tonyaz77

Anyone had a beer post op?

Hi All,

I know this is bad to ask but I would like a ice cold beer and I am almost 3 months post op sleeve. I have lost almost 80 lbs and have followed my teams rules and it has really paid off. Just curious if any sleevers out there had a beer post op. If its too soon to have one its fine just wanted to get some feedback.

Thanks

First it is not bad. Asking about having a drink or food at a few months out, everyone does it.  :)   

If you decide to have one, no matter what any one else says or not, hope you enjoy it and it goes down well. If not, I hope you don't regret your decision and enjoy your weight loss and whatever way you find to celebrate. I'll be happy for you, hoping all goes well no matter what you decide. 

:)       I was pretty well judged and hung out to dry, to the wind, because I have problems from the surgery, so I have problems when people use the value labels on food. 

It's not something I'd recommend as early out as you. First off, many programs don't even want alcohol consumed for the first year so I would check with yours for their guidelines. Second, carbonation can be very uncomfortable in a sleeve as it consumes more space than the liquid alone. I, and I know of others, have tried carbonated drinks and regretted it. Finally, and this is a global statement, be careful of addiction transfer. Many struggle with compensating for the loss of an addiction to food and find themselves in trouble with other things like alcohol. I'm not saying you have or will have this issue, but it is something to be aware of...food for thought.

Awesome advice. Thanks everyone :)

It's not something I'd recommend as early out as you. First off, many programs don't even want alcohol consumed for the first year so I would check with yours for their guidelines. Second, carbonation can be very uncomfortable in a sleeve as it consumes more space than the liquid alone. I, and I know of others, have tried carbonated drinks and regretted it. Finally, and this is a global statement, be careful of addiction transfer. Many struggle with compensating for the loss of an addiction to food and find themselves in trouble with other things like alcohol. I'm not saying you have or will have this issue, but it is something to be aware of...food for thought.

What he said  :)

I don't want to find out what carbonation feels like- even if I do miss some bubbly drinks- Prosecco anyone?

I stopped by a local brewery a few days ago to pick up some of their beer to use in making soap. The guy who owns the place was stoked that I wanted to use his beer to make soap and took me on a tour of the whole place. He pulled a small glass for me to smell and I took a sip. It didn't hurt or cause problems, but I wouldn't want to drink any more than that sip. He also gave me a growler of the beer for free to make soap, lol, as long as I bring him some after it's cured.

It makes me feel explosive. I'll pass!

All I know, is that many people have gone to carbonated beverages after WLS and it has basically sabotaged all of their hard work. I haven't had a carbonated beverage in 1 1 /2 years. I am so terrified of drinking them, that I have even had dreams where I am drinking a soft drink! I'm so thankful when I wake up and discover it was just a dream!!! I love water now. Propel. Coconut Water. Protein 2 0....nothing with bubbles! LOL!

I had 3 oz wine Easter weekend. No bubbles, so that small amount went ok.

I have tasted diet soda and the carbonation is uncomfortable past a couple ounces. So not worth buying really to throw most of it out.

Not beer - but I tried a sip of club soda a while ago.  OUCH.  No bubbles for me.

I'm waiting for my first beer after the Sixth month, kinda scared to be honest to try something carbonated at the moment.

I'm waiting for my first beer after the Sixth month, kinda scared to be honest to try something carbonated at the moment.

I wouldn't drink beer again, I tried a carbonated drink once and I did not like the feeling, never again.

Really papaG?? well, I better stay from alcohol, I'll try something like a bourbon or wine in christmas or New year.

Thanks PapaG!

Really papaG?? well, I better stay from alcohol, I'll try something like a bourbon or wine in christmas or New year.

Thanks PapaG!

Yeah, I don't like the feeling of carbonated drinks at all now. I've always preferred bourbon so giving it up was easy for me.

Last night I had 1/4 cup 7 up and threw up. Carbonation is not my friend

I had a beer last week. sipped it slow and it was great - no discomfort. Micholob Ultra (low carb) my doctor said that beer like everything else must be accounted for for - so those carbs have to be included in what I consume that day. I know many have stated that there is a risk of replacing one addiction with another and I can certainly see that could be an issue but I believe that even the bad things are O.K. in moderation.

I had a cocktail last weekend, I had an absolute with crystal light raspberry lemonade, I had one. I measure and only put a shot in the big red solo cup with lots of ice and crystal light. I felt a lil funny drinking and while i could not taste the alcohol, I did "feel' a lil silly after one drink....I did not have two..stopped at one...and have no plans to have nother cocktail until July 4th weekend....but no beer or carbonated beverages for me....

Last drink I had was about a month ago-vodka and grapefruit juice. It was too strong for me-think I'll stick with white wine.

I've had beer. I just drink it real slow. It gets warm before I've had even half of it. 

It depends on the beer. The "cheaper" it is, the more uncomfortable it can be. Most craft beers seem to have less carbonation than main stream (budweiser, Miller, etc) stuff. I have had a few and as long as I sip and don't overdo it, it isn't too bad. You will burp a lot for sure but the overall discomfort seems to vary from person to person. I have had no real ill effects but I don't drink fast at all and being an expensive craft beer snob, I don't drink much or often either.

I love good beer and haven't had any problems drinking it unless I try to eat food along with it.  I also do fine with seltzer and diet coke as long as I drink it from a cup with ice and not from a bottle or can.  I account for the beer in my food diary and enjoy it a couple times a month.

beer seems to really bother my sleeve. wine and liquor i've been fine with. that carbonation just isn't worth it for me.

I've had plenty of beers, cheap and craft styles... the main thing is, if the carbonation gets to you, pour it into a glass/cup. Pouring it forces bubbly activity (technical sciencey term, I dont expect you to know all the terminology)  and then the wider suface at the top allows for faster flatening. This way, some of the carbonation gets released before it gets cold.

It will still have a nice mouth feel, but not as much carbonation.

Edited by uglydude