Jolls

Food of the Day (pictured)

384 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, JulieW said:

What's tvp?

It sounds kind of gross but it's textured vegetable protein.  Out of the bag it adds a nice nutty granola like crunch. I dip my spoon in my yogurt and dab it in the tvp.  It reminds me a bit of grape nuts but isn't nearly as hard as I remember grape nuts being.  I never liked that stuff but I have always loved good granola though I haven't had any since surgery. 

On 28/09/2016 at 0:40 AM, JulieW said:

What's tvp?

Textured vegetable protien

Chicken crust pizza (yes people - chicken - crust) with homemade alfredo sauce, bacon, sundried tomato and banana peppers.  12 pieces.   1pc=  170 cal, 14 prot, 12 fat, 1 carb

http://www.surfandsunshine.com/guilt-free-chicken-crust-pizza-recipe/

14680583_809337479208831_635585606323573327_n.jpg

Gonna try this with turkey this weekend cause I have LOTS of ground turkey.  I can't imagine why it wouldn't work exactly the same.  Not sure for toppings yet though!  Homemade spicy marinara, spinach and jalapenos maybe!

Edited by Jolls

15 hours ago, Jolls said:

Chicken crust pizza (yes people - chicken - crust) with homemade alfredo sauce, bacon, sundried tomato and banana peppers.  12 pieces.   1pc=  170 cal, 14 prot, 12 fat, 1 carb

http://www.surfandsunshine.com/guilt-free-chicken-crust-pizza-recipe/

14680583_809337479208831_635585606323573327_n.jpg

Gonna try this with turkey this weekend cause I have LOTS of ground turkey.  I can't imagine why it wouldn't work exactly the same.  Not sure for toppings yet though!  Homemade spicy marinara, spinach and jalapenos maybe!

Have you tried the cauliflower crust? If you have, how do they compare in flavor and texture? I really like the cauliflower crust but a chicken crust just seems weird to me! 

ShrinkingViolet2 likes this

Yes, I've used the cauliflower crust exclusively until finding this recipe.  Personally I like the flavor with the cauliflower more, but the chicken gives you the full out texture of eating pizza.  Plus I like all the protein is literally in the crust cause its all chicken so no need for really any other meat.  Chicken crust is over all more sturdy and pizza-like.  It is also far less time consuming to make (if you buy ground chicken).   I can't really pick one of the other though; they both are almost equally as good in my eyes.  BF liked the cauliflower crust also but now that I gave him the chicken, he far like the chicken crust better.

Edited by Jolls
JulieW likes this

Jolls,

Can you use canned chicken breast for the crust as well? I've only seen recipes for ground chicken.

I'm not sure, this is the first time I've made it myself.   Canned chicken is already cooked though so I'm really not sure how you would handle cook time for this recipe without drying it out a ton.  I'd try it 10-15 min maybe and only broil the toppings after that  OR  maybe put all the ingredients onto of the 'un baked' canned chicken crust and then bake it all at once maybe.   You will have to experiement!

Hm maybe I'll try ground turkey and see if that works.

I made 2 ground turkey ones this weekend and they both turned out just like the chicken.  I did find the turkey to be 'wetter' than chicken when baked so I put it in for 15 minutes, then took it out; put another parchment paper overtop of it, flipped it over and then put it back in the oven for just 1-2 minutes and that resolved that.  (still letting it rest for 5 or so after baking before doing toppings).

What you put on really determines the carb content.  This turkey, homemade marinara, turkey pepperoni, mushroom & jalapeno one had almost 2 carb per slice.  Not complaining, just saying!  I also made a turkey, raspberry inferno, blue cheese, celery, onion, olive one for him which I'm sure has a handful carbs or so in it it - but I don't like half the stuff I put on there and thus won't eat it so didn't bother figuring out the nutritional value.

VicWytch likes this

On 10/26/2016 at 10:00 PM, Jolls said:

Chicken crust pizza (yes people - chicken - crust)

I bet this is really good made in a cast iron skillet! Gonna try it soon.  

Baked feta stuffed chicken breast wrapped with prosciutto, asparagus with bacon..hubby had fried potatoes plus a third of my piece of chicken;)

IMG_1781.JPG

Edited by Cheesehead
msmarymac, WendyH, tmcgee and 4 others like this

I like feta and fried clams, and neither likes me. I don't have to tell you why....  It is still quite appealing to look at, Lois!

Edited by tmcgee
Cheesehead likes this

Honey Garlic chicken 

IMG_1046.JPG

Edited by Kimchan

Ghee and dill salmon, purple cabbage medley, yam cubes

IMG_0540.JPG

Parmesan and ricotta stuffed eggplant rolls

IMG_0951.JPG

Raeme, GAviv, Cheesehead and 3 others like this

1 hour ago, Kimchan said:

Honey Garlic chicken 

IMG_1046.JPG

Looks delicious ! recipe ? 

1 hour ago, Amber76bailey said:

Looks delicious ! recipe ? 

It's really good. I got it off of damndelicious.net: http://damndelicious.net/2015/06/05/slow-cooker-honey-garlic-chicken-and-veggies/

With a web site named like that, how can you go wrong, LOL!:D

Amber76bailey likes this

8 minutes ago, Kimchan said:

It's really good. I got it off of damndelicious.net: http://damndelicious.net/2015/06/05/slow-cooker-honey-garlic-chicken-and-veggies/

With a web site named like that, how can you go wrong, LOL!:D

Thank you ! 

One last one for a while: cauliflower fried "rice". It was a big hit with the family and tastes just like the original minus the carbs.

http://bestrecipebox.com/recipes/cauliflower-fried-rice/

IMG_0748.JPG

GAviv, Raeme, WendyH and 4 others like this

Curry Chicken and cauliflower rice.

I recently purchased an Instant Pot, and its the best thing I have ever cooked in. The chicken is so tender and takes about 30 minutes to cook.  The cauliflower rice takes 3 minutes to cook in the microwave.  Yummmmy!

food of the day.jpg

tmcgee, Clickin, WendyH and 2 others like this

17 hours ago, Kimchan said:

One last one for a while: cauliflower fried "rice". It was a big hit with the family and tastes just like the original minus the carbs.

http://bestrecipebox.com/recipes/cauliflower-fried-rice/

IMG_0748.JPG

That looks great, I will try it!

1 hour ago, babykinz53 said:

Curry Chicken and cauliflower rice.

I recently purchased an Instant Pot, and its the best thing I have ever cooked in. The chicken is so tender and takes about 30 minutes to cook.  The cauliflower rice takes 3 minutes to cook in the microwave.  Yummmmy!

food of the day.jpg

Never been crazy about curry but the 'instant pot' has my attention.

On November 2, 2016 at 7:45 PM, tmcgee said:

Never been crazy about curry but the 'instant pot' has my attention.

Instant pot was something our nutritionist suggested at one of our classes.  She said she and her daughter both use theirs almost daily.  Nut cooks for two and her daughter cooks for four. Haven't tried it but think I may have to get one. 

Pickles are a vegetable, right? ;)

rsz_20161114_191020.jpg

2 hours ago, WendyH said:

Pickles are a vegetable, right? ;)

rsz_20161114_191020.jpg

That's correct! :D