ferbstoesser

Four years out and gaining weight

17 posts in this topic

Hello, I got my lapband in October of 2011 and it was the best thing I ever did for myself.  I got married last July and began gaining weight before the wedding due to stress.  I lost a little when I moved (left my job and family to be with my husband for his job) but then I gained SO MUCH weight back.  I am almost to where I was before surgery!!  After losing 75 pounds or so, this is horrible.  It's my fault, I have been eating junk and "slider" foods, and have been baking and cooking too much.  Anyway, I am trying to lose it all again but I just wanted to post for moral support.  Anyone else gain a bunch of weight back after lap band surgery?

Welcome to T-T ferbstoesser.

We've had a lot of people deal with weight regain after WLS and something that can help is the 5 Day Pouch Test

It'll help you get back on track and detox you from all the junk in your diet.

Welcome and its great to have you here.

Many encounter this from what I've seen as the further out we move from surgery the harder things get.  I'm not nearly as far out as you and it is a trend I'm already seeing at 16 months.  My recommendation is also to do the 5 day pouch test Cinwa give the link to.  Also, get back to basics and back on the plan you started with by pulling out the junk, focusing on protein, fluids and keeping your carbs low.  Start logging your food in something like MyFitnessPal and make sure you meet your calorie, protein, etc. goals each day.

duffman27, Raeme and BrigidD like this

Thanks everyone! Going to try this. I've heard of it but never thought to look into it. I just hate myself for gaining so much weight back. My feet hurt again, and I just feel terrible, and then being depressed makes me eat more. Anyway, gotta get back on the bandwagon and then I'll feel better.

BrigidD and PapaG like this

I don't know much about the band, but would it make sense to see if an adjustment might help?

Thanks everyone! Going to try this. I've heard of it but never thought to look into it. I just hate myself for gaining so much weight back. My feet hurt again, and I just feel terrible, and then being depressed makes me eat more. Anyway, gotta get back on the bandwagon and then I'll feel better.

There you go, you know what to do.  Basics are best.

Hi there, I had the LAp Band placed 2009 and I had the same experience with gaining weight. Then I began to have other complications. The band can not provide the measure of restriction that comes with the sleeve and basically you can keep eating "above" the band to the pount of stretching out the tissue ABOVE it, then over time the food drains slowly into your still normal sized stomach.

For me, it got to the point that it had to come out. I revised to the sleeve. Same idea, just more effective. I most I ever really lost with the band was 20 pounds. The reason it came out was that I ended up with Barrets Syndrome. The gastric fluid was in my throat all the time trying to digest food that was backed up almost to my neck.

Go back to your surgeon and have an open and honest discussion, there are solutions.

My surgeon says he takes many lap bands out and he only puts 1 or 2 in a year.

KarensThin likes this

Yep!!!!! Just my personal experience, they are awful

Good luck to you whatever route you decide to take.

Hi!  I had my band placed 4/2006.  I lost 86lbs within the first year and a half.  Then my father-in-law was diagnosed with a brain tumor and the stress of that, driving hours to the hospital multiple times a week, my band was strangling me, literally.  I walked around with what felt like a noose around my neck.  I was living on liquids and whatever else would go down, which was usually the bad stuff.  Good food never wanted to go past my collarbone area, kind of stuck right there.

He died in 2009 and the stress level never diminished because we had his bills and home to contend with.  Finally in 2010 I went back to the doctor and said I couldn't do this anymore and he removed all my fill.  By then I gained most of the lost weight back.  I went from then til Nov 2013 without a fill and still got food stuck, slimed etc.  I gained more weight.  I went back and weighed close to the weight I was when I started.  Back to square 1.

He has given me 2 small fills, since Nov 13 I've fought getting off 50lbs.  It has not been easy.  I exercise about 45 mins 5x a week, I'm starting to lift weights at least 2-3 days a week.  I've changed my eating considerably and it still won't come off.  I'm discouraged.  I'm looking at revising because I have so much trouble eating.  I still do a lot of sliming.

So I've been in your shoes.  It's so easy to get derailed.  For me, I just had to say enough is enough...I looked like heck and wanted to get back to feeling better about myself.  At this rate though I'm going to be dead before I get close to goal!  Not to say bad things about the band here....just telling my story.  Good luck to you!!!

My surgeon told me that he's taking out more than he's putting in.  Most of the women banded when I was have had revisions.

Hi!  I had my band placed 4/2006.  I lost 86lbs within the first year and a half.

At this rate though I'm going to be dead before I get close to goal!  Not to say bad things about the band here....just telling my story.  Good luck to you!!!

YEP,  that is the conclusion I reached and had the EVIL band removed 5/2013 and have been happy ever since.   There is NO need to go through all of the hoops and hurdles to get approved to choose the WRONG WLS.    

I had the band and I can certainly say, it's EVIL and less than effective.   only caused problems for me,  diabetes got worse, everything got worse and I gained weight.  E-V-I-L

Hi Ferbs,

I originally wanted to go in for a lap band.  Apparently what you describe is very common with the lap band. My surgeon said he hasn't placed one in over two years and he doesn't recommend it.  I did my own research and have read time and time again that the lap band is kind of phasing out as it hasn't proven the test of time.  You're not alone. I hope you're able to reach your goals. I agree that speaking with your surgeon may help you.  Congrats on keeping up the fight and losing 50lb.  You should be proud of your tenacity, this is no easy task!! good luck! xo

I started gaining some back as well and that's how I found out that my band was starting to erode into my stomach. Not saying you have the same thing but make sure you have everything looked out to rule anything out and GOOD LUCK :)

Glad you are here to get the support you need to take good care of yourself. You've had lots of changes in your life, good and bad, and these are times when we need extra support to keep with our goals.

Best,

Patricia

Hi,

How have you been doing these past few months?  I hope thriving!  

Best,

Patricia