BlondeCAgirl

Annoying coworkers

I got into work this morning and the two men who had been less than supportive immediately sent me an instant message saying, "It's not too late to turn back" and "1 in 50 people die as a result of this surgery". I told them I wan't going to respond to either of them. I did however, ask where they go that 1/50 statistic. They said it was some medical journal or something. I wish I knew how to respond to all this.

Jenn sometimes silence is Golden. Responding might do nothing but open a gate for more stuff to be said about your life. If they become a consistant about stand your ground and be stern about your decision. Jenn stay strong for you. I am sure you don't have the energy to be wasting on your co-workers when you have a very important surgery coming up.

No reply is the best answer but I hope you are saving emails and documenting this stuff. If they keep it up they will have crossed the line from opinionated to harrassment. CYA

Tell them its non of their DAMN BUSINESS! I hate co-workers!

They are just jealous and it only will get worse. Silence is golden, but I would keep copies of the harassment like Pam said...cya.

When did your personal medical decisions become their business? I'm sorry they know you're having the surgery and much sorrier that you have to put up with their insensitivity, but I agree, it is not worth responding to. (Other than cursing to yourself)

Also - yes - keep the e-mails and if there is one more incident, I would take it to the boss and insist that they be made to stop. This is a very private matter!

Knowing my workplace, I told NO ONE and I don't plan on telling anyone when I go back in September, either. I really don't feel like educating an entire high school staff in why WLS is the only solution for me. Most of them don't really care about me anyway, they just want to argue and be a pain in the rear. I'll bet that is the case with these guys too - they aren't really expressing personal concern, just hoping to get a rise out of you. Jerks...

And their facts, as you well know, are totally off. The only stat that matters is the one of your surgeon's. Humph. I'm indignant for you!:mad:

But you'll do great! No worries!!;):D

This is harassment. They have no right to say the things they are saying. I would talk to your boss about this. Plus from what you told me on the phone you didn't even "come out" to your co-workers. Your boss leaked it or something. That in its self is wrong as well. I would be pissed. This is the last thing you need to deal with only a few days away from WLS

I did google it and I did find something about a 1 in 50 death rate. I also found articles where the death rate was 1-2000, 1-1000, 1-200 and 1-100. They all very on the doctor.

Here is one thing I found.

http://gastricbypass.netfirms.com/wlsstats.htm

Further more we have a lot of people on this board. Have we had anyone die that has been a member, went in and didn't come back? I am curious to know that

Our Dr. has done something like 2000 surgeries...lost one patient and that was because the guy went home and ate pizza...came back to the hospital for emergency surgery on his pouch and died of a heart attack. To me that means our Dr. has a 0/2000 standing.

While not a member of this board, I did have a friend die about 5 years ago. He was (just a guess) b/t 400-500 lbs he had blood clot after leaving the hospital. While it was sad that he passed, he would have passed had he not had the surgery.

While not a member of this board, I did have a friend die about 5 years ago. He was (just a guess) b/t 400-500 lbs he had blood clot after leaving the hospital. While it was sad that he passed, he would have passed had he not had the surgery.

I am very sad to hear about your lost friend. His story does prove that no matter what someone who is at 400 or ablove already has health risks even though he did pass at least he did not go without a fight.

I just tell, Thank you for being concerned but I have done my research and I am very well informed of the risks of the surgery and the risk of NOT having the surgery and living an obese life. I am thankful for your continued support in this matter as I know i sure will need my friends and family to help me during this trying time and then smile big :-)

what can they say then???

You can say "kiss my big fat A$$ now cuz after surgery it's just going to get smaller every day". I'm not saying you have a big fat a$$...I'm just saying you could say this!!

ROFL (passing Cindy a Valium) hehehe You crack me up. You and I think alot alike. I have to cover my mouth with my hand or things come out that shouldn't sometimes. I guess you could say I have a fire inside me that sometimes blazes up.

I can not say for sure but they may really be concerned for yu, but I still opt for the silence is golden.

If anything thing if they confront you say thanks I'll think about what you said and move on back to work.

I chose not to tell my co-workers prior because we had a People magazine laying in the lunch room when Al roker 1st had his done. The comments where so ignorant and rude, I figured they would not understand and I did not want to deal with that.

when I came back and the egg was hatched, what were they gonna do. All have been supportive and some a lil' jealous!

I love it!

rain

I'm sorry. This is exactly the reason non of the jackasses I work with were told anything. I wouldn't hang out with these people, with a couple exceptions, unless they paid me. And never would I subject myself to their opinions about my personal life. But you probably shouldn't listen to me. I am a dark and sour bastard :) Just blow them off. It's the habit of people to try and make themselves feel big by telling other people how to live their life.

I just tell, Thank you for being concerned but I have done my research and I am very well informed of the risks of the surgery and the risk of NOT having the surgery and living an obese life. I am thankful for your continued support in this matter as I know i sure will need my friends and family to help me during this trying time and then smile big :-)

I had a discussion with those two men who were less than supportive and when all was said and done, they offered to buy me lunch..... The funny thing was, they offered to go to an Italian place and as I looked at the to-go menu, there wasn't a thing on there I could have as I'm 3 days till surgery. No pasta, beef, bread or ...? I declined to have lunch and just ask that they keep any of negativity to themselves. I also asked that there not be too many more questions. If I feel like sharing my progress with them I would voulenteer the info upon my return. I gave my mom a list of people to call after I'm out of surgery. The office was one of them, but she's only to speak with the receptionist who will relay the info to my staff. To my surprise one of them was pretty emotional to see me leave today. Maybe (like most men) he was having a difficult time expressing his true concern, and it came across negative. No offense to any of the men here who are more than sensative to this situation.

One chapter closed...I'm sure as I turn the page the plot will thicken.

Hi Jenn;

I'm just curious, who is your doctor? What medical center do you go to?

The reason I ask is I had my surgeon consultation last Thursday, in Windomar at the Kaiser medical building across from the medical center - and think I saw you there. I met with Dr. Suh. Very nice and patient man.

patrick

Hi Jenn;

The reason I ask is I had my surgeon consultation last Thursday, in Windomar at the Kaiser medical building across from the medical center - and think I saw you there. I met with Dr. Suh. Very nice and patient man.

patrick

Hi Pat,

I am jumping in here cuz I know her Dr... It is Dr. Suh and he is WONDERFUL!!! I have my 6 month follow up with him on 9/5/06!!

Hi Jenn;

patrick

Patrick,

That's "THE MAN". Yes, I was there on Thursday afternoon. I 'm sorry if I didn't recognize you. Good luck with your journey.

No need to apologize, it's not like you've had anything on your mind! :D

Besides, it took me a few minutes to realize who you were, and by that time you were gone.

Good luck and God Bless on your surgery tomorrow - I know it will go well!

Can't wait to hear from you - on the losing side!

Peace and Blessings

Patrick

Considering Tomorrow is your BIG day...I guess they will just eat their FEET in about 6 months!! HA!

I figure, it's your body...you have to walk around with it, dress it, be comfortable with it...live life in it. THEY DON'T!! Therefore their words are nothing but background noise that can be ignored. The WLS choice is a personal one and no one...not even your sig. other can tell you what will or will not happen to you as a result of this. That is why...YOUR opinion is the only one that MATTERS! Everything else, positive or negative...is just NOISE!!

Best Wishes for tomorrow!!! We are holding a spot for you on the bench!