kylem

Reset

12 posts in this topic

I am just over three years post op from full bypass. I have gained some weight back, around 20lbs from my lowest weight. I know the reason is I can eat anything with no problems. I travel a lot for work and have to eat out so its hard to be good all the time. Anyway I have decided I need to reset. I am wondering if I should do the 5 day pouch test or the pre-op liquid diet. I never have any feelings of true hunger but a lot of head hunger. This is my second day of all liquids, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't done either a pre-op liquid diet or the 5-DPT but if I had to choose, it would be the 5-DPT.

2 days of liquids, a day of soft protein, a day of firm protein and one day of solid protein sounds doable to me and the 5-DPT has a good track record for getting people back on track.

I'm about 3 1/2 years out. I've done the 5DPT a few times over the past 2 years, and it really helped. It wasn't easy, but it works. Be prepared with a lot of liquid options for the first couple of days. Protein shakes, sugar free pudding, tomato soup, and homemade veggie soup (I make it spicy) are my go-to options for those first 2 days... they give me both sweet and savory tastes to keep me from feeling too deprived. I didn't worry about how much of these things I consumed, I just had something whenever I felt hungry. It curbed the carb cravings and kick-started the weight loss. I started at 310,  got down to 155, then bounced up to 175. That's the first time I tried the pouch test, and I  got down to 165. Whenever the weight starts to creep up again and/or I notice my old eating habits are returning, I do the test. I've been maintaining around 165 since then, and I'm really content with that.

LeeC and Res Ipsa like this

I did the 5 day pouch test back on 8/4. It was HARD but I DID IT!!! And I once again found restriction and broke my carb addiction. I'd DEFINITELY say do it!! Then, take all the things you learn during it, and go back to the basics of before...You know, lean protein first, some veggies and fruit and lots of water!!

It's a GREAT plan, and I've now been back on track, logging all my food and keeping track of my progress....I've lost 32 lbs since 8/4! Also, we dine out alot, so tracking things in My Fitness Pal has REALLY been awesome for me!!!

Res Ipsa likes this

I'm struggling with regain (20 lbs from my absolute lowest, generally 16 lbs from my lowest sustainable weight) and for me the number one issue is NO SNACKS!!! A little bit here, a little bit there, it adds up into a whole lot overall. The nutritionist said there was absolutely no need to snack (I know that some people have blood sugar issues, but this is for someone who doesn't) and she is so right. My meals are reasonable, generally, protein plus veggie or fruit, it's the snacks that piled on the pounds, that plus being 3+ years out and my body is very efficient at using every calorie now, it seems. The number two issue is water consumption. I've gotten really bad at consuming the 64 oz+ that we are supposed to consume a day, and when I keep a big glass of water by me all day (and make myself finish it) I'm much less likely to snack. It's tough, but it's worth it. I look at it this way - I only have 16-20 lbs to lose now, instead of 138!!!!!!!!!!! I can manage that, a little at a time, just by cleaning up my act. Good luck to you, we can do this!

LeeC and Res Ipsa like this

I'm considering doing the 5 day pouch test.  Will report back how it worked!

Avanelle likes this

Have to try this..

I need to try this because I seem quite stalled on my weight gain and seem to be getting sick a lot lately. Also, I am having issues with a lot of foods getting stuck. Is there a place to find some examples of foods for each day? I want to make sure I am well prepared and I would like to get it done before I go back to work in a couple of weeks. Thanks

Okay so I have decided to try the 5 day pouch test to reset my pouch and hopefully jump start my weight loss again. The only thing that I'm not sure about is that I have been trying to get pregnant and actually am late on my period by almost two weeks. I'm not sure if the reset is a good idea if I get pregnant. Suggestions or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

What is the 5 day pouch test?

6 hours ago, Sally L said:

What is the 5 day pouch test?

The 5 day pouch test is a short term diet for people who have had weight loss suregery. It is designed to get the person back on track after some unwanted regain of weight. Here is some information on it:

http://www.5daypouchtest.com/plan/theplan.html

Thanks