Bigfuzzy

Thoughts on liver

13 posts in this topic

what are your thoughts on eating chicken & beef liver?

Haven't really thought about it, use to love liver when I was kid though.

Chicken (and likely beef) liver are very healthy, with loads of protein. I believe high in cholesterol, but not an issue if cholesterol isn't a problem for you.

That said, I can't personally stomach the idea. My husband loves to eat chicken livers. Ugh. I do have very fond memories of my grandma's chopped liver though :)

They say your tastes change after surgery and I kept an open mind and have tried things I knew I used to hate....liver being one of them.  Nope, I still really hate it!

If you like it though, all the more power to you!  Quite a healthy bit of food that is.

Chicken (and likely beef) liver are very healthy, with loads of protein. I believe high in cholesterol, but not an issue if cholesterol isn't a problem for you.

That said, I can't personally stomach the idea. My husband loves to eat chicken livers. Ugh. I do have very fond memories of my grandma's chopped liver though :)

Ah, chopped liver, my mothers staple.  She would put mounds of it on crackers.

GAviv likes this

Liver is a great butter delivery mechanism as pate! I actually really like it as a snack. By the way the dietary guidelines have finally been updated to acknowledge that cholesterol you eat doesn't have an effect on your blood cholesterol level.

GAviv likes this

Oh man I have been wanting some chicken liver or beef liver, but....I don't know how to cook them!!  I should look into that for the *next* time my husband is on a work related trip.  He won't even fathom the idea of touching them.  They don't even sell them here (precooked) as far as I've found. I know fried would be an indulgence, but I could peel off that breading and blot the oil off them!  

They are an excellent source of iron too.

Oh man I have been wanting some chicken liver or beef liver, but....I don't know how to cook them!!  I should look into that for the *next* time my husband is on a work related trip.  He won't even fathom the idea of touching them.  They don't even sell them here (precooked) as far as I've found. I know fried would be an indulgence, but I could peel off that breading and blot the oil off them!  

They are an excellent source of iron too.

My husband either grills or broils them.

Eluna likes this

Mmmm. Liver. Either beef liver and onions or fried chicken livers. Yum. Probably shouldn't eat fried, but given the frequency at which I I eat chicken liver, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I remember years ago when a coworker had a housewarming party, she was talking about the menu beforehand, and bases on the items she had mentioned, I asked if she was serving pâté, and she said no. I said something along the lines of "too bad; I adore pâté", and in the end she served some. I made it a point to see if she added it to the menu on my suggestion and let her know how good it was and how much I appreciated her serving it. She told me it was surprisingly simple to make.

That was over 20 years ago, and I haven't had pâté since.

It's high in iron. But fried being a no no not sure if it would be tender any other way. It ain't going in my mouth!!!

I like I I aII I had Gastric Bypass in July of 2012 I have had chicken livers before but last July when I had chicken livers I got sick  and wound up in the hospital.

Channing

5 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

I like I I aII I had Gastric Bypass in July of 2012 I have had chicken livers before but last July when I had chicken livers I got sick  and wound up in the hospital.

Could it have been that the chicken livers were not cooked through?  

Poultry livers carry a high risk of campylobacter and may remain a source of infection if they are not cooked sufficiently which I know goes against the grain because most people prefer their liver(s) on the pink side.

Did your hospital ever tell you the cause?

The Hospital never told me the cause.