sln05270

Blood work

5 posts in this topic

I have a breast lift and lower body lift scheduled for July 13th. My blood work just came back and my prealbumin level was only 16. Could that jeopardize my surgery?

Hello sln05270,

Thanks for your question.

If your prealbumin level is a true test of your nutritional status then yes, that low level may affect your healing from surgery.

It would be wise to improve your nutrition prior to surgery to decrease healing complications.

Also, if you have less protein in your blood, then fluid will tend to shift out of the bloodstream and into your tissues which can result in seromas after surgery.

But prealbumin is not always an accurate indicator of nutritional status because it can be affected by a number of other factors.

Therefore, other blood tests are sometimes ordered at the same time to help interpret the prealbumin results.

I recommend you discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon to see if he/she wants to do any further testing prior to performing your surgery.

Sincerely,

Abhay Gupta, MD, FACS

Hi,I'm going thru gastric bypass preop stage just received results from labs and ecg and its abnormal it says left posterior fascicular block and incomplete right bundle branch block ,nonspecific T wave abnormality and my crp ultra sensitive is 9.9 high risk plus blood came back with issues also am I going to have a problem getting surgery?

Hello K-dog.

Thanks for your question.

There are many different possible causes for those ECG changes but combined with a very high C-reactive protein level, your surgeon will probably ask you to see a cardiologist for consultation and possible treatment prior to proceeding with your surgery.

Good luck with everything!

Sincerely,

Abhay Gupta, MD FACS.