Does anyone have regrets about having the sleeve? Why? Would you do it again if you knew what you know now? I'm pre op and trying to make sure this is what I want since its not reversible. And info is greatly appreciated.

No regrets for me, down 91 lbs since 12/07/2014. Would do again in a heartbeat. Wished I would have done it sooner.

As others will and have said, I only regret not having it sooner.  I'm thrilled with the outcomes of my surgery and would do it again in a heartbeat.

GERD is really the only thing there is to be concerned with the sleeve -  but in most cases it either resolves itself with time, is well handled by meds or is never an issue. 

My only regret - and this wouldn't have mattered which procedure I had - is I worked on the head stuff more then I did.  The sleeve is awesome, I lost 200 lbs -  my brain downright sucks though and its a daily/hourly battle not to derail and sabatoge myself.  Brains are stupid!

Yes, I did the EVIL Band first and wasted 4,years. Should have gone to Sleeve or bypass. That BAND was a Huge, Big regret.

Friends don't let friends get the Evil Band

Edited by KarensTurn

I'm about 15 months post sleeve and down about 80 pounds, I have about 5 more pounds to get to my original goal.   I would definitely do it again in a heartbeat.   As others have said I wish I would have done it much sooner!    The one piece of advice I do have is you absolutely have to get a handle on the mental part of why you overeat to begin with.    I was a stress eater and am in a very stressful job so I had to deal with that.   It's better,  but still a daily battle!  

No regrets here!  I regret that it wasn't available to me sooner, but I started the process as soon as my insurance plan added coverage for it.  The part about not being reversible scared me at first (when I was researching) but then I came to gain comfort from that;  I've regained huge amounts of lost weight multiple times over the years so I don't WANT it to be reversible.  I also liked that it preserves normal function of the GI system.

I have lost 85 pounds since 12/17/14 but more importantly I feel great physically and emotionally.

I also have no regrets , just wish I would have doen this sooner.

I went about 75% through the process about 6 years ago and was NOT ready at the time.....

I am 88 pounds down since the start of the process...and could not be happier....

Absolutely NO regrets.  Like most - I only wish I did this sooner!!

My GF just had this done 5 weeks ago.  She has diabetes, and other health issues.  Her recovery has been rough - but when I asked her the other day if she had regrets, her quick response was "NO!".  Every day she's feeling better, and well on her way to her new 'normal'!  :)

I had lost weight too many times to count and a lot of weight, but could never maintain it.  I don't regret the surgery I would not be where I am today without it.  However, sometimes I berate myself for not being able to do it alone and think I was crazy for having the surgery.  This is just my crazy coming out to play.  My one piece of advice for newbies is do not waist your honeymoon phrase as it will never be this easy to lose.  You might even think you are cured, but if you are a food addict you won't be.  As others have said this is the time to do the head work.  I would start now before surgery.  No regrets.   Daily commitment will become part of your life.  

No regrets at all.   I am 11 months post surgery and down 102 lbs, and 137 overall.   As others have said only regrets I have is I didn't do it sooner.   My health has improved dramatically.  No Diabetes, and all my numbers look great.   No more Sleep Apnea.

Edited by k2m3mull

This is great to hear! Thank you guys. I am just beginning my journey to a thinner healthier me! I'm kind of nervous and excited at the same time! Thanks for your replies.

Of course there are lows to match the ups.

I often long to have that full feeling, of being completely satiated. That was my comfort zone, my way of dealing (or not dealing) with things, and I miss having that crutch.

I wish I'd understood the extent of the emotional ups and downs associated with the above statement.

I sometimes have moments of bitterness because the joy of eating has left me. It used to be one of my biggest joys, and now it's ... blah. I've heard that this might return at some point.

I get frustrated with food being the center of everything -- what should I eat, how much protein is in that? how many carbs? did I drink enough water today? did I chew enough? how much does that weigh? where is 1/4 cup measuring cup again? To alleviate most of this, I eat almost exactly the same thing every day, with minor adjustments.

All of these are minor twinges in the grand scheme of things, and cheap prices to pay for the successes associated with my journey. It isn't all roses and sunshine though, it's hard work. I'm not regretful that I didn't do this sooner, I was not in a place in my life where I was strong enough to deal with the lifestyle changes involved. Things happened exactly as they were supposed to happen.

Edited by Sleevarilla

I'm not regretful that I didn't do this sooner, I was not in a place in my life where I was strong enough to deal with the lifestyle changes involved. Things happened exactly as they were supposed to happen.

I'm glad to see you say this. I've seen person after person say their only regret is they didn't have the surgery sooner. I haven't had my surgery yet, but I am on exactly the timeline I belong on. I needed the experience of losing and regaining 160 lbs three times to fully appreciate the physical and mental health that I'll regain. I needed to maintain my loss for a year before regaining it that last time to gain the humility that I need more than grit and determination to make this lifelong change. I needed for the standards of bariatric care to reach the point where sleeve gastrectomy is a mainstream procedure, and because of my age when I met my husband, I needed to have my childbearing done, because taking a break from trying would have meant not completing my family.

I am right where I need to be right when I need to be here.

Edited by WendyH

Not one regret here.  First of all you really need to understand that the sleeve is only a TOOL it's how you use it that will be the determining factor in your weight loss.  Your head has to be in the game way before surgery.  One of the biggest things that has helped me is to ALWAYS have something to eat readly avaiable at each stage of your recovery.  Also do the surgery for the right reasons.  If your doing this for someone else's pleasure then you will not be as successful, you need to do it for yourself!

Good luck! 

I wouldn't say I'm an emotional eater, I've been a size 9-10 around 130-150 lbs most of my life. After I had my son I was around 200 lbs I lost that weight pretty easily and kept it off for about 6 years. I then had to have a complete hysterectomy because of a fiberoid in my uterus and cysts on my ovaries. After that happened I quickly gained gained up to 229 lbs wearing a size 22-24. At 5'2" tall I was so big I was miserable. So one day while driving my son to school I decided it was time to walk and try to lose this extra weight. I stopped at a local park and began walking. I was so out of shape I couldnt walk but maybe 2 laps which wasn't even 1/2 mile. But I kept going back every morning and trying to go a little further. It worked soon I was up to 3 miles in the morning and 3 miles in the evening also I began doing some light weight lifting at home in between that. The weight started coming off I was so excited. I got down to 196 lbs. This took 4 years. I maintained that weight for maybe a year then it started creeping back on little by little a couple ounces here a lb there no matter how much I cut down eating and added exercising it kept creeping back on. I was so depressed I couldn't figure out where I was going wrong. So I began going to a weight loss clinic. I started taking phentermine it gave me chest pains after a couple days. So I tried lipotronic injections for 4 months. Still this weight kept going away and coming back. I used a calorie counter on my phone. Went by there diet exactly as they told me to do. After 4 months the Dr there told me I was wasting my money I needed to see a MD and find out why I can't lose the weight. So for the past 3 years if struggled between 210-215 lbs. I have the determination and I can eat only 2 small meals a day and I'm fine. But the weight just won't come off. That's how the sleeve surgery was mentioned to me. At my last Dr visit my bmi was 38.4 and I'm borderline diabetic, cholesterol was high and bp was a little high. I'm just a little nervous of surgery to make this happen. Having an 11 yr old there's always that little what if? ( something goes wrong) in the back of my mind. What if it doesn't work? The MD and surgeon assures me it will be fine and it will work. I keep looking for reassurance. Quiet frankly I hate having to wait and worry so long before this can be done. Once I'm out of surgery I think everything will be fine. I keep talking myself out of it because of that what if? That lingers in my head.

Their diet* sorry I'm new to this and don't know how to edit.

I wouldn't say I'm an emotional eater, I've been a size 9-10 around 130-150 lbs most of my life. After I had my son I was around 200 lbs I lost that weight pretty easily and kept it off for about 6 years. I then had to have a complete hysterectomy because of a fiberoid in my uterus and cysts on my ovaries. After that happened I quickly gained gained up to 229 lbs wearing a size 22-24. At 5'2" tall I was so big I was miserable. So one day while driving my son to school I decided it was time to walk and try to lose this extra weight. I stopped at a local park and began walking. I was so out of shape I couldnt walk but maybe 2 laps which wasn't even 1/2 mile. But I kept going back every morning and trying to go a little further. It worked soon I was up to 3 miles in the morning and 3 miles in the evening also I began doing some light weight lifting at home in between that. The weight started coming off I was so excited. I got down to 196 lbs. This took 4 years. I maintained that weight for maybe a year then it started creeping back on little by little a couple ounces here a lb there no matter how much I cut down eating and added exercising it kept creeping back on. I was so depressed I couldn't figure out where I was going wrong. So I began going to a weight loss clinic. I started taking phentermine it gave me chest pains after a couple days. So I tried lipotronic injections for 4 months. Still this weight kept going away and coming back. I used a calorie counter on my phone. Went by there diet exactly as they told me to do. After 4 months the Dr there told me I was wasting my money I needed to see a MD and find out why I can't lose the weight. So for the past 3 years if struggled between 210-215 lbs. I have the determination and I can eat only 2 small meals a day and I'm fine. But the weight just won't come off. That's how the sleeve surgery was mentioned to me. At my last Dr visit my bmi was 38.4 and I'm borderline diabetic, cholesterol was high and bp was a little high. I'm just a little nervous of surgery to make this happen. Having an 11 yr old there's always that little what if? ( something goes wrong) in the back of my mind. What if it doesn't work? The MD and surgeon assures me it will be fine and it will work. I keep looking for reassurance. Quiet frankly I hate having to wait and worry so long before this can be done. Once I'm out of surgery I think everything will be fine. I keep talking myself out of it because of that what if? That lingers in my head.

I think most if not all of us have had the same concerns. We've all had fears that we will be the one person the surgery won't work for, the one failure. Unfortunately, our history of struggles with weight loss only reinforce these feelings. Here is the reality, if you stick to the surgery and follow your plan you will lose and if you make the changes permanent and part of your life the loss will be life long.

No regrets.

I should have done this sooner, but I was not in the right place to deal with the changes.

Things are good now.

I had severe complications and ended up with a month hospital stay. I could not take anything by mouth for 6 weeks and the first 6 weeks was non stop puking. I ended with with a leak and had to go back in for them to seal the leak. But after all that and having 6 drains put in to drain fluid and getting fed using TPN through an IV i have 0 regrets. I would do it all over again even if i knew I would have the same complications.  I am a happier person now than what I was.

Regret I didn't do it sooner.  Best thing I ever did for myself. 

While I wish I had done it sooner, my head wasn't in the right place.  After some counseling, now it is and while I am only 3 months out this is really good for me.   Doesn't run my life but keeps me on track.  

While I wish I had done it sooner, my head wasn't in the right place. After some counseling, now it is and while I am only 3 months out this is really good for me. Doesn't run my life but keeps me on track.

I wish I had been in the right space to do it sooner. Chickened out of GB 3 times. Once sleeve became available and I went to my preop I went into a zen like state and knew it was the right decision for me at the perfect time.

No regrets.

I wish I had been in the right space to do it sooner. Chickened out of GB 3 times. Once sleeve became available and I went to my preop I went into a zen like state and knew it was the right decision for me at the perfect time.

No regrets.

I forgot to mention in my post that I too had been to my surgeon 10 years before for a consultation.  I left in tears and was clearly not ready.  I don't regret not doing it then.  It takes what it takes. I am now 3 years post op and feel more grounded emotionally, which is really the most challenging for me. 

Edited by Kim M

I forgot to mention in my post that I too had been to my surgeon 10 years before for a consultation.  I left in tears and was clearly not ready.  I don't regret not doing it then.  It takes what it takes. I am now 3 years post op and feel more grounded emotionally, which is really the most challenging for me.

Great example of needing to be in the right place for the surgery to really do its part. Everyone considering the surgery should take Kim's post to heart.