Shadow6

When is it time for surgery?

I am 4 years post bypass. I just had a baby a year ago. I was originally 357lbs, after I had my son I went down to 209, nursing and hormones has put me back up to 234.The last time I talked to a PS, they said they wouldn't talk to me until I was done with having babies. I'm done. Now my doctor wants me to wait, but I'm having problems with the skin rubbing and getting sores, especially in the armpit area and lower abs from the apron. What can you suggest? Go talk to a PS now, or try to get my weight back down to post pregnancy weight?

Dear Shadow6,

Thanks for your question.

The best time to see a plastic surgeon in consultation to plan your surgical reconstruction is once you are at your personal goal weight and your weight has been stable for at least a few months.

This means after you are done losing your excess weight and after you have finished having kids (and the associated weight fluctuations).

The plastic surgeon will then be best able to discuss your surgical options after he/she is able to assess your skin elasticity and pannus size.

These options might change if you continue to lose weight after your consultation and might change the proposed surgical plan.

Hope that helps!

Sincerely,

Abhay Gupta, MD, FACS.