tonyaz77

Anyone had a beer post op?

I've had a low-carbonation microbrew here and there. Ask around. I usually stick to wine or bourbon now though. I didn't partake until 6 months out.

I tried a teeny little sip of diet coke the other day and I was burping like crazy for a while after that. so I'll pass on beer and really any carbonated beverage forever now. Never much liked the stuff to begin with anyway. 

My surgeon has said alcohol of any kind is off my diet forever.  With such a tiny tummy just a couple of sips would knock me on my butt and make me very sick.  I'm not willing to feel awful for something as silly as a drink. I always hated the feeling of being drunk and not in control anyways - just not worth it for me.  People love that I'm the designated driver every time we go out - and it's so much fun watching everyone else make fools of themselves while I sit there and sip my water with lemon.  ;)

Patricia I don't want to question your doctor but that has not been my experience. I'm two years post-sleeve. I bet your doctor is trying to keep you on the straight and narrow, which is well and good, but a little dishonest. I find it interesting how widely doctors differ in their recommendations. In the U.S. a lot of doctors forbid coffee forever. In Australia I was given coffee as one of my first fluids both after the sleeve and the RNY. Trust your doctor but also do your research and figure out what works out for you, is my advice.

Patricia I don't want to question your doctor but that has not been my experience. I'm two years post-sleeve. I bet your doctor is trying to keep you on the straight and narrow, which is well and good, but a little dishonest. I find it interesting how widely doctors differ in their recommendations. In the U.S. a lot of doctors forbid coffee forever. In Australia I was given coffee as one of my first fluids both after the sleeve and the RNY. Trust your doctor but also do your research and figure out what works out for you, is my advice.

I agree with you Misty, 100%

I told my doctor that I'm a home brewer he said that I shoul take myfirst drinks at home so I can see how it would affect m. he said alcohol of any kind can "possibly" affect me differently. I still weigh nearly 200 lbs so a drink ill not knock me on my butt, but since I've lost 33% of my body volume, i do have to watch out to some degree and can't knock them back like I used to.

all that said, when I drink (only on days that end with a y and never before 6am), its about the same as it always was.

PS, I too drink more wine an bourbon than beer these days, but I still love my home brews

I did have a beer within 30 days post-op on a fishing trip. The beer coors light, extrememy cold and savored every swallow trying to work the bubbles out and maximize the taste. I sipped it slowly and enjoyed it with no ill effects.

When I'm having a tough day at work or if I know I'm going to be cooking dinner on the BBQ I will call my wife and ask her to open a beer for me and keep it in the fridge. I never thought a flat beer would work for me...but damn if it doesn't.

No way around the carbos they have... but flat beer works for me too. If both of you are sleevers you may not be affected by alcohol the same way a person with a bypass is affected. 

At my stage - if I haven't worked out and burned the calories that day, no alcohol allowed. Keeps me in the gym...