mistysj

Sleeve-to-RNY revision support

29 posts in this topic

I thought I'd start this thread for those of us who have had our sleeves revised to bypass. Our experiences are likely to be a little different and I thought it might be helpful.

I'm in my second week post-revision. I loved my sleeve for two years and it helped me lose 90 pounds. But it didn't love me back and gave me severe GERD, bile reflux, ulcers and chronic diarrhea. I'm hoping the revision will really help with these and that I won't lose too much more or have much trouble with dumping. Next week I can try mushy food!

Please join in if you have had this revision or are planning to have it.

KAE* and arukind like this

I am scheduled for revision on 6/15 due to reflux, and not digesting food any longer. It just sits in my stomach. I have not had the diarrhea problems, more the opposite, I have severe constipation. I hope this gets better after my surgery. I am so excited to have the GERD go away. That is the worst symptom of all!!  

Nicole I really hope the revision works well for both of us! I got a call from my surgeon today who asked me to be patient and wait to see what happens with my diarrhea after I'm on purée foods next week. I'm still having it once or twice a day though it's nothing like before surgery.

I'm also not regurgitating and have not had even a tiny bit of heartburn. I've always been prone to regurgitation since I was a little kid. I thought everyone could burp up the last bite at will. I think this was fixed by the hernia re-repair.

Best of luck to both of you.

PapaG do you have any of these issues?? I am scared to get the sleeve now :(

Deeraegleason likes this

If you have GERD, the sleeve is not generally recommended. My original surgeon told me that since my GERD was not severe it would not be an issue, but he ended up being wrong. If you don't have GERD, the sleeve is probably a great option. Talk over your concerns with your surgeon.

Three more days until I can start puree!!! Three more days until your surgery, Nicole! How are you feeling?

I have a few close friends around where I live that had sleeve, all had GERD going into it.  1 no longer has issues after the sleeve (hiatal hernia repair resolved it).  The other 2 had no change;  it is no better nor any worse then it was prior to the sleeve and they still take the same meds they have been taking for it for 20 years or whatever.   And then we examples like this thread where people get it so bad they have to get revised.

Its a shot in the dark, no way to even guess how it will go.  I never even had heartburn every until I got the sleeve and I did have acid issues for about 10 months and they resolved themselves.  I'm now 2 years and maybe pop a couple Tums every now and then but I haven't had issues for well over a year.  It seems like a pretty high percentage obtain acid issues after sleeve but it typically resolves in 2-4 months.

PapaG did not have any issues with acid at all after the sleeve, I recall him saying in another thread somewhere.

Edited by Jolls

I have a few close friends around where I live that had sleeve, all had GERD going into it.  1 no longer has issues after the sleeve (hiatal hernia repair resolved it).  The other 2 had no change;  it is no better nor any worse then it was prior to the sleeve and they still take the same meds they have been taking for it for 20 years or whatever.   And then we examples like this thread where people get it so bad they have to get revised.

Its a shot in the dark, no way to even guess how it will go.  I never even had heartburn every until I got the sleeve and I did have acid issues for about 10 months and they resolved themselves.  I'm now 2 years and maybe pop a couple Tums every now and then but I haven't had issues for well over a year.  It seems like a pretty high percentage obtain acid issues after sleeve but it typically resolves in 2-4 months.

PapaG did not have any issues with acid at all after the sleeve, I recall him saying in another thread somewhere.

Yeah, I was lucky and never did. Luck of the draw I suppose.

Hello guys, I am ok, I have been on the liquid diet for pre-op this week. It has been rough, it seems the reflux is worse on all liquids. 

I did not have any type of reflux or heartburn before my sleeve. I was put on a PPI a week after my sleeve surgery to prevent it and was only supposed to be on it for 6 months, but then ended up with a hiatal hernia at 3 months post op, and had surgery to fix that and have been on a PPI ever since, well 5 different ones actually. 

I am excited about this revision surgery. I saw my surgeon today, and he said I will probably lose about 20 more pounds and about 10 of those will be within the first week or two post-op. I am 167 as of today, which my surgeons goal for me was 175, and my goal was 165. As I have gotten closer to those goals the number has changed, so I am not sure what I am going to change it to now. I will see. He did say I do not have 20 pounds to lose, and he is going to start to worry if I lose more then 20. And he wants me to make sure I get my 80 to 100 grams of protein a day in even if it is in the form of shakes all day. I am thinking I need to become creative with protein powder and start adding it to everything! lol 

I have to be at the hospital at 8 am on Monday morning, and I won't be released till Wednesday sometime. I will probably not update anyone till I get home unless I take my tablet with me, but I am always scared to do that because of how out of it I am after surgery and I don't want anything stolen while in a hospital. I know sounds silly, but I have had people come in and out of my room before and me not even know it. 

I can say this, if I had to go back and start this process all over again I would have the sleeve all over again. Even with all the complications I have had. I love the success I have had with my sleeve and would not change any of it. My surgeon said my case is not common and only about 10% of sleeve patients have to be converted to RNY. I am also a special case because the upper part of my esophagus does not constrict properly. That is the wild card in all this, he knows he can fix the reflux, and the gastric emptying but he can't do anything for my esophagus and we are not sure how that is going to play in all this. Only time will tell. All I do know is we agree that surgery is not an option, my GI said that is the only way to fix it, but my bariatric surgeon and I agree it is not the way to go. So as long as it is healthy and not cancerous, then I am good. I just have to chew my food up really well and can't swallow big capsules, or tablets. So I have to be careful about all that. 

I am confident it is going to go great and everything is going to be wonderful! I can't wait till Monday.

Lexuskela and Lindy like this

Nicholepht wishing you very good luck with the surgery!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!! :)

Nicholepht wishing you very good luck with the surgery!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!! :)

Thank you, I am starting to get nervous now that it is less than 24 hours away, but my husband is being amazing. He took me to get my face waxed because I was complaining I didn't want to go into surgery looking bad. lol He also bought me a new pair of pj's and slippers, oh and of course Thor and Hulk socks! I mean how can you have surgery and recover without those?? 

I am on all liquids today, doing the clean out nastystuff. I had to drink it last night so it would work today since I have delayed gastric emptying, it takes that stuff longer to work on me. So today i'm staying in my house in my pj's not doing a darn thing but resting. I may even sleep when I can. I will update everyone when I am awake and feeling better. Have a great Sunday! 

Good luck, Nicole! I'm glad I did f have to do the bowel prep before any of my surgeries. I have had to do it a few other times and it was really a challenge after I had the sleeve.

I started the mushy phase yesterday (maybe a day early depending on how you count) with no trouble. I have not had he over-the-top restriction I remember from early with the sleeve. I can hold about half a cup already. I have not felt like I have overdone it at any point yet.

Still having the runs even though I've tried to have things with fiber like oatmeal, refried beans, and avocado. I really hope I am not stuck with this symptom for life!

Thinking of you today, Nicole!

Hello guys, I am ok just in severe pain. The pain was not this bad with the sleeve. My surgery took longer them expected because apparently I had a ton of scar tissue on my old stomach and that all had to be removed  before he convert. So instead of a 45 min surgery, it was almost 3 hours. 

The are switching from liquid hydrocodone and iv morphine for pain because neither take it away alone. I also had such bad throwing up I was put on a pherghan drip last night.  I am finally able to drink liquids, they brought me some chicken broth and it was nasty bit was good to get something besides ice chips. Hopefully I will get to go home tomorrow, my leak test was normal no leaks. 

I just wish there was a way to get the pain to be gone. I am also so bloated I look 6 months pregnant. I am hoping that is just from the gas they filled me up with. I will update you on more when I get out of the hospital. 

Thank you for all your kind words of encouragement. 

Mistysj how are you feeling? 

Oh my god I was so bloated after! It went down after about a week but was super uncomfortable. I didn't have nearly as much pain as you but I have a very high tolerance for pain. Just take it easy and try to shuffle around the ward a bit when they let you.

I'm feeling pretty good. I can finally sleep on my stomach again. Now that I am on mushy food I think that my bowels might actually be getting back to normal too!! I don't want to jinx it but fingers crossed!

I gained a couple kg from water weight after the surgery but it has come off now and I am back to pre-surgery weight. I wasn't stressed about it but it's still nice.

How are you doing now Nicole? I'm doing fine and just starting my second week of mushy / soft foods. I can't tell how the ulcers are doing but I have not felt like I had reflux.

I'm curious what your restriction is like. Honestly I feel like I have about the same capacity I did before the revision. That's actually fine with me but I expected a noticeable difference. Of course I am still eating such soft foods that they are probably mostly sliders at this point.

I'm still having diarrhea maybe a couple times a day but sometimes I'm also having somewhat normal, if soft and smelly movements. Sorry for TMI. I hope it gets better when I am on solids and getting more protein but even if not, it is loads better than before the revision!!

I go back for my follow up on the 26th and I expect to be cleared for solids. I'm not sure if he will want to do another endoscopy.

I'm still having diarrhea maybe a couple times a day but sometimes I'm also having somewhat normal, if soft and smelly movements. Sorry for TMI. I hope it gets better when I am on solids and getting more protein but even if not, it is loads better than before the revision!!

Hi Misty. I haven't had my first surgery yet, but I wonder if you're taking a probiotic. I know that anytime I've substantially changed my diet (for the better or worse), I experience some lower GI distress. This time around I was having some issues beforehand (I suspect some sensitivity to long-term proton pump inhibitor use), and those issues were more persistent after the improvement in my diet than usual.

I added probiotics to my daily vitamins, and things have improved. It could be coincidence, or it may have actually helped. You've had such persistent problems for so long that it's possible your gut bacteria has been substantially depleted. Just a thought.

Yep believe me with two years of diarrhea I tried everything including prescription strength probiotics.

I had a rough morning with pretty bad diarrhea, bad enough I called the surgeon. He told me I probably caught a little stomach bug or something did not sit right, but to give him a call if I was still having trouble tomorrow and he would give me something to make it stop. Of course by the time I talked to him I was over it.

While I had him on the phone I asked him about the length of my bypass since I hadn't gotten to ask him that. He said that it was about 100 cm which is the minimum they do, since I was already at goal. That makes me happy because I think it means I will have a little less malabsorption than I otherwise might.

I also asked him about being able to eat so much already and he assured me that it was because I am still on soft foods and the stoma doesn't hold them in. When I'm on more firm proteins I will get more restriction back. I think that's a good reminder not to rely on soft foods when we are cleared for everything.

Solid food! I'm cleared! I had some stir fry (no rice) and it was so good and went down so well. It was nice to actually feel full! Just a little more restriction than my "normal" level with the sleeve. Surgeon was happy with my progress and my weight is the same as pre-op. I go back in 3 months for another follow-up.

Solid food! I'm cleared! I had some stir fry (no rice) and it was so good and went down so well. It was nice to actually feel full! Just a little more restriction than my "normal" level with the sleeve. Surgeon was happy with my progress and my weight is the same as pre-op. I go back in 3 months for another follow-up.

I remember having my first solid food, it was glorious.  Congrats.

Hello guys,

Sorry I haven't responded to any messages. I have had a really rough time this surgery. I am finally home back in Houston. We had to stay in San Antonio for a week after surgery to be cleared by my surgeon to drive back to Houston. I am doing OK, was cleared for soft foods and I am struggling. Don't want to eat and when I do it hurts. Not like before, but like my pouch is so small and it does not stretch, not even a little. Water seems to be by best friend right now. I'm still on paid meds, and that sucks. I also developed a hematoma under my large incision and that's why it's so hard and lumpy. It looks awful, purple, yellow, black and blue. I'm a rainbow!! Haha

So I'm just relaxing on my couch and not doing much. My husband has been amazing and has been taking very good care of me. I won't go back to work till July 6the, which will be 3 weeks post-op. Lets hope I'm ready.

Sounds perfect. Glad to hear your recovery is going so well.

Glad to hear you made it home, sorry it has been a bit of a rough road.

Sorry guys, I have been MIA for awhile. I am back in the hospital and hAve been since Saturday July 4the.

I woke up throwing up brown, green and yellow liquid. I was also being over in the fetal position crying.

I called my surgeon and he said to get the the ER now. I did and they immediately started iv and pain meds

And nausea meds. Did a ct scan and I had a small intestinal blockage. I went into emergency surgery Sunday

Morning and my surgeon said he had never in all his years seen a blockage like this. My small intestine where it connects

To the large intestine at the new y, that was rerouted. As it was healing it was healing shut. Which is why I was throwing up bile

Because what I was drinking or eating had no where to go. I am still in the hospital, I developed a fever after surgery and my iron

Levels we're really low. He is only allowing me ice chips to suck on. So I've been without food since to technically Friday

Because I threw up everything I atr Saturday. Which was maybe 5 bites anyways. I am really hoping to go home Friday. He wants me to be able to hold down liquids and pass gas. I am finally passing gas, so I'm assuming he will let me have liquids tomorrow.

Thank you all for your support, and I hope everyone is doing great!