Bigfuzzy

Long Journey

35 posts in this topic

I guess it will be a long journey before I have surgery.

Started in 8-14, did all my test & clearances. Called insurance company

4 or 5 times asking what they required & was told each time that all I

needed was a note from pcp. Every thing was done & submitted in December

for ins approval. That's when they told me I needed a 6 month diet plan

completed. I had ask about it during each call & was told no each time I

called. 2 of the times I called I talked to the same person(Kevin). When

I told them this I was told it didn't matter. Lesson learned, get it in

writing. I have started diet & actually losing a few pounds (20,so far)

I am 4 months in to diet. This is where the next delay comes, I took a job

with the county & I have to build sick & vacation time. From what the doctor

says I will need to build enough for 4 to 6 weeks off. I am using this time

to research & to try & lose more weight.

Thanks for listening.

leigha and Cindypraying like this

Congrats on starting your journey, the time will be here soon enough.

I guess it will be a long journey before I have surgery.

Started in 8-14, did all my test & clearances. Called insurance company

4 or 5 times asking what they required & was told each time that all I

needed was a note from pcp. Every thing was done & submitted in December

for ins approval. That's when they told me I needed a 6 month diet plan

completed. I had ask about it during each call & was told no each time I

called. 2 of the times I called I talked to the same person(Kevin). When

I told them this I was told it didn't matter. Lesson learned, get it in

writing. I have started diet & actually losing a few pounds (20,so far)

I am 4 months in to diet. This is where the next delay comes, I took a job

with the county & I have to build sick & vacation time. From what the doctor

says I will need to build enough for 4 to 6 weeks off. I am using this time

to research & to try & lose more weight.

Thanks for listening.

Taking time is a blessing. It will give you the opportunity to learn more about the surgery and better prepare post op. I suggest training yourself to drink a lot of water (minimum 4 bottles daily) and sip sip sip. Don't gulp. Learn to eat your food slow (chew chew chew), and don't eat and drink at the same time. Start logging your food! I know a lot of people on this forum use MFP. I think logging my food has been a great contributor to my success. Weigh your food and portion control now. All of this will make post op so much easier. Good luck!

Snippets and Cindypraying like this

I'm up and walking around and able to do minor things around the house at 5 days post-op but I'm so glad that classes aren't starting for another month!  Congrats on your starting your journey!  Mine started 4 years ago, and I know all about insurance people not knowing their heads from their arses but once you get all of THAT crap sorted out then it does seem to move more smoothly.

went to my pcp for the 5th visit on the 6 month diet on 7/29. I had gained 7lbs, up until this point I had lost 24lbs. Felt bad about it, but the doctor was happy with it, he told me it was good to show the loss & gains in the 6 month diet. I was wanting to lose weight before surgery to make it easier .

My 6 month diet is over, I lost 20 lbs on it. Now to build enough time at work to get through

surgery & recovery. 1 thing that worries me is that my wife had bypass surgery back in the mid

80s. she lost weight(down to around 120) but she had no support & no real direction as to what

to do. she has gained all her weight back & more. she drinks diet coke & no water. she drinks

when she eats, eats potato chips & other junk food, & smokes a pack a day, no exercise. she tells

me that she will do my plan or try to. the problem is I don't think she will do it. I don't drink

carbonated drinks, mostly I drink water & unsweetened tea, don't eat chips & cut back on junk

food. I am not doing this for my vanity, I am mostly doing to get off the medicine. how much

chance do you think I have of making this work? people have told me this is easier than quitting

smoking which I did in 2007.

Cindypraying likes this

You and tmcgee are both married to a woman who is post-bypass but not following her program. If anyone can give you thoughts on this item, Tom can.

If she's willing to recommit to working her pouch, see if she'll stop the soft drinks now then do the 5 day pouch test, starting the day you get home from the hospital. I haven't done it, but many here report that it helps detox from all the junk and begin feeling restriction from the pouch again. It provides a nice reset point to start over.

http://5daypouchtest.com/

ETA: While the smoking is unhealthy, I'd cross that bridge later. She's years-out from her surgery, so it's not like she's healing, and you're years-out from quitting, so you're established in your habits. I would, however, be extra diligent to avoid second-hand smoke while you're healing.

Edited by WendyH

I have talked to her about stopping the carbonated drinks & some other things like the chips.

doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon, she keeps telling me it will happen when I have

surgery. I show I have already started by stopping the drinks & sweet tea & trying to cut back

on carbs. no effect on her!

well thanks to our gov. my health care is changing. I am retired from a company that provided my insurance plan, with a small payment from me(186.00) monthly. they sent me a letter the middle of October that it was all going away & I would get a reimbursement plan, but no insurance. they are providing a company to help get everything started. have looked over all the plans & guess what is on the last page of all the polices? all the policies state on the last page that bariatric surgery is not covered. I called surgeon middle of November & told them that it had to happen this year or it probably wouldn't happen, that I was losing ins. coverage. surgeon assured me last week all the paper work had been submitted. when I called insurance company all I got was the run around & double talk. wife called them yesterday(12/4) & talked with them, this was after being on the phone for over an hour setting up our new ins policy, so she wasn't in a good mood to say the least. I had to leave to go to my part time job so I didn't get the end of it, before I got to work I got a call from surgeons office telling me I had a tentative date of 12/28. seams wife got the insurance rep(she had the surgery a year ago, that was helpful) & the surgeons office on the phone together & hopefully it was all worked out. I have to call surgeon to make appointment to get all info for preop diet & all the paper work. hopefully every thing is a go now. will make an excellent Christmas present. hope having this done will bring my wife around & get her back on track. 

ps. wish you would change to a better term than losers bench. never did like setting on the losers bench or being called loser  

Cindypraying likes this

Sounds like a bad news, good news story. I'm glad you were already deep into the process so that getting your surgery before the end of the year is a possibility. Keep us posted.

As for loser's bench, yeah, that one seems a little weird to me, but my husband has seen me undergo massive weight loss in the past and now again, and he sometimes calls me a loser. He says it with such sweetness and affection that it has become an occasional term of endearment.

big fuzzy

use the next few weeks to practice new skills you will need after surgery.

try out some protein shakes and powders.

stock up on SF Popsicles a SF jello. They count as fluids.

also make sure you are weaned off of caffeine. If you don't you will have a monster withdrawal headache that is beastly.

best...

Tuesday(12/15) it is preop day at the hospital, then to see surgeon. nurse that called

me to set this up told me to eat good this weekend, diet starts Tuesday. will be told Tuesday

what diet consist of. 

surgery to be on 12/28 at 10 am 

princessblog likes this

congrats. You will do great.

have to be at hospital at 6:30 on 12/28.

Dr. started me on pre op liquid diet on 12/22.

when I asked him about cutting back on meds, that I didn't want to crash

he told me to cut back slowly & to eat something if it got too low.

so far liquid diet is not as bad as I thought it would be.

I have had to eat a small amount last night. I have cut back more on meds

today. it is raining here & diet would be easier if I could work outside.

MarktheNerd likes this

Good Luck tomorrow! Thinking of you!

thanks, see you on the other side

hello all, 5 days out of surgery. surgery took about 1.5 to 2 hrs. they had a hard time waking me up or so they told me.

sore throat from tube, was the worst pain I felt, the pain meds didn't get rid of it. the good side of it was it got me to eating 

ice chips. walked 1 time the 1st day, then I was walking 3 to 4 times a day & night next 2 days. they kept me 1 extra day.

so far I am down to 3 meds, omeprazole & 1 or 2 blood pressure pills. I have to check blood pressure & if it is 120 or less

I don't take but 1. I do hate the hospital beds now, to short & bend at the wrong place, I think they did this to get me up &

walking. have not felt nauseous or thrown up. stopped pain meds  day after I came home. suppose to drink 1 oz every 15 mins

40+ oz a day. I am drinking isopure  drinks(20oz water & 40 grams protein) had 1 yesterday, with about 30 more oz of water &

broth. it concerns me at times that I can & do drink more than the 1 oz. I do feel soreness inside not really pain, but enough to know

its there. all of it seams to be going better than expected, glad to be on the other side. not on the losers bench but on the

other side & getting my life back.

Amber76bailey likes this

went for 1st post surgery checkup today(1/7) down to 306, 22 pounds since Christmas day. I have not had any problems

yet.(knock on wood) for the past 5 days have been getting 60+ oz of liquid & 80 grams protein. he did surprise me that the next appointment

is in a month, when he told me this I ask about coffee & he told me I could start now, just make sure I got my liquid in. I also ask

tomato soup & anything else with acid in it, he told me it was like anything else if my stomach would tolerate it, it was ok.

he told he wasn't worried about the caffeine or acid in food & drink. he told me to go slow & only add 1 thing at a time.

he has been doing this for years & I guess he knows.  

LeeC likes this

Hi Bigfuzzy - I'm glad to hear you're doing well. You're off to a great start!

In some of your earlier posts, you noted your concern that your wife may not join you in some healthy changes to your lifestyle. I was curious to see how it's going.

I had similar pre-op concerns about my husband. My husband has not had WLS but he has several weight related health issues. I was worried because I knew from my own research that patients who return to environments where family continue to engage in eating behaviors that are contraindicated were at a greater risk of regaining their weight. Prior to my surgery, my husband and I actually received some couples counseling around the topic and it really helped. The surgery was 100% my decision and it was unfair for me to try to impose my decision on him. However, it was important to me that he understand my concerns for his health and we understand how our eating behaviors, good or bad, can impact each other. He has been extremely supportive and I'm happy to report that my surgery has had a very positive affect on his health as well as my own.

WendyH likes this

2 weeks & 4 days since surgery, have not experienced any pain or any problems drinking or eating. nothing I have had so far has bothered

me very much. sometime when I have something it feels like I don't want anything for a while, happens with liquid also. its like there's a lump or something, no pain just a weird feeling. anything that I have tried to eat has went down ok. have not had any nausea since surgery & very

little pain since hospital. a bumpy either on a rough road or in my side by side through the field makes me have the weird feeling also.

the weird feeling doesn't hurt it just says to quit doing it or to ease up.

my wife is mostly on board, but I think she wants to push me to the next level to quick.

anything I have tried to eat seams ok, but I do chew it up well before swallowing.

most days I get between 50 & 70 oz of liquid & 50 to 80 gr of protein 

So glad surgery went well.  I encourage you to stick with the prescribed eating plan to maintain your health.  Next eating level will come soon enough.

some what concerned. I am all most 4 weeks out of surgery & have lost 43lbs. Nothing has bothered me(except mashed up steak & tuna salad)

no pain just a weird feeling. didn't happen the 1st time I ate them it was the second or 3rd time. every thing else has been ok. as long as I keep it to around a 1/2 cup every thing seams ok. I have even eaten sausage patty, mashed & well chewed. it almost seams too easy. no pain since I came home, I only took 1 dose of pain meds when I came home(wife's driving). seams taste hasn't changed for the most part.

seams everything is going too well?

43 pounds incredible weight loss in just 4 weeks so congrats on that. There are many people on this forum who experienced little pain after surgery so that is not as unusual as you may think. If you're not tracking your what you're eating, I'd suggest doing that just ensure that you are keeping within your doctor's/nutritionist eating plan.

2 months out & down 61lbs. I haven't dumped or thrown up & almost no pain(knock on wood) my wife is concerned that I haven't

thrown up. I think I am eating to much at times, its hard to get my hands around eating small amounts. I have eaten various things,

no sweets, & nothing has bothered me. I am able to get my liquid & protein in each day, I usually drink most of the protein. will have blood work done next for the 1st time.

gave a cousin of mine the lantus solo star I had left over & had to answer a lot of questions about how I had gotten off of it.

it is very expensive medicine & didn't want it to go to waste. I had to tell her about cutting out the carbs & eating protein to

lose weight. I have told no one & the only people that know is my wife(of course she had to tell her sisters who have been

sworn to not tell anyone) it was hard explaining all this to my cousin without telling about the surgery. my health doesn't

fall into their need to know.