Photo
- - - - -

**News Flash** Do Not Take Phentermine Befroe Surgery!!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 CHRISTY

CHRISTY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 05:41 AM

In an attempt to do better with the "liver shrinking diet", I foolishly took phentermine several days this last week. Then I realized yesterday that I neglected to include this in my pre-op admissions interview on Wednesday. So I call them and ask them if this is OK. The nurse immediatly flips out and says NO!! She told me to call my surgeon right away and see what they wanted to do. ( My surgery is scheduled for Monday @ 7 am.) I call the surgeon's office to be reminded that my surgeon is out of the office this week but they will talk to his partner who also performs this surgery. While waiting for the return call, I decided to search the topic on the web. ( Phentermine and Anesthesia ) What I found was alarming!! Something about this drug reacts with some of the drugs that are used during anesthesia and can cause fatal complications. Now let me say that there doesn't seem to be a tremendous amount out there regarding this issue but what is seems to say that it takes six days for phentermine (or fenflouramine- same drug family) to be completely eliminated from the system, so the precaution is to Stop taking it at least 1 week prior to being put to sleep!!
Considering that I am being treated for morbid obesity and am being prepared for bariatric surgery, Shouldn't someone have, at the least, asked me if I was on this drug! I mean considering how often it is being prescribed in the US I feel like this should be a standard question to all surgery candidates.
The short of it is that the surgeon said that it shouldn't affect the surgery on Monday so it's still on, but this doesn't do a thing for my already sky-high apprehension. Please ask your surgeon about this if your currently or recently been taking this drug. Not just before this kind of surgery but any that requires general anesthesia!!
Scheduled LAP RNY 07/31/2006
330/324/134
beginning/current/GOAL

Dr John Touliatos, B'ham,Al

#2 Bypassingme619

Bypassingme619

200HundredGone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,362 posts
  • LocationSunny California
  • Surgeon:Dr. Mueller
  • Hospital:The Sharp Experience
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:420
  • Current Weight:211
  • Goal Weight:180
  • Surgery Date:07/14/2005
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:02 AM

Christy you also have to remember there are a ton of medications that MO patients could be on, it is the patients responsibility to include that information when you fill out that form that ask you what medications you are on. I mean honestly if a doctor sat in a room with every patient naming every drug in the book before they came across a drug you were taking, no patients would ever get seen. I use to take Phentramine and that is one drug you don't forget you have either taken or are taking. But I am glad you are still a go for your big day. I would advise not taking the Phentramine ever again, mainly after surgery.

Follow me on Instagram: @200poundsgone
Heigest Weight 420
413 (7/14/2005310 (2006 Post-Partum)
322 (2008 Post-Partum)
338(2009,Yes it can happen to you too.)
289 (2/2010-Has been about 16 years Since I saw a 2 in front of all the other#s)
260(10/2011 I Hate to toot My Own Horn but TOOT TOOT ;0))
204- 216 Pounds GONE Forever.. Still dropping
me603_zpsa70c90a1.jpg me502_zps3ac49b3b.jpg

#3 veroniquetalk

veroniquetalk

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts
  • Surgeon:Howard Lecerer

Posted 29 July 2006 - 02:15 PM

I got a list of drugs not to take the last month before surgery and phentermine was one of them. I would say that if your surgeon thinks you will be ok on Monday then you should be ok.
Veronica
Lap 7/6/05
215/155/123
start/goal/current At NORMAL weight!
BMI 39.32/21.8

#4 Gina in NY

Gina in NY

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationNYC
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:288
  • Goal Weight:125
  • Surgery Date:06/20/2006

Posted 29 July 2006 - 04:10 PM

The short of it is that the surgeon said that it shouldn't affect the surgery on Monday so it's still on, but this doesn't do a thing for my already sky-high apprehension.

You have to do what YOU feel comfortable with. If you trust this surgeon, then you'll be fine, but if you feel like he's blowing you off, then talk to the actual surgeon who is doing your surgery. You do seem very stressed out - but really, it isn't THAT bad. There are risks, but you know them, thought the decision through carefully and you accepted that this surgery is worth those risks, so don't drive yourself crazy.

By the way, make sure you take chapstick, a pillow and your toothbrush with you to the hospital. They are the three most useful items you could need.

Now breathe deeply and read a distracting novel - something steamy to keep your attention!
TT Gym rat club member #5

#5 Duckie

Duckie

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,675 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Donald Czerniach
  • Hospital:UMass Memorial Med. Center
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.7

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:13 PM

Christy you also have to remember there are a ton of medications that MO patients could be on, it is the patients responsibility to include that information when you fill out that form that ask you what medications you are on. I mean honestly if a doctor sat in a room with every patient naming every drug in the book before they came across a drug you were taking, no patients would ever get seen. I use to take Phentramine and that is one drug you don't forget you have either taken or are taking. But I am glad you are still a go for your big day. I would advise not taking the Phentramine ever again, mainly after surgery.

I agree. YOU have to tell them what you are taking!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Official TT Bear member: DUCKIEBEAR
FOUNDER OF THE DUCKSACK CLUB TT Gym Rat # 83
Lap RNY 3/31/06
Start of program/preop/lowest/current/goal
273/256/132.5/134/145----- 5'8"
http://www.myspace.com/duckiern
"Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it."
"If it has tires or testicles, it's gonna give you trouble!"

#6 Jeanie

Jeanie

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,240 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. C
  • Surgery Date:07/07/2004

Posted 30 July 2006 - 09:51 AM

In an attempt to do better with the "liver shrinking diet", I foolishly took phentermine several days this last week. Then I realized yesterday that I neglected to include this in my pre-op admissions interview on Wednesday. So I call them and ask them if this is OK. The nurse immediatly flips out and says NO!! She told me to call my surgeon right away and see what they wanted to do. ( My surgery is scheduled for Monday @ 7 am.) I call the surgeon's office to be reminded that my surgeon is out of the office this week but they will talk to his partner who also performs this surgery. While waiting for the return call, I decided to search the topic on the web. ( Phentermine and Anesthesia ) What I found was alarming!! Something about this drug reacts with some of the drugs that are used during anesthesia and can cause fatal complications. Now let me say that there doesn't seem to be a tremendous amount out there regarding this issue but what is seems to say that it takes six days for phentermine (or fenflouramine- same drug family) to be completely eliminated from the system, so the precaution is to Stop taking it at least 1 week prior to being put to sleep!!
Considering that I am being treated for morbid obesity and am being prepared for bariatric surgery, Shouldn't someone have, at the least, asked me if I was on this drug! I mean considering how often it is being prescribed in the US I feel like this should be a standard question to all surgery candidates.
The short of it is that the surgeon said that it shouldn't affect the surgery on Monday so it's still on, but this doesn't do a thing for my already sky-high apprehension. Please ask your surgeon about this if your currently or recently been taking this drug. Not just before this kind of surgery but any that requires general anesthesia!!

I'm glad that you are able to still have the surgery as planned. Chalk it up to a learning experience. I do have a question for you though! Where the heck did you find phenetermine??? I didn't think that they sold it anymore.:confused:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lap Dr. Callery

July 7, 2004

Savanna Annmarie was born on 10/14/2008 Morgan Jeanie was born 4/4/12

#7 sierrab

sierrab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr peter Billing puget sound sergical center

Posted 30 July 2006 - 04:24 PM

is phentermien phen phen cuz if it is i thought they banned it
Christina
337/335/140
high current goal
pcp july 18 done!
starting 6 months super med diet july 19
month 1 done -5
month 2 done -2
month 3 done -2
month 4 done +2:rolleyes:
month 5 done -2
month 6 done -2
Finished diet jan 29 07 :D lost a total of 11 pou switched sergeons to a closer one
sleep study for apnea august 24th 2007 DONE
surgery hopefully sometime in the next millenium

#8 Bypassingme619

Bypassingme619

200HundredGone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 04:51 PM

is phentermien phen phen cuz if it is i thought they banned it

Its not Fen Phen but it made partly from that drug.

Heigest Weight 420
322 (2008 Post-Partum)
289 (2/2010-Has been about 16 years Since I saw a 2 in front of all the other#s)

#9 Grauntie

Grauntie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:25 AM

A good reminder to everyone. WE are responsbile for telling our Doctors what we are taking. There are thousands of drugs on the market making it impossible to ask each patient if they are taking certain drugs. I dont take too many Rx's now, however, I still keep a list of all the meds I do take (yes, including all our supplements) :)
Karen
Open RNY May 2000
290/160

#10 SweetSouthern

SweetSouthern

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,042 posts
  • LocationAlabama
  • Start Weight:357
  • Current Weight:153
  • Surgery Date:06/07/2006

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:44 AM

It is the combination of fenfluramine (Pondimin) and phentermine that is dangerous and makes up the notorious fen-phen. The FDA never approved to take them together, but approved them to be taken separately. After more research, the FDA requested the manufacturer to remove Redux (dexfenfluramine) and Pondimin (fenfluramine) from the market, which it did, because it was proven to likely cause heart valve problems. Phentermine was not withdrawn, as it was not one that caused the problem.
Official AlabamaSlammer Bear

Surgery - June 7, 2006 - 357 lbs

Now - Happy and 153 lbs! (204-lb weight loss)

Trina

#11 BlondeCAgirl

BlondeCAgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Start Weight:265
  • Current Weight:130
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):19.2

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:44 AM

In an attempt to do better with the "liver shrinking diet", I foolishly took phentermine several days this last week...... I decided to search the topic on the web. ( Phentermine and Anesthesia ) What I found was alarming!! Something about this drug reacts with some of the drugs that are used during anesthesia and can cause fatal complications. Now let me say that there doesn't seem to be a tremendous amount out there regarding this issue but what is seems to say that it takes six days for phentermine (or fenflouramine- same drug family) to be completely eliminated from the system, so the precaution is to Stop taking it at least 1 week prior to being put to sleep!!

I'm so glad that you posted this. It's good news for everyone who thinks they can "sneak" one past the Dr. Even if it's an innocent mistake. I was weighed in at my Dr's office about 2 months ago and since them have tried to maintain a resonable "diet" of on and off liver shrinking foods (no startch). But I ended up gainin about 7-10 pounds in thelast 2 months. I took some of my Trim Spa at the beginning of those two months to help fight the munchies and such. I however, did talk to my Dr about it (after taking it for 2 weeks). I'm glad I did, because he told me to not take one more for the same reason you described. Also, the blood work that he'll have me do a week before surgery test for other things....He's even doing a urine test. This tells if you smoke or drink I guess or are doing anything else that could compromise your health during the surgery. I never smoked and won't drink the week before my surgery...but I'm glad that he does this. Afterall it's for my own safety.
~ Jenn ~
Murrieta, CA
265/130/140
PreOp/Current/Goal
Current BMI 21 ~ Normal
:) Lap RNY - August 14, 2006 :)

"As you leave behind all that has been, you are on the way to all that can be."

#12 Suebee

Suebee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:10 AM

I take phentermine now, because I am ALWAYS hungry... woke up from surgery that way, and it hasn't stopped.

Does someone have reasons not to take it POST-op? (Just wondering, because my surgeon's PA is the one prescribing it ... and checks me every month). I'm just wondering if there's something I should be "looking for", or cautious of with taking it?

Thanks.....
Lap RNY 11/9/05

Consult/Preop/Current/Goal
411/375/186/150

"For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord... plans for GOOD, and NOT for evil... to give you a FUTURE, and a HOPE... " Jeremiah 29:11

Over 200 lbs gone FOREVER!!!!

#13 SweetSouthern

SweetSouthern

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,042 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 05 August 2006 - 02:25 PM

The only problem I had while taking it was altered moods and became really short tempered and almost mean sometimes, which was after I had been on it for about 4 or 5 months. My family said my whole personality changed and begin to ask me to stop taking it, so I did and then was back to normal. So, please be aware if you are having this reaction to the medication. I did actually lose 75 pounds in the 7 months I was on it. Too bad I gained double of the weight back! ECK!

Trina

#14 Gbrew

Gbrew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:52 PM

I have heard that you have to fast the week before surgery only drink water 4wks prior? is that true? I am actually in the pre-infant stages of getting this going. I still have to go thru my doctor who is really leary on this surgery. But the surgeon that does this type of surgery is actually doing surgery on me for fattytumor/ hernia. so I am wondering if I still need his approval. maybe I should just ask the :) surgeon how to go about it.:)

#15 Gina in NY

Gina in NY

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationNYC
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:288
  • Goal Weight:125
  • Surgery Date:06/20/2006

Posted 12 August 2006 - 08:29 PM

I have heard that you have to fast the week before surgery only drink water 4wks prior? is that true? I am actually in the pre-infant stages of getting this going. I still have to go thru my doctor who is really leary on this surgery. But the surgeon that does this type of surgery is actually doing surgery on me for fattytumor/ hernia. so I am wondering if I still need his approval. maybe I should just ask the :) surgeon how to go about it.:)

Never heard of that...I had a 24 hour liquid diet and then nothing after midnight the night before surgery.

There is a lot of misinformation out there - ask your surgeon for the real story.

Good luck - it is a big decision.
TT Gym rat club member #5

#16 SweetSouthern

SweetSouthern

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,042 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 12 August 2006 - 08:35 PM

Ionly drink water 4wks prior? is that true?

I think it's safe to say that is someone talking that don't know a hill of beans about what they are talking about. If you are on nothing but water four weeks prior, where will any nutrients come from? You will be weak before even having surgery and your body will already be in starvation mode. If someone has the ability to do this, why the heck do they have to have surgery? Ya know the old saying........"you cannot live on bread alone"....well "your body cannot live on water alone". Feel free to search this site to find the different food plans we all had to endure before surgery. Good luck on your journey.

Trina

#17 Bypassingme619

Bypassingme619

200HundredGone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:27 AM

The only problem I had while taking it was altered moods and became really short tempered and almost mean sometimes, which was after I had been on it for about 4 or 5 months. My family said my whole personality changed and begin to ask me to stop taking it, so I did and then was back to normal. So, please be aware if you are having this reaction to the medication. I did actually lose 75 pounds in the 7 months I was on it. Too bad I gained double of the weight back! ECK!

Trina that was one of my biggest problems with the phentramine was the mood alterations. One minute I would be all chipper and percky but once I was coming down off it I wasn't somebody you wanted to be around. It had its pros and cons. Did the tip of your nose stay dry? I lost about 55 pounds in 5 months but like you I began to gain it all back.

Heigest Weight 420
322 (2008 Post-Partum)

#18 SweetSouthern

SweetSouthern

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,042 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:18 AM

Did the tip of your nose stay dry?

I felt like I was parched all day every day. That medication dried me out to the point of misery. I would have problems talking sometimes from my mouth being so dry if I didn't have something to drink between sentences and my lips were so dry, they would peel and hurt. I don't remember my nose being that dry, but surely if my mouth was then other parts of my body were. I do remember losing hair by the handfuls when I lost that much weight so fast too. I was on high protein, low carb diet then also and NEVER cheated until the day I stopped it.

Trina

#19 Bypassingme619

Bypassingme619

200HundredGone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 03:12 PM

I felt like I was parched all day every day. That medication dried me out to the point of misery. I would have problems talking sometimes from my mouth being so dry if I didn't have something to drink between sentences and my lips were so dry, they would peel and hurt. I don't remember my nose being that dry, but surely if my mouth was then other parts of my body were. I do remember losing hair by the handfuls when I lost that much weight so fast too. I was on high protein, low carb diet then also and NEVER cheated until the day I stopped it.

O I could never get enuff to drink sometimes. I had to keep Carmex with me at all times. I felt like no matter how much I drank I was just as thristy after drinking a ton of water. Just thinking about it is making my mouth dry....lol

Heigest Weight 420
322 (2008 Post-Partum)

#20 Suebee

Suebee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:57 PM

My EYES are dry, too ... I was told it was from the phentermine. It's like I blink and blink, but they stay "fuzzy", because they're so dry. So I carry "tears" with me everywhere.

I hadn't thought about my nose dryness being from the phentermine... I attributed that to my bipap machine and oxygen at night. Hmmmmm

And moody? LOL How would I know? I'm always a biotch........ :D ;)
Lap RNY 11/9/05

Consult/Preop/Current/Goal
411/375/186/150

"For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord... plans for GOOD, and NOT for evil... to give you a FUTURE, and a HOPE... " Jeremiah 29:11

Over 200 lbs gone FOREVER!!!!