Kgcoyne

Overstitch Revision or other revision successes?

12 posts in this topic

Just checking in to see if anyone else out there has had this type of revision?    Im looking into it myself.  I have my first appt next week.  I lost my thyroid due to cancer last yr, and have put on 25 pounds in that yr.  I didnt lose all my weight after gastric bypass.  Lowest weight was 174.  Now its getting up there again.  Now with no thyroid,  and I turned 51 this year, menopause is just around the corner!   Hello weight gain!

Wondering the success rate of a revision?

sleeved524 likes this

I've had modest success with the Overstitch. At my final consult before surgery, I was 295. Today I weighed in at 259. What you need to keep in mind is that this surgery fixes mechanical problems that have led to weight gain (enlarged stoma or pouch). If everything is the way it should be, the surgery won't help much. I know that losing the thyroid was a major blow (my husband has Graves Disease). I'm assuming that you've finally ironed out the kinds in your medication dosage, so the big question would be if your endocrine system is causing the weight gain or if you're surgery has mechanically failed and you're eating too much. Either way, if you keep looking for the answer, you are eventually going to find it. Good luck!

sleeved524 and Jolls like this

Just had my endoscopy yesterday, and its been confirmed that the opening from my pouch to the intestine is too big.  Next step, consult on the Overstitch procedure.  Not til April 11, 2016. 

Would love to hear from anyone else that has had this procedure done???

sleeved524 likes this

Well, seems like there isn't too many of us out there yet?    The opening at the bottom of my stoma is 3 times as big as they like to see it, so food is just passing through way too fast.  Hence, hungry more often.  Top that off with the removal of my thyroid due to cancer.  So my Apollo Overstich surgery done endoscopically has been scheduled to Nov 9..2016 !  Will keep all posted.  Still hoping to hear from others that may have had this procedure done?  45 days of liquids ONLY after the surgery... that in itself, should cause a significant weight loss.........  Gonna miss Thanksgiving dinner though !

sleeved524 likes this

I asked the surgeon about mine and he said it was the size of a quarter.

sleeved524 likes this

Im going to Brigham & Womens for the Revision actually - Dr Thompson is doing it.

sleeved524 likes this

I'm curious how you'll be doing after the revision. Keep us updated.

sleeved524 likes this

Hi, my name is Renee, just joined the forum today. I am 11 years post RNY and have gained lots of weight. I have met with a team of 3 doctors at UCLA and go in for over stitch procedure May 15, 2017. Looking for others that have had this experience. It has been so long since I had the surgery, I kinda forgot what it was like after and I am getting nervous. Any suggestions?

sleeved524 likes this

KGKONYE Where are you??? How are you doing and did the overstich ever happen..  please give us update you left us hanging i see.  Hi Renee, i havent had the overstich but actually thought about it .  i had a revision from band to sleeve in May 2016 i know its not a year yet but i already feel i am overeating already i have lost 25-30lbs only in about the first 4 months and then it stopped i have not regain any of that lost just up and down 1 lb 2 lbs.  i spoke to my doctor who thinks im fine and reminded me that it would be slow since it was a revision but my golly i didnt do a revision to lose 25lbs.  so i made a deal with my doctor that i was going to really try hard on focusing on what im eating incorporate a little excersize and by my 1 year May 24th if nothing has not changed i want an endoscopy to find out the size of this sleeve and see if i need an overstitch.  fare enough right?

So i'm waiting for KGKONYE or RENEE4111 or anyone else that has done an overstictch and the results good bad or indifferent.  

Thank you..

oh im 5'9 started at 250 today 225  goal weight 198 for now.  ultimately 185lbs. female.

you know, I saw the earlier post and I wasn't going to reply.... because I feel like I have a special set of circumstances.... at least that's what I am telling myself........ IT FAILED or I did, big time.... I didn't want to discourage anyone who is thinking of having it, because maybe Im not the right person to compare with?   I did have it done, and all went well.....Dr said he tightened everything up with lots of stiches. After surgery, I was on liquid only for 35 days.... and in that time, there wasn't any hunger to speak of... It wasnt a intense as the first around. Im sure I had only 300-400 calories a day, usually one protein shake, maybe 2.... All I had was protein shakes and soup.   I lost 14 pounds in that time.  But, for me...Once I started on solid food again, I started gaining ......  and have gain back the 14 pounds I lost,. ( in about 2.5 months now)    My circumstances are this.... 2 yrs now I have been dealing with no thyroid, lost it to cancer.  And my TSH levels are really on & off, and Im just not feeling right.... so I think that is partially why this revision really did nothing for me... I swear that there is something wrong, I don't eat enough to gain that much.... I don't eat perfectly either..........  I have yet to find a Dr who will do more tests to figure this out........  I am eating less than before... sometimes I can eat more, some days less....  I wish I could share a success story with you.........  just beyond frustrated.

tmcgee likes this

Have you tried switching up what you eat? Most of us do far better when we avoid simple carbs. Please keep us in the loop, we are all students, even those 4 or more years out like me. There isn't a single day that goes by where I don't try to make things better, and I know that will be true for the rest of my life.