mswanson502

Won't drain seroma

I'm currently 6 months post-op from a tummy tuck and breast augmentation. I have a seroma below my belly button and one above as well. When I was 3 months post-op my PS refused to drain them. I went back yesterday at 6 months post-op. The one above my belly button is now hard and painful (mildly) and hinders me from eating. He again refused to drain it saying that it will only make it come back. He did say that the one above my belly button did not feel like a seroma and that he'd check it again in 3 months. Should I be concerned or trust he knows what he's doing? I really can't afford to go get a 2nd opinion at this time so am kinda stuck.

Hello

Thanks for your question.

Seromas can be quite a nuissance after body contouring surgery and are best treated early.

The longer a seroma stays, the more gelatinous the fluid becomes and evenutally gets replaced with scar tissue.

If you are not happy with your plastic surgeon's management of the seroma, even after you have expressed your concerns to him, then getting another opinion would be very reasonable.

Here in Southern California most plastic surgeons offer complimentary consultations including second opinions, but I do not know if this is true in Louisiana.

An ultrasound is a very useful tool in determining whether or not you have a seroma and if it is still drainable.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Sincerely,

Abhay Gupta, MD FACS.

Thank you Dr. Gupta.  He ended up telling me that the seroma above my navel seemed to be full of fluid in the tissue only, making it harder, and that the one below my navel was fluid between the skin and muscle (I think).  He said that if it's not better 1 year after surgery, then he would consider draining it, but that it would just come back. 
I also have noticed that I have skin drooping by my hip bones.  It's not as bad as before surgery, but it's definitely not pretty or what I expected.  He said that it happens a lot, and that I'll need another surgery to fix it.  Does all of this sound like good advice?

Your surgeon and I manage seromas very differently.

It is not normal to have a lot of excess skin come back only 6 months after a tummy tuck.

But it's hard for me to comment without seeing any pictures or examining your tissues.

I really think you'd benefit from another opinion with a different plastic surgeon who can examine you and discuss options.

Sincerely,

Abhay Gupta, MD FACS

Thank you very much! I'll look into getting a 2nd opinion. I appreciate your advice.