teacherlauren

Sugar Free advice/thoughts

28 posts in this topic

Hi all! I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to respond to all of my questions. I have found TT to be so helpful!  :wub: Please don't take offense to my post. We're all doing the best we can... I'm just genuinely trying to find some like-minded individuals.

Ok, part of the reason I want to have this surgery is to make better food choices that are healthy for my body. Ironically, I know what to eat is healthy... but I just don't alway choose to do it... this is obviously how I got to this point... Ok, I digress... 

Anyway, I despise the taste and research behind SF items. I do not personally like the taste of Spenda, Sweet and Low, Stevia, etc. I also think it's so over processed and chemicals. (In making them SF, they add so many chemicals) I'm having a hard time coming to grips that many of the food choices I will need to make after surgery will be chock full of chemicals.

It's really weighing on me but I'm hoping someone has some advice/ suggestions or SOMETHING because honestly it's one of my biggest fears. I want this surgery to be healthier but I'm not sure if all the choices are really that healthy....  :huh:

NewMe2015 likes this

No one says you have to eat sugar free foods. You can eat clean and natural very easily. It's all about choices.

Good luck!

What Greer said.  Fresh fruit is a beautiful thing.  I use liquid Splenda because I know I have a problem with the real thing (sugar), and a girl's gotta have something to sweeten her hot cocoa and passion iced tea!   ;)

Edited by ToutDeSuite

There are a few of us who eat clean on the forum. There are many choices for things that don't contain any sugar substitutes. I use Optimum Nutrition protein powder (they are one of two that have a version with no artificial sweeteners). I eat Chobani yogurt because it doesn't have any artificial sweeteners. If I do ever add sweetener I use a bit of honey or pure maple syrup, but I can honestly tell you that my sweet tooth has greatly diminished since surgery - it's hard to imagine because I *loved* sweet stuff prior to surgery.

Right after surgery, I had to use some things w/artificial sweetener .. but after coming off of full liquids, I've done very well without going sugar free or using artificial sweeteners.

ETA: I spoke with the NUT before surgery and explained how I wanted to eat and why. He was completely on board. I can't speak for the NUT you may see, but I can tell you that it's your body and you get to always choose what goes into it. I would rather have a bit of sugar here and there instead of the chemicals. Others have a differing view. You get to choose what is best for you.

Edited by Sleevarilla

It will be your choice as Gaviv points out.  I think the impact of sugar is greater for those with RNY and many sleevers don't have issues with sugar.  It will ultimately be your choice to see how it affects you attaining your goals.

No one says you have to eat sugar free foods. You can eat clean and natural very easily. It's all about choices.

Good luck!

You're right! Thank you for the inspiration! :)

What Greer said. Fresh fruit is a beautiful thing. I use liquid Splenda because I know I have a problem with the real thing (sugar), and a girl's gotta have something to sweeten her hot cocoa and passion iced tea! ;)

I completely agree! I'm totally hooked on sugar... Especially with coffee! :)

I saw a recipe just the other day for a baked apple rose that that was sweetened with just apricot preserves.  I would use apricot spreadable fruit, instead, which has no sugar or artificial sweeteners.  Also, if you're concerned about the addictive properties of sugar, I've seen some recipes in which figs and dates are used in place of sugar.  And there's always honey, like Sleevarilla suggested.  

The pre and post-op liquid diet may present a challenge, however, you still have options like baratric protein soups (e.g., Unjury chicken soup).  I used unflavored protein because most of the flavored proteins used an artificial sweetener that gives me headaches.  So, that's another option.  You could mix unflavored protein with milk and unsweetened decaf.  

txpodeanna likes this

There are a few of us who eat clean on the forum. There are many choices for things that don't contain any sugar substitutes. I use Optimum Nutrition protein powder (they are one of two that have a version with no artificial sweeteners). I eat Chobani yogurt because it doesn't have any artificial sweeteners. If I do ever add sweetener I use a bit of honey or pure maple syrup, but I can honestly tell you that my sweet tooth has greatly diminished since surgery - it's hard to imagine because I *loved* sweet stuff prior to surgery.

Right after surgery, I had to use some things w/artificial sweetener .. but after coming off of full liquids, I've done very well without going sugar free or using artificial sweeteners.

ETA: I spoke with the NUT before surgery and explained how I wanted to eat and why. He was completely on board. I can't speak for the NUT you may see, but I can tell you that it's your body and you get to always choose what goes into it. I would rather have a bit of sugar here and there instead of the chemicals. Others have a differing view. You get to choose what is best for you.

This has made me feel so much better! I think all the SF things I was seeing was for the first few weeks post-op. I get the reason behind it. I guess I keep forgetting there is life after mashed foods, lol. Thank you for the reccomendation for the protien powder. My NUT is very supportive of how I want to eat, too. Thanks again!!!

I saw a recipe just the other day for a baked apple rose that that was sweetened with just apricot preserves. I would use apricot spreadable fruit, instead, which has no sugar or artificial sweeteners. Also, if you're concerned about the addictive properties of sugar, I've seen some recipes in which figs and dates are used in place of sugar. And there's always honey, like Sleevarilla suggested.

The pre and post-op liquid diet may present a challenge, however, you still have options like baratric protein soups (e.g., Unjury chicken soup). I used unflavored protein because most of the flavored proteins used an artificial sweetener that gives me headaches. So, that's another option. You could mix unflavored protein with milk and unsweetened decaf.

That's a great idea! You are so helpful!! Thank you!! :)

I use raw honey. It is amazing that 1 tsp now makes things plenty sweet

What about Monk Fruit sweetener?  It's natural and zero calorie. 

Edited by ToutDeSuite

What about Monk Fruit sweetener?  It's natural and zero calorie. 

Hm, I'll have to look into it!  :wub:

I tried it once upon a time, and if I remember right, it wasn't very sweet, but then nothing is going to compare to real sugar.  

After my two-week pre-op liquid diet, everything was extremely sweet, so maybe try monk fruit after that -- when your taste buds have been desensitized from sugar.  :)

You might lose your taste for sugar, I did.

ToutDeSuite and Lexuskela like this

I ordered some monk fruit sugar from amazon.  I found it to be sweet enough and no weird metallic after taste.  I haven't tried baking with it.  no oven at the moment. 

ToutDeSuite likes this

I use raw honey. It is amazing that 1 tsp now makes things plenty sweet

Has anyone tried honey in coffee? I like my coffee sweet and I've never found any artificial sweeteners that I like. I've tried almost everything! So.... I wonder what honey will taste like in coffee??

I like honey in tea, but I haven't tried it in coffee. I like honey, period, though ... so there you go. I may be biased.

On hot drinks?  Not that I've noticed. It measures the same and is the consistency of sugar.

Edited by betsymarie

I've discovered Xylitol - it's fanastic!  It's all-natural, and I use it in my coffee as well as in some low carb desserts.  It does have a few calories, but is very low on the glycemic index; lower than honey, agave, etc.  Apparently it can cause some stomach discomfort in large doses, but I haven't experienced anything like that. 

Available at my local grocer and also at the health food/supplement store.