2bskinny43

one month post Sleeve to RNY

10 posts in this topic

Today is one month post op conversion of sleeve to RNY. Other than the period of dehydration that was ultimately caused from me not starting the Prilosec once I got home (I felt the capsules I had were too large and I would start it once I healed a bit). Led to severe abdominal pain and nausea, I didn't eat for four days, I have felt great! Have lost nine pounds, but weight loss isn't the reason for the conversion. I know I never got to goal with the Sleeve. I don't let that bother me. I am happy where I am right now. I am 5'8" so a little extra weight doesn't look too bad on me. I just don't plan to ever be the big girl I was at 318 lb again!

Hope everyone is well! I am karlottap on mfp. if anyone wants to friend me there. I haven't been using it very long, but I do like it, I have no friends yet, but like it.

chloella9926, Julie_T and klynn like this

Congrats on the weight loss!! If you don't mind, why did you have the revision? I had the sleeve done 05/2010 and am not looking at a revision. I never got to goal and the weight is coming back. 

Thank you

She had a botched sleeve, they never even made it correctly... never really made a sleeve even.  It is very odd.   She can explain it better, but that is the gist of it.

As a sleever with a still functioning sleeve and who has also gained some (25lbs) back -  it is all due to ME and my eating choices and frequency.  All my issues, not my sleeves.   What do you feel is yours?

Edited by Jolls

Sorry I missed this reply! Like Joll's mentioned, my sleeve wasn't built properly from the beginning. I truly don't think my surgeon knew what he was doing. What I wound up with was a regular looking stomach with a sort of pouch on top, if that makes any sense. I've even thought he may have gone in with RNY on the brain and started building an RNY pouch and then realized he had messed up. I don't know. He was fired, for malpractice issues right after I switched surgeons.

The biggest problem was the fact that I would vomit bile. Anytime, day or night, and I lived nauseated from about four months post sleeve until the very day I had the conversion to RNY. I don't know if this was due to the botched surgery or not. No medical professional will admit that. The only thing I got from a radiologist was the statement, "I don't know what you had done, but it wasn't a Sleeve." That and the upper GI report is the only confirmation I have ever gotten that it's not been in my head.

So now it's just easier to say I had the conversion because of GERD. That's an easier explanation.

Thank you for the replies. That's crazy and totally sucks about the botched sleeve. 

From the very beginning, I never felt full. I never got to goal weight. I think I went in very uneducated as well. The hospital I went to had just started focusing more on the sleeve. I also had issues with one of the PA's and I let that get in the way of my goals. A friend of mine is having the sleeve done at the same hospital this month and the changes they have made to the program in 5 years is astonishing. I had very few things I had to do on my end before surgery. Post surgery, I only had one appointment. I understand that i'm a grown person but I needed more guidance for something so life changing. My friend already has her 3 of her post op appointments scheduled for her. 

I did fairly well with losing but never really got under 200. I did so many diet changes but I was always still hungry. 18 months post op, I got pregnant. Sadly our little girl was born still. I lost all of my pregnancy weight with her and got pregnant again a few months later. After our youngest was born, I did okay with the weight loss. Still needed to lose 15 lbs when my Dad died. The weight has been coming back on and I've tried everything again to lose it but it won't come off. 

Thank you for the replies. That's crazy and totally sucks about the botched sleeve. 

From the very beginning, I never felt full. I never got to goal weight. I think I went in very uneducated as well. The hospital I went to had just started focusing more on the sleeve. I also had issues with one of the PA's and I let that get in the way of my goals. A friend of mine is having the sleeve done at the same hospital this month and the changes they have made to the program in 5 years is astonishing. I had very few things I had to do on my end before surgery. Post surgery, I only had one appointment. I understand that i'm a grown person but I needed more guidance for something so life changing. My friend already has her 3 of her post op appointments scheduled for her. 

I did fairly well with losing but never really got under 200. I did so many diet changes but I was always still hungry. 18 months post op, I got pregnant. Sadly our little girl was born still. I lost all of my pregnancy weight with her and got pregnant again a few months later. After our youngest was born, I did okay with the weight loss. Still needed to lose 15 lbs when my Dad died. The weight has been coming back on and I've tried everything again to lose it but it won't come off.

Sorry about the loss of your baby and your Dad. Hugs. Jen
slvilla likes this

Today is one month post op conversion of sleeve to RNY. Other than the period of dehydration that was ultimately caused from me not starting the Prilosec once I got home (I felt the capsules I had were too large and I would start it once I healed a bit). Led to severe abdominal pain and nausea, I didn't eat for four days, I have felt great! Have lost nine pounds, but weight loss isn't the reason for the conversion. I know I never got to goal with the Sleeve. I don't let that bother me. I am happy where I am right now. I am 5'8" so a little extra weight doesn't look too bad on me. I just don't plan to ever be the big girl I was at 318 lb again!

Hope everyone is well! I am karlottap on mfp. if anyone wants to friend me there. I haven't been using it very long, but I do like it, I have no friends yet, but like it.

Wow, glad you only ended up with a botched sleeve! Awful. Best wishes for success with your conversion. Jen

My conversion has been amazing! I feel so much better without all of the nausea....that I lived with for so long! Total loss is 23 pounds so far. It's definitely slow, but I can tell that I will be much more successful with my pouch than I was with the sleeve.

Melville, so sorry for your loss! I cannot imagine how much pain that must be.

slvilla likes this

Sorry slvilla* not Melville (stupid autocorrect, lol!).

How have you been since your sleeve to RNY revision?  Still doing ok?