Florida Girl

Excess skin and baby bump

13 posts in this topic

After a 230 lb weight loss I have a LOT of loose midsection skin. Now at 18 weeks pregnant I really don't appear pregnant...just like I'm getting thick around the middle and must appear to others like simple weight gain.

Anyone else have experience with this? When I pull the skin up there is a very healthy bump. It works in a way since I haven't shared at work that I'm pregnant. I'm sure it will be more obvious within a month. I delivered both my older kids at 400 lbs and didn't even look pregnant until around eight months.

So if you have excess skin, when did you start showing?

I started really showing about 20 ish weeks. My bump was really high so it filled out all the skin on my upper abdomen. But my pannus is where most of my belly skin hangs, and the baby didn't push that out at all. Very weird.

My loose skin had already been stretched the perfect amount to accommodate my bump, haha. Now it's back to looking saggy and gross.

I am 11 weeks now and everyone is telling me that I have an obvious baby bump. This is my 2nd, my daughter is 14 now and I was at least 350 when I was pregnant with her and still showed by the end of the 1st trimester. I have a bunch of excess skin too, of course. I was concerned how well the uterus and baby will be supported since its all so lose and my midwife suggested that I need to get a support band for under my belly.

I had a little moment this past weekend when I realized I could see my tummy past my breasts again. I just have to remind myself that its the baby and not weight.

Mikeical ( mike ) and GAviv like this

No advice, but congratulations!

I am pregnant for a second time since bypass....Trust me.. your bump WILL come. I had significant loose skin as well. I went to the motherhood maternity store and purchased pregnancy spanx my first time around. I wore them ALL the time. With Jeans, dresses, you name it. It holds the skin in enough to help "form" your bump into looking more like a bump vs "gaining midsection weight". It also helped make me look nice and smooth even with T-shirts. I found that I enjoyed wearing fitted clothing through my pregnancy and at about 20 weeks I definitely looked pregnant. Good luck and Congratulations :)

I'm 26 weeks now, and although that's technically 6.5 months pregnant, three people over the weekend told me I didn't look pregnant AT ALL. I think they are smoking crack, or the American perception of what a normal body looks like has changed drastically. The first pic is me in July at 3 months - a lot thicker than usual, but no obvious bump. The second was taken yesterday. I too have a pannus and my bump is pretty high, but for the love of...I can't see my feet when I look down. People can't think that's normal, 

When I look at me I see a pregnant woman. Apparently when others look at me they see someone who has gained twenty pounds..all in their belly. I'm starting to think I'm either surrounded by really special people (some people definitely comment on the fact that I look pregnant). As a disclaimer, I'm talking about people I've known for years, not strangers who obviously wouldn't comment on whether someone was pregnant or not for fear of looking stupid.

It really all comes down to a fear that after such a huge weight loss people are going to assume that I'm simply getting fat again, and that bugs me.

IMAG1826.jpg

IMAG2007.jpg

Edited by Florida Girl
Liv and ~Dani*Bear~ like this

I think you look great, and definitely pregnant! Be proud of your cute bump :) 

Clickin likes this

Thanks Greer - I'm starting to get a complex! I think it's because I'm comparing my 41 year old self to the little 20 year olds at the obstetrician's office - they look like I used to, just with a soccer ball stuck under their shirt. Oh well...it will all be over soon, and with three boys to run me ragged I'll be bony again in no time.

GAviv likes this

I'm sorry, but these people of yours are lame and don't know what they are talking about. 

You definitely have a baby in there, not a dozen donuts. ;)

WendyH, GAviv and cherylm321 like this

Definitely a baby bump. I use to work at macys and I had 2 customers ask me if I was pregnant (this was before I had WLS). One person I said yes I am about 7 months (when I wasnt prego at all) and the other one I said no I am just fat.

well I was going to put a pic on here but it keeps telling me there is a problem with your upload. oh well. I will be 21 weeks tomorrow and I know people who dont know I am prego thinks that I am gainging my weight back. I think it is ingrained in their head that most people gain their weight back after WLS.

Best of luck and enjoy.

That is most definitely have a little one in there! You have an adorable bump!

I have been out of work sick all week and when I came back in this morning I had 2 coworkers immediately tell me how round my bump is, and my teenager told me I have a basketball belly over the weekend lol. It is so different from 14 years ago when I was pregnant with her at 350lbs!

This pic is from last week, 18 weeks along with our little guy!

18 weeks.jpg

Clickin, Liv and GAviv like this

You look like an adorable preggo chick!

Congrats Florida Girl! You look amazing. Is this your first child? I'm 39 and hope to fall pregnant after gastric bypass. How long after your surgery did you fall pregnant? 

I'm 26 weeks now, and although that's technically 6.5 months pregnant, three people over the weekend told me I didn't look pregnant AT ALL. I think they are smoking crack, or the American perception of what a normal body looks like has changed drastically. The first pic is me in July at 3 months - a lot thicker than usual, but no obvious bump. The second was taken yesterday. I too have a pannus and my bump is pretty high, but for the love of...I can't see my feet when I look down. People can't think that's normal, 

When I look at me I see a pregnant woman. Apparently when others look at me they see someone who has gained twenty pounds..all in their belly. I'm starting to think I'm either surrounded by really special people (some people definitely comment on the fact that I look pregnant). As a disclaimer, I'm talking about people I've known for years, not strangers who obviously wouldn't comment on whether someone was pregnant or not for fear of looking stupid.

It really all comes down to a fear that after such a huge weight loss people are going to assume that I'm simply getting fat again, and that bugs me.

IMAG1826.jpg

IMAG2007.jpg