mistysj

Sleeve-to-RNY revision support

Oh no!!!!! So glad they were able to find the problem and address it for you ASAP. Glad you are on your way to healing now. Hoping for a speedy recovery for you now :)

Hey guys, just checking in to see how everyone is doing? Is everyone feeling better after their revision's or are the symptoms still the same? 

On 6/12/2015 at 0:14 AM, Nicholepht said:

Hello guys, I am ok, I have been on the liquid diet for pre-op this week. It has been rough, it seems the reflux is worse on all liquids. 

I did not have any type of reflux or heartburn before my sleeve. I was put on a PPI a week after my sleeve surgery to prevent it and was only supposed to be on it for 6 months, but then ended up with a hiatal hernia at 3 months post op, and had surgery to fix that and have been on a PPI ever since, well 5 different ones actually. 

I am excited about this revision surgery. I saw my surgeon today, and he said I will probably lose about 20 more pounds and about 10 of those will be within the first week or two post-op. I am 167 as of today, which my surgeons goal for me was 175, and my goal was 165. As I have gotten closer to those goals the number has changed, so I am not sure what I am going to change it to now. I will see. He did say I do not have 20 pounds to lose, and he is going to start to worry if I lose more then 20. And he wants me to make sure I get my 80 to 100 grams of protein a day in even if it is in the form of shakes all day. I am thinking I need to become creative with protein powder and start adding it to everything! lol 

I have to be at the hospital at 8 am on Monday morning, and I won't be released till Wednesday sometime. I will probably not update anyone till I get home unless I take my tablet with me, but I am always scared to do that because of how out of it I am after surgery and I don't want anything stolen while in a hospital. I know sounds silly, but I have had people come in and out of my room before and me not even know it. 

I can say this, if I had to go back and start this process all over again I would have the sleeve all over again. Even with all the complications I have had. I love the success I have had with my sleeve and would not change any of it. My surgeon said my case is not common and only about 10% of sleeve patients have to be converted to RNY. I am also a special case because the upper part of my esophagus does not constrict properly. That is the wild card in all this, he knows he can fix the reflux, and the gastric emptying but he can't do anything for my esophagus and we are not sure how that is going to play in all this. Only time will tell. All I do know is we agree that surgery is not an option, my GI said that is the only way to fix it, but my bariatric surgeon and I agree it is not the way to go. So as long as it is healthy and not cancerous, then I am good. I just have to chew my food up really well and can't swallow big capsules, or tablets. So I have to be careful about all that. 

I am confident it is going to go great and everything is going to be wonderful! I can't wait till Monday.

Hello.   I know this post is a little old but i am looking for sucess stories on Sleeve to RNY and wanted to know how much weight you have lost since the revision.  My surgeon said its much slower and that I may only lose another 40lbs tops and I was a bit shocked by that and expected I could lose the other 100lbs i need to.  Any advice or info is much appreciated.

On 6/9/2015 at 5:08 AM, mistysj said:

I thought I'd start this thread for those of us who have had our sleeves revised to bypass. Our experiences are likely to be a little different and I thought it might be helpful.

I'm in my second week post-revision. I loved my sleeve for two years and it helped me lose 90 pounds. But it didn't love me back and gave me severe GERD, bile reflux, ulcers and chronic diarrhea. I'm hoping the revision will really help with these and that I won't lose too much more or have much trouble with dumping. Next week I can try mushy food!

Please join in if you have had this revision or are planning to have it.

Hey all!  I was wondering if anyone would share how much weight they have lost post by pass revision after sleeve.  I was 384 and got down to 316 with sleeve but have been stalled at that weight for 4 years. Dr recomends a revision to by-pass but said they think i will lose no more then 40lbs and that was a bit shocking to me. Any advice? thanks!