Braveheart

Very little weight loss

9 posts in this topic

Hi all
I have had my lap band fitted on the 28/09/2014. (10ml band) The first 4 weeks I lost 15lb, then since November I have only lost around 4lb. I have had 4 band fills and with not much restriction, until the last fill of 1ml last week which brings me upto 5.25 so hopefully it will start to fall off now.
Can other people please let me know how their first 3 months went? Am I expecting to much too soon
xxx

I haven't had a band but what are you eating, how is your protein, fluids, etc?

I am having fruit or one Warburton flat bread for breakfast.

Baked sweet potatoes & beans for lunch.

Veg and meat for tea. The meat is not going down since my last fill.

I drink decaf tea milk no sugar. 1500 mls of water a day and a glass of wine at the weekend.

I eat the odd hand full of cashew nuts for protian or small piece of fruit for a snack.

I use a side plate chew for 20 and only eat for less then 20 mins x

Are you tracking what you eat, do you know how many grams of protein and carbs you're getting.  Sounds like you're getting a good amount of fruits which can translate into a lot of carbs.  Keeping your carbs low and protein high will promote greater weight loss.

Braveheart likes this

Thank you I am tracking my food more now.

What was everyone weightloss the first 3 months?

X

The majority of your meals should be all protein. What I was taught 4 oz of lean protein is your meal, any extra room can be filled with non-starchy veggies. 

I by no means am an expert but here is kind of a sample of what my days look like:

Breakfast: 1 egg with 1 serving turkey sausage- small amount of cheese

Lunch- "Salad": 2-3 oz protein (ham/turkey/chicken), 2 oz of mixed nuts/dried fruit, small apple and small amount of spinach leaves. 

Dinner: 4-5 oz lean protein (chicken/fish mostly) with side veggie 

(all though i have been known to only eat protein at dinner)

I would think you are consuming more carbs than you think, but i do seriously caution you from comparing your weight-loss to others. There is no gauge to say yes you are losing correctly or you aren't. We all started at different places/weights with completely different situations. And to be quite honest, we sometimes don't end up where we imagined.

Would I like to weigh less? YES! ALWAYS!

But I have hit a point now where I am losing sizes/inches but not pounds, and that can be a huge blow when you are working really hard.

But I have to stop and remind ask myself- am I eating the way I should? Am exercising? And if the answer is honestly yes to both, I know I am doing all that I can, and I have a completely different life than I did before!

Always take a moment to look back on where you started- looking at pictures from before can be a HUGE help, and always remember... it may not be exactly where you want to be, but it is a whole lot better than when you started

Bdiamond 23 and Braveheart like this

Thank you Britt Britt that helps

I have just watched Paul o Briens 8 golden rules on utube, which I thought was useful. He advices to only eat a meal if you are hungry not because it is a meal time.

I think I am eating to much because my hospital told me to alway eat 3 meals a day textured food and 2 snacks if needed.

One of the reasons I had this band was I have an under active thyroid and found it hard to lose weight. Plus I ate around 10 veg a day with a little chicken.

X

I have found that every surgeon has his/her own little preferences. I was told that the goal was to eat 3 small meals a day. No snacks, as its really easy to rack up a lot of calories when you eat 2 extra little meals in a day

I was told the goal was to feel hungry every 4-5 hours. They really dont want the band to be so tight that you are going for more than 5 hours without eating... then you are too hungry and its easy to over-eat.

I eat around 6:30am, 11:30, and 5:30

The only exception is on days that I take an exercise class at 6, I have a protein-bar snack (Quest Bars are AWESOME) to be able to wait until after 7pm for dinner 

BrittBritt, with your three meals a day may I ask how many calories your getting? So 3 ounces 3 times a day? Thats what my Dr said. How about protein? I get about 500 calories in, 50 grams of protein :-)