FitGator

Keeping it Confidential - Help me sort it out?

Hi Everyone - As a new member I am delighted to be part of this group. I have read some incredible stories and would like to get your help in dealing with this issue.

What do you tell people about the surgery? I want to keep it confidential as I am very private with my personal issues. I dont mean my family or close friends, but other people who will definately will notice the change and will undoubtedly be curious.

Please help me clarify this in my mind - is there a stigma about WLS?

For whatever reason, I have it my mind that I want to keep this surgery private from those people not close to me...I wanted to ask your input on how you have addressed this?

Thanks,

Soon to be a FIT GATOR :confused:

If you want to keep it to family and friends then tell NO ONE...I mena NO ONE at work. Once one person knows...no matter how much you trust them, everyone will know.

I personally told everyone... Yep, there was some stigma...I ignored it. If the person wasn't educated on WLS and they were interested I would try to explain it. But all in all I mostly had support.

Good luck in your journey and welcome to the forum.

Before surgery I told only a select few but since that time I do tell those who ask about how I lost weight that I had WLS. Everyone I've told has been very supportive but that may be because I work in the health care field and those people know how important this was for me to do for my health. The only other people that have asked have been from my church and they too have been extremely supportive.

It is a really personal decision and you have to do what is most comfortable for you. When people ask you can just tell them that you are watching what you eat and exercise. That will be the truth. :)

Everyone is different, and it's really up to you, how when and where you tell people. It's no one's business what 'changes' you are going through, as long as you are happy and healthy. Personally, I tell anyone and everyone :D But that is ok with me, I don't care what people think about the stigma of WLS, I'm proud of myself and the work I am doing and what I am going through. Also, this way if I start to get sick or cry, they don't think I'm a complete basket case! :cool: (I'm still going through the high emotions)

Jennifer

You should do what make you happy. Life is too short not to. I personally told every one that asked. There is always going to be negative and positive feed back. Don

i only tell people i feel like telling if your a good over wt friend of mines i may tell you but all others i just say i diet and exercise alot to lost wt cause its really no ones business that you had the wls.

I just wrote this on another thread, but I told NO ONE at work before hand (one of my friends does work in one of my schools, so she knew, but I know she hasn't told anyone and won't and I only told her so that she would understand why I couldn't be in her wedding) and I don't plan to tell anyone when I get back. I teach in a high school and a middle school and I swear, the teachers are worse than the kids! And there are hundreds of them, so I'm keeping my mouth shut! None of their business.

If anyone asks how I'm losing weight I'll say, "Eating 1000 calories a day and working out 7 days a week" which is true. None of their business!

That said, I did tell all the trainers at my gym, but it is in a different city than my schools and they are professionals who I am pretty sure know not to run their mouths about their clients to others.

This is your private medical information - you don't have to tell anyone at all or you can tell everyone you want to. For me, I teach children all day long and give them an excellent education but I'll be darned if I'm going to spend my off periods teaching adults about WLS!! And that is what I would be doing..Listening to all their stupid "friend of a friend of a friend who died" type of bologna...Who needs it!!

Let me add here with some emphasis - I do NOT nor have I ever cared what other people think of me, or my WLS. But I see these people every day and do not need to spend my precious time educating them.

I was skeptical on telling my family. I was very open with those I work with as I spend SO much time with them. People in my small town found out very quickly (3000 people). I work in a very public job, thus they think everyone's business is there business too. I am not embarassed that I had surgery and very thankful. If they ask, I tell them. If they are rude about it, I educate them (or try to). My family and my husbands live far away, so when we saw my husbands family, I told them...I see my mom in 2 weeks so she will find out then.

Key thing, if you don't want people to know, don't tell anyone. If I see people in town that know me and they comment on how good I look, I accept the compliment and if they ask how I did it, I say...with a lot of hard work...its the truth!

Lisa, have you told your mom you have been losing weight? If not, boy is she in for a shocker! LOL She will not recognize her own daughter because you are doing so great since surgery!