WLSJourney

emotional BEFORE sugery?

17 posts in this topic

Hi All!

My surgery is this Friday 10/30 (3-ish days away)  I am finding the last few days I have been very emotional. I am surprised by this as I am on day 10 of my pre-op diet, but starting to feel nervous about Friday.  I feel like I am getting side tracked by negative and sad thoughts about what lies ahead and also taking other people's tone very personally.

I feel like I need to go into hiding until this is over.  Did any of you feel particularly emotional leading up to surgery?  I also think... Man, if I am like this pre-surgery, what will happen POST surgery?!? ;)

Stephtay and Raeme like this

When I finally made the decision and saw the surgeon, two days later I had a freakout. My husband came home and as I handed over the care of our son, I said I needed to go, I'm flipping. I called a friend who'd had a bypass done and he helped peel me off the ceiling.

Do you have a friend IRL to talk to about this? If not, see if you can talk to a counselor. Getting the anxiety out will help.

Stephtay likes this

yep yep yep. every step closer seems to cause me all sorts of emotions.  sometimes i get really scared.  sometimes i worry about self sabotage.  just all sorts of things.  if you look at people's posts in the days leading to their surgery, i think you'll see that lots feel like you do at the moment.  one girl was like, of heck no! i'm not going through with it! (she did).  This was the day before her surgery was scheduled.  I think if you've gone through all the pre-op stuff and felt confident in your decision before this point, it's safe to say it's some normal pre-op jitters.  I hope you're able to calm them somehow- take a walk, have a chat with a friend.  Look around here, there's plenty of folks who have felt like you! All the best and good luck! xo

Raeme and Stephtay like this

I was a mess before surgery. I was so scared about giving up my love affair with food. I was sad knowing that I wouldn't be able to eat like I used to. It was really hard for me coming off carbs. I was grouchy and weepy. I was short with people. I didn't actually punch anyone but I thought about it. A lot. Even the morning of surgery on the way to the hospital I asked my husband over and over:

Am I doing the right thing?  yes

Should I go through with this?  yes

Is this a terrible idea?  no

OMG, I am so scared. Should I bail now? no

I worked myself into a semi-frenzy. In the back of my mind, I KNEW WLS was the right choice for me. I knew how to lose weight, I'd been doing it for years. But I had no idea how to keep it off. I had no idea how to live without riding that crazy making ride of what to eat, when to eat, feeling bad that I over ate so then eating more to make myself feel better again. Then feeling badly about how I looked. Repeat.

For me, it was a little rough emotionally the first couple of weeks after surgery. I just focused on sipping water, walking and getting in protein. It turned out for me to far easier than I anticipated and I can say with 100% conviction WLS is the best decision I have ever made. 

Keep breathing, try to distract yourself and hang in there. It will all be worth it!

I'm sitting here to anxious to fall asleep;) surgery tomorrow!!!

I've done all my instructions for the night but my stomach is still grumbling from the "prep"... 

I will be getting up at 4:15 for the hospital, so I will see everyone on the losers bench sometime tomorrow!

I'm sitting here to anxious to fall asleep;) surgery tomorrow!!!

I've done all my instructions for the night but my stomach is still grumbling from the "prep"... 

I will be getting up at 4:15 for the hospital, so I will see everyone on the losers bench sometime tomorrow!

Good luck and best wishes to you!!  Come back soon and tell us how it went.

Thinking of you this morning WLSJourney.

Have a smooth surgery - see you on the losers bench.

Thinking of you today and wishing you the very best of luck. Please let us know how it went.

Thank you all. I'm ok. Sore and tired. I will check in better when not so out of it. But i made it!

thornbury150, Liv, Jen_Lynn and 1 other like this

Thank you all. I'm ok. Sore and tired. I will check in better when not so out of it. But i made it!

Congratulations and welcome to the world of a gastric bypass patient.

Congratulations and welcome to the bench!!

almost 1 day out and feeling much better. i have been tryibg hard to walk through my gas pains. Im more awake which im grateful for. i am hopeful for a speedy recovery. :) the staff here have been great which is encouraging me to be a good patient! so grateful for the support here. i feel less alone.

Liv likes this

Welcome to the losers bench.  Congrats!!!!

keep sipping and keep walking, things get better everyday.

Congratulations on getting through your surgery and reaching the recovery phase of your journey. It will keep getting better from here. :)

Thanks for sharing this! I am three weeks from surgery and experiencing some major pre-surgery jitters! Nice to know I'm not the only one. Hope you are doing well!

Liv likes this

Thank you so much for sharing this. I am 10 days from surgery and an emotional mess. I've thought of cancelling. I'm scared of failure. Scared I won't cope. Your message comforted me.

2 hours ago, Liv said:

Thank you so much for sharing this. I am 10 days from surgery and an emotional mess. I've thought of cancelling. I'm scared of failure. Scared I won't cope. Your message comforted me.

Your bariatric program is designed to give you the tools you need to succeed, and it's one the first step of the rest of your life. I was fine before surgery, it was in the ten days afterwards that I melted down. Looking back now, being 152 pounds down from where I started, I wouldn't change a thing, and I am still learning how all of this works. There is no way I'll ever go back where I was.

Hang in there, I had top rated support from the medical people, as well as my family and friends. I couldn't have survived those first weeks without them.

Clickin likes this