modesta96

What should I tell my teachers?

16 posts in this topic

I am a college student and idk what to tell my teachers, if anything. I plan on being out for a week before going back should I tell them about the surgery?

Tell them what you are comfortable with, no more and no less.  It is up to you, they do not have to know the details of what you'e doing.  If you have to tell them something just say you are going to be out for a surgical procedure and leave it at that.

I agree with PapaG.  Very personal decision on what you share. I shared with a good handful of my coworkers and immediate family as they also knew I had significant stomach issues and support was great. Didn't and still do not on FB.

Some are really proud and are an openbook, other's keep the journey to themselves. Both are okay. The second you share it is out there for discussion.

Are you only taking a week off after surgery? I know being in school really makes it tricky.  Be careful and aware your stamina my be really low. Kind of like jet lag. 

modesta96 likes this

Tell them what you are comfortable with, no more and no less.  It is up to you, they do not have to know the details of what you'e doing.  If you have to tell them something just say you are going to be out for a surgical procedure and leave it at that.

I just hope they do not start digging... I am not a good lair lol

I agree with PapaG.  Very personal decision on what you share. I shared with a good handful of my coworkers and immediate family as they also knew I had significant stomach issues and support was great. Didn't and still do not on FB.

Some are really proud and are an openbook, other's keep the journey to themselves. Both are okay. The second you share it is out there for discussion.

Are you only taking a week off after surgery? I know being in school really makes it tricky.  Be careful and aware your stamina my be really low. Kind of like jet lag. 

Yes, my plan is only a week. Lucy for me I only have one long day. I tried to save my days absent but it was hard. I am a older student (married with children) so i missed a couple days last week with sick children. I am praying that I will be ok to only have to be out a week though.

Be sure and  talk with all your professors well in advance and see if you can do any of the work in advance.  Also be aware of their attendance policies; some require documentation, others are pretty laid back as long as you're getting your work done.  You have a right to privacy, but you do have to follow their rules. 

modesta96 likes this

Perhaps you could tell them, as PapaG suggested, that you're having a routine procedure. And if they dig, maybe you could reply with "I really appreciate your concern but I'm kind of private about this stuff."

modesta96 likes this

This may be that one time in your life it is okay to be brave and ask for help. Close friends and family to step in and shuffle kiddos, take them a while & prepare a meal or two.  Your health comes first and you deserve the best recovery and healthy life.

modesta96 and tmcgee like this

I just hope they do not start digging... I am not a good lair lol

No need to lie, just say it's a personal matter.  It's not really their business.

Jabsie and tmcgee like this

I tell everyone, and that works for me, though not everybody is wired that way. You've gotta do what works for you.  Telling the school it's a personal matter is entirely okay.                  

modesta96 likes this

I'd probably tell them I was having major surgery and leave it at that. I might even be comfortable saying abdominal surgery. That covers a multitude of things.

modesta96 likes this

I'd probably tell them I was having major surgery and leave it at that. I might even be comfortable saying abdominal surgery. That covers a multitude of things.

Perhaps you could tell them, as PapaG suggested, that you're having a routine procedure. And if they dig, maybe you could reply with "I really appreciate your concern but I'm kind of private about this stuff."

I think I will go with a combination of both of these. Thanks y'all!

BrigidD likes this

This may be that one time in your life it is okay to be brave and ask for help. Close friends and family to step in and shuffle kiddos, take them a while & prepare a meal or two.  Your health comes first and you deserve the best recovery and healthy life.

I have a really good support system with my husband and parents. My dad actually had the surgery over a year ago and he is doing great. My husband is great support t me though; I am sure he will wait on me hand and foot :)  as well as stepping up to help with the kids and house hold things

Edited by modesta96
tmcgee likes this

I teach college part time and, at least for me, I'd just want to know you are going to be out for medical reasons--I wouldn't want/need any details unless I had some sort of relationship with a student outside of school. But I'm a very private guy in the real world who hates sharing anything.

Regardless, legally, they're can't require you to disclose anything other than a generic medical leave...if they're assholes they may want a doctor's note if you're going to miss anything or if attendance is required.

Mark

modesta96 likes this

I teach college part time and, at least for me, I'd just want to know you are going to be out for medical reasons--I wouldn't want/need any details unless I had some sort of relationship with a student outside of school. But I'm a very private guy in the real world who hates sharing anything.

Regardless, legally, they're can't require you to disclose anything other than a generic medical leave...if they're assholes they may want a doctor's note if you're going to miss anything or if attendance is required.

Mark

Only one teacher asked what kind of surgery, I was like abdominal. I didnt even want to say that but it happened so fast.

Hah, that would have killed me. Nosy s.o.b's!