tabby1121

Duodenal switch

Who had duodenal switch recently and how is the weight loss so far?

Edited by cinwa

My surgeon will not do that surgery. I chose the sleeve.

I noticed your doctor, Dr Sharp. He was on my "shirt list" of recommended doctors. He came highly recommended, but in the end I went with a doctor whom I had seen "in action" with surgery care.

Are you from NC

Yes.

Center of the state - I looked at doctors in Raleigh, Greensboro, winston, & Concord. I went with Bauman in Concord. He had done an emergency surgery on my hubby & I was impressed with his care.

I had the DS in Topeka, KS in March 2014. I have lost 179 pounds.

Hi, I had DS surgery at Rex with Dr. Ng and Dr. Sharp 8/12/2015. So far I have lost 23lbs since surgery.

I had the DS June 22, 2016. At preop I was at 339 lbs. I went for my 2 1/2 month check up today. I weighed 288! I am very pleased with the weight loss!

My surgery is on Monday, Nov. 7, 2016.  Traditional, not modified DS (duodenal switch)  I'll be on here a lot looking for support and guidance.  I did my first vlog on youtube, so I have that set up with my ipad. A lot of my angst is about the first week.  Too many questions that folks don't talk about.  Driving?  When did you drive? I have a stick-shift, so will that make a difference?  Walking your dog?  I have a big dog, 65 lbs, when will that be safe?  Since my insurance put me 75 miles from home, if I am released from the hospital, do I have my friend drive me home or do I spend another night in the hotel?  Any feedback welcome. DSM

My stay in the hospital was 4 days.  I was on pain medications, so I could not drive. Also my hospital required someone to pick me up. I was able to drive during the second week of surgery. 

I will be starting day 20 post surgery tomorrow. Everyday gets better. Remember to get up and exercise or walk through out the day. Don't be surprised if your taste changes. Not sure if this is with everyone, but my bathrooom time changed for a while. It does get regular again.

i hope everything goes as plans as will be waiting to here your results and progress.

On 11/5/2016 at 11:44 PM, DuodenalSwitchMan said:

My surgery is on Monday, Nov. 7, 2016.  Traditional, not modified DS (duodenal switch)  I'll be on here a lot looking for support and guidance.  I did my first vlog on youtube, so I have that set up with my ipad. A lot of my angst is about the first week.  Too many questions that folks don't talk about.  Driving?  When did you drive? I have a stick-shift, so will that make a difference?  Walking your dog?  I have a big dog, 65 lbs, when will that be safe?  Since my insurance put me 75 miles from home, if I am released from the hospital, do I have my friend drive me home or do I spend another night in the hotel?  Any feedback welcome. DSM

To answer your specific questions;

Driving: You should be fine to drive once you're free of narcotic pain medications. Driving a stick shift may be slightly more fatiguing but shouldn't be a problem.

Walking the dog: Depends on the dog. If well behaved on lead, size is irrelevant. Your dog may be quite appreciative of the frequent, short walks that you will find beneficial. You need to figure out a way to scoop. I was okay bending right away, but some people find it challenging.

When to drive home: I'd go home right away. Urgent medical care is available anywhere if needed, and an hour and a half can be traversed again if necessary.

Your surgery was yesterday. Welcome to the loser's bench. Let us know how you're doing.

On 11/8/2016 at 7:47 PM, WendyH said:

To answer your specific questions;

Driving: You should be fine to drive once you're free of narcotic pain medications. Driving a stick shift may be slightly more fatiguing but shouldn't be a problem.

Walking the dog: Depends on the dog. If well behaved on lead, size is irrelevant. Your dog may be quite appreciative of the frequent, short walks that you will find beneficial. You need to figure out a way to scoop. I was okay bending right away, but some people find it challenging.

When to drive home: I'd go home right away. Urgent medical care is available anywhere if needed, and an hour and a half can be traversed again if necessary.

Your surgery was yesterday. Welcome to the loser's bench. Let us know how you're doing.

Hi...Yes, I ended up spending two nights, which I hear is normal for a DS.  I hadn't passed gas, so much pain and then 2:00pm, as my friend was picking me up, I had a bowel movement (more like green fairy dust) and a little gas.  I was walking and walking the first day, all night and the next morning to get the gas out out me, it was so painful.

I saw my dog when I came back into town, through my white picket fence, and then to my friend's house for four days.  I just didn't want to risk me tripping over her or her jumping on me, in bed, because I hadn't let her out.

The drive home was TERRIBLE! 2 hours through LA to Palm Springs.  I have a manual Kia Soul and my friends drove it...and the back seat is very bumpy, compared to the front.  TG for the Toridol.  I can't even imagine.

Today is my 2 week post-op.  I am down 23lbs since my surgery weigh in.  I went to pureed foods, so I tried Malt-o-Meal, because the iron is so high.  1/2 cup water, 1/4 skim milk, 2 Tablespoons of the cream of wheat, 1 teaspoon real butter, and a package of Better Stevia and about 1/2 teaspoon organic Maple Syrup drizzled on top.  My tummy liked it, no growling and so far, 5 hours later, no gas.  The only thing I should have done was add a scoop of unflavored protein.  

I've been doing having one egg omelets every morning, with great success.  1 egg, salt, pepper, splash of skim milk (or water), whipped for a min or two and then poured into hot fry pan with a teaspoon of butter melted.  My stainless steel fry pan is totally non-stick with that little bit of butter.  Don't touch the egg. Go wash the mixing dish and fork, come back and tilt the pan, if it moves, move it around to get all the butter, take a spatula, look under the edge, if it is getting some golden brown color, start folding it up.  Also, NEVER cook more than two eggs at a time this way.  They won't turn out.  Mine looks like a burrito.  I keep my organic eggs out on the counter, too, so they don't cool the pan. Also, clean up is a breeze, paper towel, wipe out pan.  That's it.  Bon Appetite!  Since I had the Malt-o-meal, I think I'll have an egg for dinner!

I'm glad things are going well for you. Yeah, immediate post-op can be a little rough, and it sounds like you're progressing nicely and having good luck with food.

As for riding in a Kia, that doesn't sound like fun. On two different occasions I looked at a Kia, because it had all the features I wanted and nice styling at a decent price. The ride and handling knocked it out of the running both times.