Lisa Esposito

Clueless things people say after major weight loss

37 posts in this topic

I told all of my family, my coworkers, pretty much everyone that has asked or commented on my loss. But I am a 'choose the wrench' kind of guy so it works for me ( Props to anyone who knows the movie reference)

Most have been very supportive, I have had a couple people tell me it is the easy way out and my usual response is "Absolutely, I had surgery and all of my weight magically fell off and I didn't have to do a thing and now I am happy and healthy and can eat anything I want in whatever quantities I desire" and both have said "Really", then I just stared at them until they walked away.

On 9 April 2016 at 1:46 AM, ShrinkMe said:

I don't understand why people get bent out of shape by anyone taking the "easy way out". Even if it WERE the easy way, why do others find it more virtuous to do things the hard way? If it were more virtuous to do things the hard way, why aren't these judgemental people walking to work, cooking on a campfire, hunting their food and clothing, making their tools from stones, bones and sticks? Apparently easy is ok for anyone but those who need to lose weight. I haven't had my surgery yet (June 7) but I am already aware that this is going to take just as much work as those who do it without surgery....in otherwords, NOT easy, but IF it were why would anyone say no "No, I must do it the hard way"? It boggles the mind!  This is my main reason for keeping this to a very tiny (3 people) group of people I trust. NO ONE else has any need to know!!

T

Yes, yes and yes to all of this! I have only told 4 people of my plans...my partner, my parents (I need them to watch the kids when I am in for the op) and my very closest friend whose negative judgement I needed to talk myself out of a funk I had got myself into about it (by the end of the conversation, her opinion had completely changed and she was selling it to me haha!). 

if anyone asks how I am losing weight, I will tell them the truth...I'm eating significantly less and exercising significantly more :D 

My Bariatric Life likes this

On 15 August 2016 at 5:47 PM, Kenb72 said:

I told all of my family, my coworkers, pretty much everyone that has asked or commented on my loss. But I am a 'choose the wrench' kind of guy so it works for me ( Props to anyone who knows the movie reference)

Most have been very supportive, I have had a couple people tell me it is the easy way out and my usual response is "Absolutely, I had surgery and all of my weight magically fell off and I didn't have to do a thing and now I am happy and healthy and can eat anything I want in whatever quantities I desire" and both have said "Really", then I just stared at them until they walked away.

Good Will Hunting...how d'ya like them apples ;)  

The effectiveness of a post-sarcasm stare knows no bounds...I hope they feel suitably educated in the art of keeping ones opinions to oneself :D  

17 hours ago, AlbaGuBrath said:

Good Will Hunting...how d'ya like them apples ;)  

The effectiveness of a post-sarcasm stare knows no bounds...I hope they feel suitably educated in the art of keeping ones opinions to oneself :D  

"What we've got here is failure to communicate."

How about movie, and song for this one

*cough*  Some men you just can't reach...

I've only had one person say something odd to me, and it was a woman I am not really fond of anyways, but she looked at me, grabbed her belly and said "Oh Maybe I should get it done, it looks like it just melts off".. I had to smile and nod and walk away from that one. 

GAviv and My Bariatric Life like this

On January 24, 2016 at 7:20 PM, tmcgee said:

My wife gained almost all of it back, I try to encourage her without being a jerk about it, but  it isn't working. She has many other health problems and I try to be supportive. It is NOT easy.

I understand if you don't want to share, but as a fear of mine is gaining it all back, I was wondering, what were the things you saw happen with your wife that caused her to gain her weight back? Any tips for me based on her own journey?

2 hours ago, ValerieKGorman said:

I understand if you don't want to share, but as a fear of mine is gaining it all back, I was wondering, what were the things you saw happen with your wife that caused her to gain her weight back? Any tips for me based on her own journey?

My old boss had it done, gained it all back and then some.  She went through a stressful time with her dad being sick and dying.  That was the beginning.  Then, she started keeping a bottle of Coke and a box of crackers on her desk (she would eat at least a box of crackers everyday).  That's one way...

My Bariatric Life likes this

On August 19, 2016 at 9:58 PM, Zyia said:

I've only had one person say something odd to me, and it was a woman I am not really fond of anyways, but she looked at me, grabbed her belly and said "Oh Maybe I should get it done, it looks like it just melts off".. I had to smile and nod and walk away from that one. 

To that my dear, I just have to say "#%$???!!!" Geez, the gall of some people.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 8:58 PM, Zyia said:

So you get what we had last week

Zyia likes this

The shrink told me to tell more people (I'm pre, not post), but I haven't. It's not so much that I am concerned about unkind people, just people feeling they should evaluate or make decisions about what I'm doing or not, progressing, etc.

Cheesehead likes this

I think when I get the comment that I took the easy way out, I'm gonna just say "YUP!!" loud and proud and just look at them. They are saying it to shame us so if I don't feel shame but confidence, I think it will catch them off guard and probably shut them up. 

teacupnosaucer and LeeC like this

haha valerie i feel the exact same way. very, very few people know i had this surgery but if anyone ever said that to me i would totally say YUP loud and proud. ditto for saying i'm vain for wanting plastics. YUP. :P

ValerieKGorman and Res Ipsa like this