Tri-Delta4Life

Waiting...

8 posts in this topic

Anyone counting down to the date you can start trying to get pregnant? I know different programs have different suggested wait times post-op. My program is 1 year.

After trying actively (and non-actively) for years, I was diagnosed with PCOS. My ob/gyn didn't want to try any fertility treatments until I lost a significant amount of weight - which lead me to WLS. I had no other co-morbidities, so infertility was my main factor in deciding on surgery. I turn 30 in August - so time is ticking!

I've got 11 months of waiting to go! Just curious who else is in the same situation.

~Dani*Bear~ and MottTheHoople like this

One of the biggest reasons i decided to have surgery was to have children. My husband and I had tried for about 3 years before I was diagnosed with PCOs and more or less told to lose weight and I would increase my ability to conceive.

After surgery (and before) I told myself that I would start working w my OB and surgeon at the 12 month mark (which will be this September) to start trying. Instead, I ended up getting pregnant at the end of March (unexpectedly). I freaked out at first, then after a few doctor visits came to the conclusion that things work out the way they do for a reason and everything will be fine.

I have only lost about ten pounds between the end of March and now but I think I'll take that if the trade off is being able to start my family. So, yes, I completely understand where you are coming from here.

GAviv and ~Dani*Bear~ like this

Glad to know I'm not alone!

We're you using b/c when you got pregnant? I'm still debating what to use. I can't take estrogen based b/c because of a previous dvt/PE. After my dvt/PE, I took a depo shot while I was on blood thinners and it took 6 months for my period to come back - so I'm not willing to do that again & risk that it'll take even longer to get regular! Guess I'll just go with condoms or see about the mini-pill.

I was taking Junel, however, I had forgotten to refill my RX so I was waiting for my next cycle to end so I could start it up again. We weren't using any type of barrier methods or anything, so that's all on me. I guess I had gotten so used to trying and failing that I didn't think it would be possible for it to happen this one very short period of time. Wrong. I had to take 6 different types of pregnancy tests to convince myself that I was actually pregnant. It wasn't until my first sonogram that it actually felt like it was real. 

I'm not sure what options there are for non-estrogen based contraceptives, but I'm sure your ob/gyn will be able to help you make your best decision. Contraceptives used to be limited because my ob/gyn wouldn't prescribe anything that was less reliable for individuals who were obese. 

teachingaimee likes this

Thanks for sharing! Anyone else out the "waiting"?

I feel like it's baby season on Facebook. Everytime I check my newsfeed, there are more pregnancy announcements, gender reveals, big gorgeous baby bumps, and adorable baby pics! It makes me so excited!!

I was literally talking to my husband about this tonight. We are both on track to have surgery (me in Sept & him in late October or early November). I turned 27 yesterday and my baby fever has spiked BIG time. My head says wait until after surgery, I'll be healthier and have less of a chance for complications. BUT... My heart doesn't want to wait 12 months from surgery.

So to answer your question, I think I'm about 15 months from starting to "try" having babies.

The thing that finally pushed me to have surgery was babies. I have a 13 yr old, and my husband has a 4 year old from his previous marriage, and we knew from the minute we got serious we both wanted more kids ASAP. We tried for over 1 year when we finally convinced my PCP to order blood work to test my fertility. My tests came back perfect, actually very fertile, so we did the next step and had my hubby tested. Turns out he has a lowered count so we would most likely need IVF which my insurnace only covers if done within the medical center I work at, and they only do fertility treatments on women with a BMI under 40.

My WLS program says 12-18 months (preferably 18) before pregnancy.....it stinks. That said we already had our consultation with the fertility doc, as soon as I was below 40 BMI we were there lol. And basically he said as soon as my weight stabilizes for 6 months I am good to go, but reviewing my nutritional intake and labs he also told us that we would not have a problem if we were able to conceive ourselves before then! We have now stopped using and birth control and are just going with it (of course my surgeon does not know this).

My official timeline is 12 more months......but we will see!

Hi i am in the middle of trying to get my wls but i am 36 now so i think after the 1 yr mark when lost most of my weight then i will try and get pregnant my surgeons say 2 yrs but i am to old to be waiting two yrs lol the way i see it after 1 yr you have lost most of your weight and have steadyed of by then x