tomd59

drinking during meals

Hi all,

I'm struggling with not drinking while eating or for 60 minutes after the meal.  I know the reason for it but some food just makes me damn thirsty.  Any tips or suggesstions or is it just suck it up and push through.

Thanks

Don't eat things that are not moist  :)   I use cottage cheese as a side for things that require a "wet the whistle" or citrus slices to suck on.

When I can, I brush my teeth after I eat and that helps my mouth not feel so dry. Even when I can't brush, I sometimes go to the bathroom and swish.

Its hard to adjust to not eating during meals but you will adapt.  I would bet that eventually they shorten it to 30 minutes before and after which helps.  Jolls and Dunndeal's advice is good.  Focus on moist foods, it helps.  My sleeve still doesn't like dry things.  Salsa can also be your friend.

My doctor told me that if I really needed to drink... I should just take tiny sips... just enough to wet my whistle. Not enough to wash food through your system. 

I still have a problem with this at 3 1/2 months out. Hard habit to break.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  A big part of it is not thirst or dry food, it's a habit for the last 47 years and something to continue to work on.

Have a good Saturday.

Once I was cleared for fresh fruit and vegetables, I started finishing my meal with a few grapes, couple of pieces of orange or satsuma, slice or two of apple or even a small piece of cheese and some celery.

That really helps.

Once I was cleared for fresh fruit and vegetables, I started finishing my meal with a few grapes, couple of pieces of orange or satsuma, slice or two of apple or even a small piece of cheese and some celery.

That really helps.

Now THIS is a great idea!!! I have no idea why I didn't think of that. THANK YOU for suggesting that. Funny thing.. I always crave fruit after a meal anyway.... 

I drink during meals once in awhile, don't have a problem with it, but it's an occasional occurance, maybe twice a month. If you need liquids, you'd go for them, yes.

Now THIS is a great idea!!! I have no idea why I didn't think of that. THANK YOU for suggesting that. Funny thing.. I always crave fruit after a meal anyway.... 

I forgot to add melon to that .... especially watermelon.

If you really need something, suck on a sugar free candy. It does help,

I order water with lemon and at the end of the meal suck on the lemon slice. if im dumb enough to go to a buffet, I have some grapes.

I always drank with meals and didn't think it would be possible to change but this was all part of the pre-surgery diet I had to follow in England, so by the time I had my surgery (2 days ago) it was second nature

I always drank with meals and didn't think it would be possible to change but this was all part of the pre-surgery diet I had to follow in England, so by the time I had my surgery (2 days ago) it was second nature

The no drinking with meals (or for 30 minutes before and after) is universal in the bariatric world.

I confess, I do not follow the 30 minutes before thing - I give it maybe 15 minutes and I waterload.  This not something that new bariatric patients should try.

A lot of people further out use it because it gives a feeling of fullness that lasts 15-25 but I've never had any sensation of hunger - I do it because I like it.

IMPORTANT!  Water loading should not take the place of drinking fluids regularly.  It's done in addition, not in place of.

Ugh!  This is the reason I cannot eat crawfish anymore.  They are so spicy, I have to drink with them, therefore, I gave them up.  Whoever heard of eating crawfish without a beer?

I don't think I could ever drink with a meal again. If fluid were in my sleeve there wouldn't be room for the precious food I need to get in. It's a matter of priorities I suppose. I have had to muscle through spicy meals, but I love spice so it's something I'm willing to work through.