Thanks Spunkycat...can't wait to make bacon deviled eggs!

jolls,  I totally forgot about the cream cheese stuffed jalapeños!  They actually mark a milestone in my life.....I was a vegetarian for several years back in the 90's.  One day I went to a party at a friend's house and she was making these on the grill.  They smelled SO good!  All of my meat aversions and vegetarian principals suddenly flew out the window and I popped one in my mouth.  Been a meat eater ever since. :o

MarktheNerd and ElizabethS143 like this

I was vegetarian for 17 years until I got pregnant and could. not. live. without big macs.  It was one of the only things I could keep down.  Now that i'm done having kids I have mostly vegetarian tendencies..EXCEPT for BAAACON.  Good, sweet, lord.  I do love bacon.  

~Becca~ and ThinCVT like this

This is overkill, and I would probably have liked it pre-WLS, but it doesn't look appealing now. I have all I can handle to eat any meat or fish.

LeeC and ThinCVT like this

29 minutes ago, tmcgee said:

This is overkill, and I would probably have liked it pre-WLS, but it doesn't look appealing now. I have all I can handle to eat any meat or fish.

All I have to say is OH MY GOD!

tmcgee and LeeC like this